Attire & Accessories Forum

Particular MIL Dress Help

I need help!  My MIL has scoliosis and thus an arched back.  She's super sensitive to it, to the point where she has decided not to do the Mother/Son dance because she's worried about the angles.

She has been trying to find a 1920's style fringe dress like this but long and with three quarter length sleeves.

I've tried helping her as well and can't find anything, but I really want her to have the dress she wants and don't want to tell her I've also had no luck.

Any ideas on where she may be able to find one, or of another similar style?

Re: Particular MIL Dress Help

• Maybe a good seamstress can make one?
  • Agree with Cat.  Also, if your MIL finds a long, sleeveless dress in an easier to match color (navy, black, gold, etc.) maybe a seamstress could add sleeves?  It would depend on the material and construction, but adding a sleeve to a sleeveless dress might be feasible. 
    Anniversary

• Etsy?  If you can find someone on etsy who makes similar style dresses they might be able to make the modifications you want.
  •  SwissMs said:
    Etsy?  If you can find someone on etsy who makes similar style dresses they might be able to make the modifications you want.

This is good option since they can take her measurements and concerns into account and custom make the dress to her length requirements.  A quick google search landed some results in the $150 range...

Etsy Option by HouseOdRecollections

I also found a few sites that sell "cover-up scraves" in a similar style to what you posted, so maybe that will help?

• Buy a second dress and have someone add the sleeves if you completely aren't able to find one or take the dress to a good fabric store and purchase a comparable material to use for sleeves.  
  • Thanks everyone!  I didn't think of any of these and will share them with her this weekend.
  • My mom actually ended up making my grandma a dress for my wedding. Whatever she gets will likely need to be tailored. My grandma had a significant hump in her back from the scoliosis, so nothing really fits her immediately. 

I think custom is a good idea or having sleeves added. Most of those 20s styles that I've seen are sleeveless so I think finding sleeves would be difficult. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards