Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

First Dance Song

I got married about 2 weeks ago. We chose "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" by Bryan Adams for our first dance. It's been my all time favorite song ever since it came out, and I've always dreamed of dancing to it at my wedding. My brother and his wife also danced to this song at their wedding two years ago. My brother knew it was my favorite song, but I didn't say anything because I wasn't even engaged at the time and I knew I couldn't claim the song. Well, my sister in law is very upset with me for "copying" her. She stormed out of the reception after the song. She has told my family she no longer wants a relationship with me and is never speaking to me again, won't be joining us for family dinners, etc. Is she taking this too far, or do I deserve it?

Re: First Dance Song

• Easy answer (that you already know) she is taking it too far, and no, you don't deserve it.   OMG.    If this is the first unreasonable and unstable thing from her you have ever witnessed, I would be surprised.   
  • I got married about 2 weeks ago. We chose "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" by Bryan Adams for our first dance. It's been my all time favorite song ever since it came out, and I've always dreamed of dancing to it at my wedding. My brother and his wife also danced to this song at their wedding two years ago. My brother knew it was my favorite song, but I didn't say anything because I wasn't even engaged at the time and I knew I couldn't claim the song. Well, my sister in law is very upset with me for "copying" her. She stormed out of the reception after the song. She has told my family she no longer wants a relationship with me and is never speaking to me again, won't be joining us for family dinners, etc. Is she taking this too far, or do I deserve it?
    This has got to be MUD. Are you guys all 18 years old? 
  • Haha, I wish I were making this up. And no, late 30s. Which is why I'm so surprised, as I didn't even deal with this drama in high school.

Actually, not the first unreasonable thing. She's been upset with me throughout the whole wedding planning process, as I apparently didn't spend enough time with her or talk to her enough (she's a BM). So I think there's more to it.
  • Haha, I wish I were making this up. And no, late 30s. Which is why I'm so surprised, as I didn't even deal with this drama in high school.

Actually, not the first unreasonable thing. She's been upset with me throughout the whole wedding planning process, as I apparently didn't spend enough time with her or talk to her enough (she's a BM). So I think there's more to it.
    So then talk to her and have an adult conversation. 
  • She refuses to speak to me.
  • Girl, she stormed out over a fucking Bryan Adams song. Leave her to her little tantrum and get on with your life. She sounds exhausting.

• My goodness! If she wants to make that much of a fuss and no longer participate in family dinners over a song (p.s. pretty sure "everyone" married in the 90's after Robin Hood came out had their first dance to that song- she didn't get the rights to it), I'd say GOOD!

Ignore this drama. She is allowed to feel whatever she wants to feel, but you don't have to own it or apologize for it.
  • She refuses to speak to me.
    Then I guess she's solved the problem for you? 

She's being ridiculous. It seems also there might be some underlying issues. It all comes down to this - how much do you care to continue a relationship with your brother's wife. 
  • You don't really mention your relationship with your brother but I'll add this. Try your best not to bring this up constantly, with him or even your parents, esp. speaking as the martyr.

I don't know if your SIL is run of the mill PITA or could actually be controlling/abusing your brother, so for his sake try and keep an open line of communication. She could be searching for any reason to isolate your brother and this may be it, so try not to bad mouth her to your brother, lest she "wins" by proving your family doesn't like her.

• Seriously? Omg that is alittle childish. It isn't like you bought the same dress.