DIY Wedding Forum

Is this is a good DIY business idea to help brides?

I was a DIY bride and one thing I wished I had was some extra help with my to-do list! lol. I was a bit overwhelmed by doing everything myself and I got to the point with some things that I could have easily paid someone else because it wasn't worth my time. I basically overestimated the work, so having some where to fall back on would have been nice.  I personally would have paid a little money to save some time. 

So Ive been thinking would it be helpful to have a marketplace "persay" to ask for help for getting a task complete? I could have delegated off so much looking back....

Please let me know if you think this is a good idea or not?

Re: Is this is a good DIY business idea to help brides?

• Thanks so much for responding missfrodo!  Yes, it is what wedding planners do.  However, I couldn't afford a wedding planner...  Thats one of the main reason I did everything myself.

And this would be ONLY for brides finishing to-do lists (not soley for DIY projects).  For example, 
    - Finding someone to give me a list of themed ideas on Etsy for a centerpiece for all my wedding reception tables 
    - A 30 min planning session with to customize a wedding planning checklist
    - Need help with finding inspiration to create wedding invitations on Pinterest 

Thanks for the suggestion too.  I'll consider Craigslist.
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2016
    Honestly, I don't think people need help organizing checklists.  I think most situations fall into one of two categories:

1. They already are the DIY type and know what they are getting into, or
    2. They aren't the DIY type and are laboring under the misapprehension that DIY is always cheaper or prettier or more special and then get in over their heads.

The #1's don't need you and the #2's don't need you scouring Pinterest for them and making their self-inflicted Pinterest DIY time-management nightmare even more involved...they need someone to give them a swift kick to remember that DIY isn't always cheaper (and that they need to also figure out the monetary value of their time) and there isn't shame in store-bought so scale back the DIY to something more manageable.

I realize this makes it sound like I'm down on DIY, and I'm not.  I have a friend who loves DIY projects and it's a great hobby for her.  But I think this Pinteresty B.S. "I have to be the most special ever" stuff can take it too far into making brides (and grooms) think it's the only way to be special (or save money).  It's one thing to see an idea, like it, and want to incorporate it.  It's another to be spending time looking for themes and inspirations and then paying someone to look for it for you.  If you have the time and inclination (and most of the supplies) then great and go for it, but all too often people don't realize that DIY can be more expensive than many store-bought alternatives unless you already have those materials on hand and they forget to value their time.  That's the actual problem with DIY, not their checklist.  So if your business was about giving people reality checks before they get in over their head, I'd be all over it.  But what you're describing?  Meh.  Spend time looking up centerpieces on etsy?  How about hit up a farmer's market or Sam's club, put some flowers in a dollar store vase and bam, you're done.  Scouring Pinterest for invitation ideas?  Hit up Michael's with one of their millions of coupons they have at any given time and buy a kit...done. 

I like the PP's idea of advertising on Craigslist and seeing if you get any bites if you really are into this idea and want to see if it has potential though (ETA: or as the subsequent poster stated a general errand runner).

ETA:  You also mention in your post that you needed help and were doing everything yourself.  I assume by "I" you mean you plus the other person you were marrying, right?  Cause I think the other thing most other DIY brides could use is the reminder that they are marrying another person who has a vested interest in the planning of the wedding and can help them out.

• So your target customer is "just like you" - remember - you didn't have the money to just hire it out (because you likely didn't do enough research because there is always someone out there who'll do wedding planning work on a budget!), "that bride" - that's just like you - doesn't either.  If anything, the thing to do would be to create a "DIY Zone" type business that doesn't just cater to the DIY wedding market, but other parties as well.  That's an area for a niche that has potential.  The challenge - it's expensive - a licensed kitchen that someone can rent for making their wedding cake or a side-business costs money with licensing, party rooms don't always pay well, etc. etc. etc.  The worst thing you can do for yourself starting a business is "I'm starting this wedding business because I had fun with mine and miss it!" - you'll never turn a profit with that business mind.  OTOH - "I love flowers and there isn't a florist for 60 miles other than the grocery store!  This is a great area with lots of potential customers (wedding, funeral, hospitals, nursing homes, schools, etc.) - I'll get educated on all things floriculture and open up a flower shop!"...  See the difference - "this was fun" and "this is a business"...
  • @jacques27 - I probably messed up by giving examples of to-dos I would be looking for. That necessarily doesn't mean other brides would want it. :-/ Like I would be I interested in a customized checklist. However, it could be something else related to a brides' to-do list that she would interested in. 
    @Ironring - I totally would take that into consideration. I could totally see it working for that case too. 
    @MesmrEwe - this is actually the only reason that I could see. If someone didn't have the money. Since I couldn't afford a wedding planner because of the price, I searched through budget planners too btw. No one really offered up like 'micro' services. They were offering services in a packaged deal. 
  • @jacques27 - I probably messed up by giving examples of to-dos I would be looking for. That necessarily doesn't mean other brides would want it. :-/ Like I would be I interested in a customized checklist. However, it could be something else related to a brides' to-do list that she would interested in. 
    @Ironring - I totally would take that into consideration. I could totally see it working for that case too. 
    @MesmrEwe - this is actually the only reason that I could see. If someone didn't have the money. Since I couldn't afford a wedding planner because of the price, I searched through budget planners too btw. No one really offered up like 'micro' services. They were offering services in a packaged deal. 
    Imagine looking at your bank account with each business model.  At its core, "The only reason to be in business is to make money" - This is a business and you've got to pay the electric bill and your rent too.  Search for the reasons why they wouldn't offer those services - time.  The packages allow them to make their time budgeted wisely.  Which would you rather work with, 20-30 $5000+ clients or the occasional last minute $200-300 dabble project clients?  The answer really depends on your business model.  
  • I think it's an interesting concept.  I see exactly what you are saying, @turksbride.  There are a lot of industries where, it's easy to find vendors to do the big stuff, nearly impossible to find people to take the small jobs.

As an analogy, alas I know from experience, most roofers won't get out of bed for less than $5K.  So who is going to help me when I just need a patch on my roof.

A CL ad is a great idea.  You can also print cheap business cards yourself or use Vistaprint.  Post them up on bulletin boards.  Visit a few places, like bridal shops, and offer a 10% referral fee if a bride calls you from a card they gave out.

If you start getting some inquiries and it looks viable, set up a website.  You can set up a basic one yourself for cheap.  Open a business Facebook/Twitter/Instagram accounts.  Look into search engine optimization (SEO) strategies to best get your website to show up in searches related to local weddings.  It sounds much harder than it is, lol.  There are a lot of really basic, easy things you can do to boost your website's natural ranking.  Such as writing helpful blogs about weddings and wedding planning.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would like someone to do the "small" things....like my venue doesn't set up table decorations, etc and while my mom said "you know your family will all help!" I don't want to put guests to work. I can't find ANYONE I can hire for just maybe 2 hours to decorate tables. They all want to be a complete DOC/wedding planner and charge like $1000. I've got some friends who did volunteer to help "with whatever," so I can ask them, but I would still rather pay someone than put my guests to work (even if they offered!).
  • Like TaskRabbit?
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    I think if you go into this, you really need to do the "do it" aspect versus the "plan it" (which is what you listed as examples).

I'm thinking you have a bride who decided it would be a great idea to DIY her centerpieces, has all the materials, but then realizes, "Oh shit, this is taking WAYYYY longer than I thought it would", so you get hired to finish the centerpieces. Or, as said above, someone to do setup and take down of decor.

If you are going to offer creative DIY services, I think you do have to be willing to show you have some talent for it- i.e. making those centerpieces or favours. While I am very much all for paying someone to do something versus spending multiple hours doing something myself that I really don't care for, I am very much against paying for a service where the final product is the same quality I could do myself.

I agree to start by posting ads and see where that gets you. If you get some business, make a website.