Wedding Woes
Options

To pin or not to pin

Dear Prudence,
I’m a white woman married to an American-born Pakistani man. We’ve both been feeling rattled by the election and have each taken separate measures to uphold our political and social ideals for the future, including making monthly donations to organizations who support our beliefs. Beyond this, I’ve started to volunteer helping refugees in our area and have begun wearing a Black Lives Matter button on my coat. We live in a predominantly white county in a swing state that went red this year. I feel that this button is a small but persistent way to demonstrate my support of the movement while also challenging my community. My husband does not want me to wear it because he’s worried about my being harassed in public. I stay home with our son—I don’t wear this to an office, just places like the grocery store, bank, library, etc. I explained my reasoning behind it and he agreed to drop the issue but still shows some signs of disapproval when I get dressed to go out. Am I in the right here, or is the button an ineffective way to support the movement?

—Not Hiding It

Re: To pin or not to pin

• Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2016
    What if the husband just doesn't support the BLM movement and doesn't want to say as much?