Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitation Wording

Trying to decide on invitations and how to word them.
Our issue is that my (bride) dad and step-mom (not married and my mom is deceased) are helping my fiancee and I pay for the wedding. My fiancee's parents are not.
Do we still use "together with their families" or go the more direct route with "Mr. (my dad) and Ms. (step-mom) request your presence at the ..."? My only concern with the latter is that, those who do not know, will assume my step-mom to be my mother and I do not want that to happen. We would like to acknowledge them on the invitation, but thinking it may be better to do so at the reception with a speech?
Suggestions??

Re: Invitation Wording

• Both my parents and FI's are divorced and FFIL is remarried. You can leave it off altogether since it sounds like you're hosting the event by yourselves, but I think Together with their families is a nice touch. It is what we used as well. 
  • I agree with @kimmiinthemitten. If they aren't hosting, you can leave their name off. It wouldn't be proper to have them listed as Mr. and MS. bride's father's name since they aren't married. Their names would be listed on separate lines:

Ms. Girlfriends' name
             and
    Mr. Bridesfather
     etc. 

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    Ms. Jane Stepmother
    Mr. John Bridesfather
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of his daughter
    Bride's First Middle
    to
    Mr. Groom's Full Name
    Saturday, the date of Month
    two thousand seventeen
    Venue
    Address
    City, State  (No zip!)

This wording is if they are hosting.  The bride and groom do not take direct creduit for hosting their own wedding by themselves.  If you prefer, this would also be proper:  This is the traditional wording when a couple are hosting their own wedding, and it does not name hosts.

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    (etc.)

Note that in the first wording, you are referred to as "his daighter", not "their daughter".  Two people who are not married should not be on the same line of text.  If you use this wording, your father and stepmother will greet your guests, either in a traditional reception line, or during the reception.  You can always honor them with a toast at the reception, whether they are listed as hosts, or not.
    Of course, if this is a church wedding, you use the phrase "honour of your presence" instead of "pleasure of your company".
    You could also use "together with their families", but this is not traditional wording.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    P.S. Just because your dad and step mom are paying for the wedding does not necessarily mean they are hosting. The invitation is to state who the hosts are, so guests who know who to contact, and who is getting married- not who paid for it.
  • SP29 said:
    P.S. Just because your dad and step mom are paying for the wedding does not necessarily mean they are hosting. The invitation is to state who the hosts are, so guests who know who to contact, and who is getting married- not who paid for it.
    Yes. The wedding is not a playbill. The only persons "honored" by a wedding invitation are the guests -- not the persons listed on it.

And who is paying for what is none of the guests' business. It has no bearing on how wedding invitations should be worded.
  • On the other hand, if your Dad and Stepmother are hosting your wedding, it is good to list them as hosts.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg