Attire & Accessories Forum

Wedding dress hemmed too short

Hi everyone, this is my first post! I need some advice, or more so just someone to give me assurance. I bought my Watters Petra gown from BHLDN (http://www.bhldn.com/shop-sale/petra-gown/productOptionIDS/fbcaeb8b-b90b-4e9a-9313-32da085940dd) and am absolutely in love with it. I found a great seamstress who was recommended to me by a friend. She has already started the alterations for my gown and I've been super impressed by her work so far (had to shorten the shoulder straps and insert bra cups since I wasn't filling in enough, in addition to adding a wrist loop). However, I went in for my second fitting yesterday and noticed that the front of the gown is now about 2.5 inches off the ground. The tops of my shoes are visible. When I went in for my initial fitting my gown was too long, and I was wearing a different pair of heels since I had not yet purchased the one I plan on wearing. My actual shoes came in and I made sure that they were the same height as the shoes I wore to try on my gown. Although she has reassured me that she can fix it, I'm still nervous that the gown won't look as good or that the hem won't be even. Thankfully she saved the 4.5 inches of lace that she cut off, and she intends to sew some of it back to the hem and then reattach the lace applique over it. Has anyone else had any experiences like this where the dress was hemmed too short but was fixed? I'm having a minor freak out right now and my last fitting is supposed to be tomorrow evening. Thanks for listening! 

Re: Wedding dress hemmed too short

• Hi everyone, this is my first post! I need some advice, or more so just someone to give me assurance. I bought my Watters Petra gown from BHLDN (http://www.bhldn.com/shop-sale/petra-gown/productOptionIDS/fbcaeb8b-b90b-4e9a-9313-32da085940dd) and am absolutely in love with it. I found a great seamstress who was recommended to me by a friend. She has already started the alterations for my gown and I've been super impressed by her work so far (had to shorten the shoulder straps and insert bra cups since I wasn't filling in enough, in addition to adding a wrist loop). However, I went in for my second fitting yesterday and noticed that the front of the gown is now about 2.5 inches off the ground. The tops of my shoes are visible. When I went in for my initial fitting my gown was too long, and I was wearing a different pair of heels since I had not yet purchased the one I plan on wearing. My actual shoes came in and I made sure that they were the same height as the shoes I wore to try on my gown. Although she has reassured me that she can fix it, I'm still nervous that the gown won't look as good or that the hem won't be even. Thankfully she saved the 4.5 inches of lace that she cut off, and she intends to sew some of it back to the hem and then reattach the lace applique over it. Has anyone else had any experiences like this where the dress was hemmed too short but was fixed? I'm having a minor freak out right now and my last fitting is supposed to be tomorrow evening. Thanks for listening! 

I would take a deep breath and wait to see what it looks like when she has adjusted it. If it isn't what you want, the next step would be to find a pair of shoes that has a shorter heel (as long as you aren't already in flats). It is not her fault but she is being very accommodating to adjust the hem again. If it isn't perfect, it will likely be something that no one will notice as they will be looking at your face and the overall image.

For lurkers - wait to do ANY alterations until you have your shoes.

• ernursej said:

Hi everyone, this is my first post! I need some advice, or more so just someone to give me assurance. I bought my Watters Petra gown from BHLDN (http://www.bhldn.com/shop-sale/petra-gown/productOptionIDS/fbcaeb8b-b90b-4e9a-9313-32da085940dd) and am absolutely in love with it. I found a great seamstress who was recommended to me by a friend. She has already started the alterations for my gown and I've been super impressed by her work so far (had to shorten the shoulder straps and insert bra cups since I wasn't filling in enough, in addition to adding a wrist loop). However, I went in for my second fitting yesterday and noticed that the front of the gown is now about 2.5 inches off the ground. The tops of my shoes are visible. When I went in for my initial fitting my gown was too long, and I was wearing a different pair of heels since I had not yet purchased the one I plan on wearing. My actual shoes came in and I made sure that they were the same height as the shoes I wore to try on my gown. Although she has reassured me that she can fix it, I'm still nervous that the gown won't look as good or that the hem won't be even. Thankfully she saved the 4.5 inches of lace that she cut off, and she intends to sew some of it back to the hem and then reattach the lace applique over it. Has anyone else had any experiences like this where the dress was hemmed too short but was fixed? I'm having a minor freak out right now and my last fitting is supposed to be tomorrow evening. Thanks for listening! 

I would take a deep breath and wait to see what it looks like when she has adjusted it. If it isn't what you want, the next step would be to find a pair of shoes that has a shorter heel (as long as you aren't already in flats). It is not her fault but she is being very accommodating to adjust the hem again. If it isn't perfect, it will likely be something that no one will notice as they will be looking at your face and the overall image.

It is her fault. OP was wearing shoes the same height at the first fitting as the ones she purchased. 
  • ernursej said:

It is her fault. OP was wearing shoes the same height at the first fitting as the ones she purchased. 
    This. I didn't have my shoes at the time that I bought my dress, and the dress that I got required the bridal shop to measure hollow to hem as the dress company makes each dress so that the length is custom to the buyer. I knew what heel height I wanted, so the dress shop provided me with a pair of heels at the same height. The length turned out perfect.

OP, I agree that you should just wait and see how it comes out after the seamstress alters it. Either way, I doubt anyone would notice that your dress is 2 inches to short - if anything, it would just give everyone a chance to see whatever amazing shoes you've chosen!
  • Here's my take - deep breath and don't worry about it!  It's not like we're talking "your ankles are showing with your heels on" - By the time you get to dancing, that 2.5" is going to be heaven on earth because you can kick those shoes off and dance without stepping on your dress, or worse, OTHERS stepping on your dress in the heels. 

I really wouldn't worry!!!

• ernursej said:

You can still have differences in height due to inserts in the shoes or even how the shoes are constructed. I have two pairs of 1 inch heels (measured from the bottom of the heel to where it connects to the shoe) and when I stand in them, I'm slightly taller in one pair because there is some padding in that pair of shoes.
  • ernursej said:
    ernursej said:

You can still have differences in height due to inserts in the shoes or even how the shoes are constructed. I have two pairs of 1 inch heels (measured from the bottom of the heel to where it connects to the shoe) and when I stand in them, I'm slightly taller in one pair because there is some padding in that pair of shoes.
    Yea, but 2.5 inches? That's a lot. I did the same thing - didn't have my shoes so I wore the same height heels to the fitting. They weren't the exact same height when I compared them later, but more like 1/2 an inch difference, not 2.5. 
  • ernursej said:
    ernursej said:

Yea, but 2.5 inches? That's a lot. I did the same thing - didn't have my shoes so I wore the same height heels to the fitting. They weren't the exact same height when I compared them later, but more like 1/2 an inch difference, not 2.5. 

Mine didn't have that much difference but personally, I would not proceed with alterations until I had my shoes. It just seems like something (alteration upsets) to avoid by having the exact pair of shoes that will be worn with the dress. My thoughts probably didn't help this bride but I feel like it is reasonable advice to others.
  • I think finding new shoes is the best answer. 
  • First of all how amazing it your dress!! so beautiful. I wanted to say that I'm a seamstress myself - I've made bridal gowns before and it looks to me like theres a lace appliqué on the bottom, Is that right? If so I would worry at all, that will cover any seam that she may need to put it to adjust the length. I think you should try to not worry about it until you see what she can do It might come back wonderful.

If it isn't changing the shoes is really the only option.

• I ordered my dress from Dressilyme.com, overall happy with it, it needs some alterations but that was to be expected. But the biggest issue I see is its too short! So I feel your pain! Mine has no pattern to the tulle tho, so I dont know if it will be  more difficult? It's a ball gown style also, not a mermaid like yours. Your dress is absolutely gorgeous by the way!!  <3
    Any help on mine would be appreciated too lol, can see photos here....
    http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1074052/got-my-dress-from-dressilyme-china#latest