California-Los Angeles

DJ or No DJ or somewhere in between?

Hi everyone!

My fiance and I are doing a very easygoing party a few weeks after we actually get married privately. We aren't doing any of the typical wedding reception pieces.. i.e no bridal party, no first dance, no chicken dance, etc. 
We are also very particular.. and eclectic.. in our music tastes, and we want that to be reflected on our fun day!
With both of those factors in mind, I began to lean toward no DJ and instead, renting sound equipment, and playing our music from a playlist. 

The other side to this is.. I don't know anyone tech-savvy (no one tech savvy will be at our party), so should something go wrong, I don't know who to turn to for help! So a DJ sounds easy.

The perfect world would be renting sound equipment and hiring someone tech-savvy (at a cheaper rate) to just monitor the equipment. Has anyone done something like this in the Los Angeles area? Does anyone know someone who might be interested in something like this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: DJ or No DJ or somewhere in between?

• edited November 2016
    In my time as a wedding officiant, I have seen many couples use an ipod or ipad, set up a playlist ahead of time, and have someone hit play. This can go off without a hitch, however, if you are worried about a seamless ceremony, I would recommend hiring a DJ. 

Antelope Valley Wedding Officiant
    www.avofficiant.com
  • Hi everyone!

My fiance and I are doing a very easygoing party a few weeks after we actually get married privately. We aren't doing any of the typical wedding reception pieces.. i.e no bridal party, no first dance, no chicken dance, etc. 
    We are also very particular.. and eclectic.. in our music tastes, and we want that to be reflected on our fun day!
    With both of those factors in mind, I began to lean toward no DJ and instead, renting sound equipment, and playing our music from a playlist. 

The other side to this is.. I don't know anyone tech-savvy (no one tech savvy will be at our party), so should something go wrong, I don't know who to turn to for help! So a DJ sounds easy.

The perfect world would be renting sound equipment and hiring someone tech-savvy (at a cheaper rate) to just monitor the equipment. Has anyone done something like this in the Los Angeles area? Does anyone know someone who might be interested in something like this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We used the Audio services from Freeeman audiovisuals http://freemanav-ca.com. That one was for a corporate event. 
     If you are not aware of those mixers and amplifiers you can hire a technician, you can demand a technician from your vender