Wedding Woes

Tuesday

Re: Tuesday

• Parents of small children, any Christmas present ideas for a 2 year old? I have a 2 year old boy for a Christmas angel program and all it said was Paw Patrol. So I plan to get some sort of stuffed character and maybe a toy related to it but I"m trying to think of something else non Paw Patrol. Maybe building blocks or some other kind of learning but fun toy.  Suggestions? 
  • Hugs all around! 

I admin a group on Facebook that is really just for fun, no real purpose. Last week, I had a guy post a meme that read, "so...can we start grabbing pussy yet or do we wait for him to be sworn in???"  I replied to start whenever he was ready for sore balls, was told I was harsh, replied "Sexual harassment usually is." I was then told "It's like a handshake just a little lower." To which I replied, "That's funny because when I was sexually assaulted that's the excuse I was given." This apparently makes me a downer. I then shared on my personal page the story of my sexual assault and why that meme pisses me off. Most of the response was good. 

Took Mouse to the pediatrician this morning for his 9 month check up. He's the size of an average one year old. He got a flu shot and did great with it! He just kind of yelled at the nurse and that was it. The doctor told me that we need to hire a babysitter and go spend some time alone together. H was just talking last night about renting a hotel room for the night and getting a sitter for Mouse. I told him this morning that if he wants to do that, he'll have to plan it because I'm not going to. I have a hard time inflicting my baby who still wakes 2-3 times a night on other people.

Tonight, I'll be baking a cake for my oldest's birthday tomorrow. He'll be 20. 
  • kvruns said:
    Parents of small children, any Christmas present ideas for a 2 year old? I have a 2 year old boy for a Christmas angel program and all it said was Paw Patrol. So I plan to get some sort of stuffed character and maybe a toy related to it but I"m trying to think of something else non Paw Patrol. Maybe building blocks or some other kind of learning but fun toy.  Suggestions? 

Duplos are awesome.  They can be anything a kid likes--especially if you get a general set and not specific character set.  (Although even those will work.)  Cars.  A set of toy animals.  Play-doh.  (Great for building fine motor skills.)  Wooden blocks.  Crayons and paper.  (Also good for fine motor.)  BOOKS.
  • Heffalump said:
    kvruns said:
    Parents of small children, any Christmas present ideas for a 2 year old? I have a 2 year old boy for a Christmas angel program and all it said was Paw Patrol. So I plan to get some sort of stuffed character and maybe a toy related to it but I"m trying to think of something else non Paw Patrol. Maybe building blocks or some other kind of learning but fun toy.  Suggestions? 

Duplos are awesome.  They can be anything a kid likes--especially if you get a general set and not specific character set.  (Although even those will work.)  Cars.  A set of toy animals.  Play-doh.  (Great for building fine motor skills.)  Wooden blocks.  Crayons and paper.  (Also good for fine motor.)  BOOKS.
    thanks! are Duplos the same as Mega Bloks? I've heard of both but I dont know if there is a difference or if it is just semantics
  • Wow, screw Tuesday for everyone. @AtomicBlonde that really sucks, I hope you get good news. The pet ER is so stressful because it's so expensive, and you want to do all you can for them since they're family members, but you you can't ask them pet how they're feeling. Hopefully it's just a med adjustment. 

My day is really a FWP today compared to everyone else. I sat through a 2 hour meeting today which was really more like sitting around and chatting. There was good coffee and coffee cake, but seriously so pointless. 

Also election feelings: I'm emotionally burnt out. Last night we had a townhall meeting because a student of color was attacked the day after the elections and racial slurs were shouted at her during the attack. It was horrible. I don't really know how to make them feel safe, because frankly they don't feel safe and there isn't much I can say. 
  • Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the thoughts and wishes.

I didn't make it. I was a mile away from the vet when the cardiologist called. He's gone.

Sorry to ruin Tuesday.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Oh @AtomicBlonde, that's terrible. I'm so sorry for your loss. 
  • Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the thoughts and wishes.

I didn't make it. I was a mile away from the vet when the cardiologist called. He's gone.

Sorry to ruin Tuesday.

Oh, no.  I'm so sorry.  (((hugs)))
  • sorry to hear that @atomicblonde
  • @AtomicBlonde - I'm really sorry for your loss. Poor Toothless. 
  • The doctor told me that we need to hire a babysitter and go spend some time alone together. H was just talking last night about renting a hotel room for the night and getting a sitter for Mouse. I told him this morning that if he wants to do that, he'll have to plan it because I'm not going to. I have a hard time inflicting my baby who still wakes 2-3 times a night on other people.

@DrillSergeantCat - does this mean that the hygiene issue has been resolved?
  • kvruns said:
    Heffalump said:
    kvruns said:

thanks! are Duplos the same as Mega Bloks? I've heard of both but I dont know if there is a difference or if it is just semantics

I, personally, am not a fan of Mega Bloks.  YMMV.  I had the MB First Builders for DS when he was tiny, because they were even bigger than the Duplos, and they were just okay.  In general, I prefer Lego/Duplo, but giving a kid MB certainly wouldn't be a terrible gift or anything.
  • Hugs and positive vibes all around! 

I'm so sorry @AtomicBlonde. Sending you lots of hugs and support.

Congratulations @VarunaTT! Keep looking -- there's something even better out there for you.

So far so good with work. I'm training the new courier/clerk, and he's catching on fast. Smart guy with a great attitude and what seems to be a good work ethic. 

Tonight Housemate, FW, and I are going to a meeting sponsored by our local peace action organization. It's either going to be really fascinating and motivating or overwhelming and disheartening. I'm hoping for the former.

Things are falling into place for Thanksgiving. We're serving dinner at a friend's church, then possibly going to a diner for dessert (unless we go to my family's) and getting ready for our Friday Gratitude Feast. I'm hoping at least my Dad comes (Mom has terrible dander allergies). My nephew might come with my Dad, but my niece is my Mom's shadow and won't be separated from her.
  • kvruns said:
    Don't do they stuffed animal. Do this. Book and toys in one. 
    https://www.amazon.com/Paw-Patrol-My-Busy-Book/dp/2764330898/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479234240&sr=8-1&keywords=paw+patrol+busy+book

Im trying to think ahead a little but sneaky snacky squirrel or other young board games. Chunky cars. There's a cartwheel at target for the blaze and monster machine guys. I just picked that up. 
  • Hugs to everyone that needs it. 

Yay for varuna being employed. 

Nothing much here. I Knocked out a bunch of shopping this morning. The only thing left is vodka and dice for nieghbor/family gifts. I'm making cranberry vodka and cinnamon rolls for the neighbors. Those with kid will also get a set of dice for farkle or Yahtzee and activity books with homemade Christmas crayons. 
  • Oh @AtomicBlonde  :( my heart goes out to you! <3 All the hugs!

@DrillSergeantCat  I don't understand why people still think the 'grabbing 'em by the pussy' is okay to even consider! Grr people make me ragey!
  • @AtomicBlonde, I am so, so sorry.  ((hugs)) 
  • @AtomicBlonde  I'm so incredibly sorry. Sending thoughts and hugs.
  • @AtomicBlonde I'm so sorry about Toothless.

@*barbie* I'm not going to say resolved, but it's been better this week. He will shower before we go out, it's the staying in when he skips.

@MissKittyDanger I don't understand it either, but I promise that I will injure any man who tries. 

@6fsn I have a small portion of my Christmas shopping done. I have my mom done and part of Mouse's. Wednesday I'll take care of H. I can't get my oldest to tell me what he wants. MIL will be easy and inexpensive. After that, I've got to figure out what to get SF. 
  • @AtomicBlonde I am so so so sorry.  At least we know he's no longer in pain and you are absolved of the what if's that are involved in health care decisions for aging pups.  I know that is probably not much help now, but hopefully can be later. (hugs)
  • Just seeing your update, @AtomicBlonde. More hugs. I'm so sorry.
  • @{{{hugs}}} @AtomicBlonde, I'm so sorry
  • I'm sorry Atomic.  Know that Toothless isn't in pain anymore.  Also remember how many good years you gave that wonderful pup!
  • Holy shit, so many of you need and deserve all the hugs.  Hugs to everyone.

I haven't been around lately.  Each one of my kids has taken turns being sick since the beginning of Sept: strep, pancreatitis, ear infections, and pneumonia.  It's been quite the rollercoaster.  

My 2yr old has been continuously sick since early Sept. I was told 4 times he had Croup, but then October 7th they decided it was actually pneumonia and his wbc was low.  After weeks of meds and breathing treatments, he's not getting better.  He's still breathing weird, daily fevers, cough, and his wbc is even lower.  They've run a bunch of tests, but nothing explaining wtf is going on.  
                            AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • edited November 2016
    I'm so so sorry, @AtomicBlonde!!! Hugs for you!!! And let your awesome memories of your good times with Toothless be a source of comfort. 

ETA: I can't spell.
  • Hugs all around! 

I admin a group on Facebook that is really just for fun, no real purpose. Last week, I had a guy post a meme that read, "so...can we start grabbing pussy yet or do we wait for him to be sworn in???"  I replied to start whenever he was ready for sore balls, was told I was harsh, replied "Sexual harassment usually is." I was then told "It's like a handshake just a little lower." To which I replied, "That's funny because when I was sexually assaulted that's the excuse I was given." This apparently makes me a downer. I then shared on my personal page the story of my sexual assault and why that meme pisses me off. Most of the response was good. 

SITB

I think many of us could have been even harsher.  Your response was gold.

@atomicblonde, I am so so so sorry.  that's heartbreaking :(

• 6fsn said:
    kvruns said:
    Don't do they stuffed animal. Do this. Book and toys in one. 
    https://www.amazon.com/Paw-Patrol-My-Busy-Book/dp/2764330898/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479234240&sr=8-1&keywords=paw+patrol+busy+book

Im trying to think ahead a little but sneaky snacky squirrel or other young board games. Chunky cars. There's a cartwheel at target for the blaze and monster machine guys. I just picked that up. 
    thanks for the suggestions! That book/toy thing looks pretty cool. I was checking Cartwheel this morning for their toy coupons but I dont know what any of those toys are LOL