Wedding Etiquette Forum

French manicure turning yellow-orange!

I noticed earlier in the week that my manicure was turning yellow-orange on my right hand. I thought I just got stuff on it and went and got my nails re-done today with a french shellac. Same place I always go to and 3 hours later the white tips are orange on my right hand again! I'm also starting to see it on the edge of my left hand as well. 

I've never had this problem before and from what I can tell Google seems to suggest that it's due to heat/humidity. It has been rather warm in my area for the last week but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this and what I can do to correct and/or prevent it?

Photo so you can see what I mean.

Anniversary

Re: French manicure turning yellow-orange!

• I thought it might be the shellac but I had the last one that turned orange done at a different salon. Today I was at the same place I always go. It's so annoying though. Feels like $30 in the crapper. 
    Anniversary
  • I've heard that UV exposure can turn gel and acrylic nails yellow. Have you been out in the sun a lot or in tanning beds?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_french-manicure-turning-yellow-orange?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:85e551c6-5c24-439c-b041-e1a5e7ca127bPost:95765354-7379-44c6-aa35-6bb50b4f8299">Re:French manicure turning yelloworange!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've heard that UV exposure can turn gel and acrylic nails yellow. Have you been out in the sun a lot or in tanning beds?
    Posted by LeiselEB[/QUOTE]
    Nope, I don't go tanning and after the manicure I went grocery shopping and came straight home.<div>
    </div><div>With the shellac they expose the nails to a UV light, but I've been having this done for over a year now and have only had this problem in the last two weeks. </div>
    Anniversary
  • Hm. I've never had a French manicure with shellac but when I used to get acrylics they'd get pretty yellow after being in the sun, and I know the same thing happened to people who went tannig. I wondered if the same thing might be happening with the shellac. That's weird though, I'd definitely go back in and see what they can do.
  • I'll definitely be going back to talk to them about it. It's weird that it's only on one hand too. 

Thanks ladies.
    Anniversary
  • I had it happen a couple of times, and it ended up being the presciption lotion I was using on my hands. Are you using any kind of strong product like that?
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_french-manicure-turning-yellow-orange?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:85e551c6-5c24-439c-b041-e1a5e7ca127bPost:d423227c-2885-433b-92ab-d58abad6a577">Re: French manicure turning yellow-orange!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had it happen a couple of times, and it ended up being the presciption lotion I was using on my hands. Are you using any kind of strong product like that?
    Posted by coopsbaby[/QUOTE]
    No nothing like that. I read that sunscreen can do it and my morning cream has SPF 15 in it but I put it on at like 10 am this morning and got my nails done at 4. Either way, I'm going to go talk to them on Monday when they reopen. 
    Anniversary
  • tesskerrtesskerr member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Hi, I have nothing to add, but i do gel nails ibd and orly gelfx and gels these days are set under a blue led light, but either way it shouldn't turn orange with uv. The only thing I could guess at would be the clear top coat being contaminated with other colors, this happens especially with red, as the red gel usually needs a longer setting time. My other guess maybe the final wipe not done with the correct product. Both of these reasons though would not really explain why it has happened at two different places, so it is probably something you are doing, or a bad batch of shellac that both salons are using? Maybe try a different brand of gel polish?
  • I had a couple of my tips turn yellow-ish. I scrubbed and scrubbed with soap and water. 
    The next morning, I looked and it was back to normal!
  • You're not a smoker are you? Smoking will do it every time.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_french-manicure-turning-yellow-orange?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:85e551c6-5c24-439c-b041-e1a5e7ca127bPost:d0817a70-b48a-44ee-a573-0697edc7a7ac">Re: French manicure turning yellow-orange!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're not a smoker are you? Smoking will do it every time.
    Posted by lobster93[/QUOTE]

Definitely not! Haha.. I was just thinking yesterday how my nails probably are making me look like a smoker.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards