Wedding Invitations & Paper

When to send invites?

When would you send invites to a wedding where the majority of guests will be flying in from interstate? I would like them to have enough time to book flights and organise accomodation on what may be a busy weekend. 
STD's are not usually done in our circle - but most family and friends already know the date in advance. However they may not book flights until an official invite is sent. Would 10-12 weeks suffice?

Re: When to send invites?

• When would you send invites to a wedding where the majority of guests will be flying in from interstate? I would like them to have enough time to book flights and organise accomodation on what may be a busy weekend. 
    STD's are not usually done in our circle - but most family and friends already know the date in advance. However they may not book flights until an official invite is sent. Would 10-12 weeks suffice?
    12 weeks is 3 months prior to the wedding...I would aim more toward 10 weeks, as I think 6-8 weeks is the norm.  If you send the invites out any earlier, you risk people setting them aside and losing them, as the event is so far out in the future.  That should still give everyone plenty of time to book flights and hotels.  
    If your wedding is on a holiday weekend or you know of an event that will book every hotel in town at that time, it may be worth it to either send STDs or call up your VIPs to confirm that you will be sending them an invite, if you're worried about hotels and flights selling out early.
  • I sent mine out at 10 weeks. Some people set them aside and forgot about them until the RSVP date but for the most part people seemed to appreciate the bit of extra time. We told the VIPs in advance of the date though so they had a chance to book flights/hotels. 

If you do decide to send them a bit on the earlier side, just make sure your RSVP date isn't also earlier. It should be roughly a week or two in advance of when your final numbers are due to your caterer/venue. Early invitations may not necessarily be rude but asking people to RSVP way too far in advance is. 
  • Thanks, I might do that. Send at 10 weeks out, just to give people plenty of time to book flights and accomodation. 
    I just received an invite last night for a wedding in Feb. So looks like people here do send invites earlier, especially for interstate guests. 
  • Thanks, I might do that. Send at 10 weeks out, just to give people plenty of time to book flights and accomodation. 
    I just received an invite last night for a wedding in Feb. So looks like people here do send invites earlier, especially for interstate guests. 
    February! That's really early. You could send STDs to your OOT guests only.
  • It's not that early....it is almost the end of November after all. I'm guessing that bride wanted to get the invitations out before they could get lost in the holiday card shuffle. 
  • Ten weeks out for wedding invitations seems reasonable, especially when there are few major holidays between now and then.

February! That's really early. You could send STDs to your OOT guests only.
    People in my circle don't really do STDs. It's more of if you know the venue and know the date, just send invites early. That way people actually book it into their calendars. 
    I think 10 weeks should be OK, but I'll reconsider again closer to the time whether it might even be 12 weeks.