Wedding Party
Options

Flower girl question

hi girls. I have a couple closer girl questions...

So my 7 year old cousin is estatic to be my flower girl and she's the only chicks in the wedding. I found the dress and head piece I LOVE LOVE LOVE for her but I'm wondering both are ivory only and my dress is more white with a slight cream tone but not true ivory... is this acceptable and would it look ok? its a beach wedding so my color theme is navy and pale yellow and my bridesmaid are wearing navy and groomsmen khakis and linen shirts... I really love the outfit for her! 

Also what ideas can you share for me to get her? 

And does the flower girl usually come to get ready with the bridal party??? 

Thank you in advance! I'm not familiar the etiquette for wedding related stuff...

Re: Flower girl question

• Options
    I'm sure the outfit will look fine with your colors. Have you checked with her parents on the price? As for a gift, get something you would give her for her birthday - a book if she likes to read, a special necklace (not to wear in the wedding), something that relates to a favorite activity. I wouldn't think that a 7 year old would want to spend hours with you and your WP getting ready, but she could maybe get her hair done (if her parents are ok with that). Make sure you have something she can eat/drink if that is part of you getting ready.
  • Options
    I think the colors will be fine with your dress. Have you checked with the FGs parents about the price and style? My Hs niece was our FG, I gave my SIL the general idea of what I was thinking about she found something in their price range that would be appropriate. 

My FG did hang out with us while we were getting ready because her mom was one of my BM. If her parents aren't in the wedding party I would say ask them if she can come by and get her hair done with you guys or come by for a little bit but leave it up to them if she can/should stay. If she needs help getting ready they may prefer to do it in their own room. 
  • Options
    Thank you for the replies. Yes, I checked with them on pricing thats not an issue. And I found all of the outfit pretty cheap on davids bridal website anyway. I know she won't want to get ready the whole time with us, but I figured maybe the last 30-45mins she could come get herself hair and makeup for feel special. She's the only child in the wedding party. Her dad my Uncle is marrying us! He's been a pastor for years. Thanks again!
  • Options
    hi girls. I have a couple closer girl questions...

So my 7 year old cousin is estatic to be my flower girl and she's the only chicks in the wedding. I found the dress and head piece I LOVE LOVE LOVE for her but I'm wondering both are ivory only and my dress is more white with a slight cream tone but not true ivory... is this acceptable and would it look ok? its a beach wedding so my color theme is navy and pale yellow and my bridesmaid are wearing navy and groomsmen khakis and linen shirts... I really love the outfit for her! 

Also what ideas can you share for me to get her? 

And does the flower girl usually come to get ready with the bridal party??? 

Thank you in advance! I'm not familiar the etiquette for wedding related stuff...

How long are you getting ready?  Is it an epic "mimosas and bagels at 7:30, hair stylist arrives at 8:00...ceremony is at 3:00?"  Because in that case, definitely not. 

When I got married, my flower girl was 3, and her mom got her ready and transported her to the venue separately--I didn't see her until shortly before I walked down the aisle, and it worked out fine.  DD has been a flower girl twice (both times also shortly before she turned 3), and the second time was exactly like what I just described.  The other time, the bride wanted her there earlier, although once we were there the bride was busy and didn't really do anything involving the flower girl.  Which was fine, but it made us hanging out there kind of pointless.

So, based on these 3 data points and having a now-7 y.o. myself, I would suggest having her get ready on her own, with her parents.  If you want to hang out with her a bit, have her show up shortly before the ceremony, snap some pics, and move on.  You can also do pictures afterward: dancing at the reception, etc.

• Options
    @Heffalump   That sounds perfect! I think I will have my Uncle bring her to me at last half hour or 45mins dressed for some pictures and stuff. I plan to do brunch in the room and get ready from 11-3:30 and wedding at 4pm so i know she would have a short attention span and get antsy. Thanks girls. 
  • Options
    I think having her come to have her hair done near the end is a great idea. She'll love being able to hang out with the big girls, and face it, they'll probably fawn all over her!
  • Options
    Thank you all. Sorry I was MIA a week for the holiday and work stuff....Recently we asked her dad to marry us so it should work great he can bring her to me when comes at the end of getting ready before the wedding starts :)   My current issue is her mother who is wacko nuts isn't liking the dress I picked for her and wants to find a different one but its my wedding so I'm kinda annoyed.
  • Options
    Thank you all. Sorry I was MIA a week for the holiday and work stuff....Recently we asked her dad to marry us so it should work great he can bring her to me when comes at the end of getting ready before the wedding starts :)   My current issue is her mother who is wacko nuts isn't liking the dress I picked for her and wants to find a different one but its my wedding so I'm kinda annoyed.
    Is the dress in budget? Or Mom just doesn't like that particular one? Is there a reason why?

Kids get tricky- as the parent does get to make all the decisions concerning their children. If the dress is in the budget that Mom provided to you, and there isn't any glaring reason why it's not appropriate (i.e. Mom doesn't want a strapless dress for a child or whatever), it should be fine. But you may have to give a little here. Does Mom have another dress in mind? Do you like it? Is this something you can wait awhile longer to buy and see if she cools down?

I would ask her to show you pictures of dresses she prefers and see if you like any. If not, then you can start the negotiations for your dress.
  • Options
    @SP29 The dress is in budget and is appropriate, but she is saying she doesn't think the kid would like it. She tried to tell me she should wear the dress that her parents had for flower girls in their wedding (mind you that was 12 years ago and its NOT cute at all nor is it ivory like requested its stark white)...but she is going to look for a similar one. I told her to text me pics of ideas....she threatened me basically into asking her to be in my wedding but now its all about her...shes the only kid in the wedding....oh well we shall see what happens...