Wedding Party

Awful dresses

edited November 2016 in Wedding Party
I despise my bridesmaid dresses. They are so beyond terrible and not what I expected. Do not order off of JJ's House. Our wedding is a little over two months away, where do I go from here? My colors are champagne and merlot.
Another question. Are the grooms suits considered part of the color scheme? Ours are a dark navy. 

Edit: I sent his picture, along with pictures of the other bridesmaids, to the company and they would not take them back. They offered to pay for a portion of the tailoring, but I had already paid JJ's extra money on top of the dress for tailoring.
I was stuck with this company due to the fact that my parents are paying for the whole wedding. So, my mom saw this site and ran with it. I have not had much of an input on our wedding. 

Re: Awful dresses

• You're going to either return these or buy new dresses yourself right?
  • Can you return the BM dresses? I hope so.

Agreed to check out the regular clothing stores. With the holidays coming I am sure you can find something in merlot or champagne.

As for the suits- the suit itself doesn't have to match the theme. As said, this is usually done with the tie/pocket square/ boutonniere. But navy is a neutral, so goes with anything, and it will definitely go very well with both champagne and merlot.
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2016
    Out of curiosity, what were they supposed to look like?

They look exactly what the picture (though in grey) shows...  
    ETA: Minus the need for the need to have the hem adjusted in the above picture...

• I despise my bridesmaid dresses. They are so beyond terrible and not what I expected. Do not order off of JJ's House. Our wedding is a little over two months away, where do I go from here? My colors are champagne and merlot.
    Another question. Are the grooms suits considered part of the color scheme? Ours are a dark navy. 
    JJ's isn't the problem here - the selection of dress was given your BM's frames which will change the look of the dress.  That style/cut is hard to pull off in the first place, but it even shows on the original picture on the site.  At this point, if you hate the dresses that much, you can choose and reorder a different dress as dealing with returns is a PITA overseas, or you can go and purchase a replacement dress for your BM's that you/they like better from someplace like David's that you can physically see the dress first before purchasing.  Also, their website contains some clearance dresses that may be friendlier to your budget along with a real-world credit return policy.  
  • Did you Google JJHouse before ordering? If you had you would have seen that most of the dresses that come from this site don't come as seen on the site. 

Caveat Emptor! There will be Black Friday deals up the wazoo this weekend from reputable sites, I suggest you try one of those.
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Out of curiosity, what were they supposed to look like?

They look exactly what the picture (though in grey) shows...  
    ETA: Minus the need for the need to have the hem adjusted in the above picture...

Yeah, they do and I don't love it here either.

• Either find a great tailor who can maybe raise the waist line and add fullness to the skirt to give it some shape, more like an A-line, or try and return and buy new dresses. As PPs noted it's Black Friday you might find some great deals. 
  • I'm the only who bought all of these dresses, and I can not return them. 
  • I'm the only who bought all of these dresses, and I can not return them. 
    If they can't be returned you can either try and resell them and choose a different dress, or find a great tailor who can try and adjust them, so they fit your BM's better. 
  • It looks like JJ's House is a Chinese knockoff site. There are several posts on here about the dangers of ordering through sites like these. They take designer dresses and use cheap material/ slave labour to give you a discount.  This looks like a knockoff of a Pronovias dress. This is the danger of ordering without trying anything on and ordering a knock off to save money.

But that being said, to fix this situation,  I would say go out with your BMs to a shop and buy off the peg. With New Years coming up, I think you will have several options in the metallic gold/ champagne. Are your BMs local? Because I definitely think you should go to a brick and mortar shop to try on options.

Also, I hope you are covering the cost of these new dresses as well as it is not your bridesmaid's fault your mother ordered from a knockoff site. 
  • If the BMs were supposed to reimburse you, eat the cost of those dresses and then tell your BMs to go out now and pick any champagne dress of X length off the rack.

Congrats, you have mismatched BMs!  This is a very nice look and it ensures that everyone is wearing a dress they love and that flatters them.
    Macy's has a bunch of cute champagne dresses right now!
  • Maybe best to accessorize it if you don't have any plans of returning it? A bridal belt, brooch or some hair jewelry will surely help. And a bold makeup will surely spice it up! :) Best of luck!

• I went ahead and ordered a different dress from a site I have had to order my bridesmaids dresses from for other weddings. I do love them.
    JJ's definitely is a knock off. When I had emailed them, they told me that the color was different because my swatch color is off a different line of the one they used for my dresses. So, they offered me a 10% off my next purchase
  • Con't.. I took a dress to a seamstress where they told me it was going to be $100 because of the pleading needing to be individually pressed after hemming. I decided to eat the cost. Over $1000 later, and I have new dresses.  
  • That's a bummer OP, sorry you had to deal with that. Glad you have new dresses that you're happy with.