Attire & Accessories Forum

Boots under dress?

I know it's not a popular trend on here but I am thinking about wearing cowgirl boots under my dress. My fiancé and I are from Texas and we love to two step. I really want to two step at the reception and it honestly is a lot easier to dance with boots on. Plus we both wear boots all the time..we probably have 15 pairs in our closet right now. I'm thinking I would get a shorter pair for the wedding? Maybe ankle or mid calf? Anyone have any cute suggestions? My budget for boots is $200. Also I can't decide if I want to change into boots for the reception or wear them all day. I hate wearing heels so if I get different shoes for the ceremony they'd need to be a low comfortable heel or flat (preferably open toed). Any cute low heel or flat ceremony suggestions? Our ceremony is outside btw. Thanks! 

Re: Boots under dress?

• You don't need separate shoes for reception vs. ceremony. Nor do you need new ones if you have a pair that already broken in and clean.

• greeninspringgreeninspring member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2016
    Yes I've thought about wearing a pair that I already have but thought it might be fun to get something new since it's in the budget. I would have to break them in though that's for sure. My FI is getting new boots because he wants a pair of black dress boots and only has brown dress boots right now. 
  • Thanks @cowgirl8238 ! Yes I agree, I do not like the bridesmaid wearing boots thing! We do have a couple groomsmen that have asked to wear boots with their tux and I think that's fine because it's their style and they already own the boots. Thanks for the advice on the ankle cuts..I wasn't sure how they'd look with a dress! 
  • I know it's not a popular trend on here but I am thinking about wearing cowgirl boots under my dress. My fiancé and I are from Texas and we love to two step. I really want to two step at the reception and it honestly is a lot easier to dance with boots on. Plus we both wear boots all the time..we probably have 15 pairs in our closet right now. I'm thinking I would get a shorter pair for the wedding? Maybe ankle or mid calf? Anyone have any cute suggestions? My budget for boots is $200. Also I can't decide if I want to change into boots for the reception or wear them all day. I hate wearing heels so if I get different shoes for the ceremony they'd need to be a low comfortable heel or flat (preferably open toed). Any cute low heel or flat ceremony suggestions? Our ceremony is outside btw. Thanks! 
    You don't want to change shoes because you'll have your dress hemmed to one pair and then it will be wrong for the next pair of shoes. The issue most people have with brides wearing "alternative" footwear is that they feel like it's done to make a statement and not because that's who the bride is. You're a Texan who loves to two-step in boots so you're not trying to be trendy, it's who you are. Wear your boots! Be comfortable!
    Thanks! I honestly didn't even think about the dress length part of it! Okay so I'll just wear boots the whole time then. Haha I was kind of worried people might think I was trying to be trendy but anyone who knows me will realize it's just who I am. I have a pair of cowgirl boots on right now headed to the airport in a bit. Haha thanks y'all! 
  • I'm wearing boots for my wedding. I love boots. I wear them most of the time. They're comfortable and easy to dance in. I say, if it's something you usually do, go with it.

• I agree with the PP - the problem is not the boots - it's brides who require their BM's to purchase boots because of being "trendy" that they will literally NEVER wear ever again that's the problem.

Just polish up a pair that you already own!  Seems silly to spend $$$ on a pair just to wear for your wedding.  There are styles of heels that are very similar to boots - I have a pair that I love - they aren't boots but they aren't traditional heels either but are boot comfortable.  The challenge is finding them in the right color.  But really, at the end of the day, if you want to wear boots, go for it, just don't require your BM to purchase a pair too...
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2016
    Yes I've thought about wearing a pair that I already have but thought it might be fun to get something new since it's in the budget. I would have to break them in though that's for sure. My FI is getting new boots because he wants a pair of black dress boots and only has brown dress boots right now. 
    I am confused.  What are "dress boots"?  I thought boots were for riding or for work.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    I am confused.  What are "dress boots"?  I thought boots were for riding or for work.
    Haha there are all sorts of boots. If you ever have a chance to spend much time in Texas, you will find that out. 
  • CMGragain said:
    LOL - yea - about that - um - there are a million types of boots...  These for example would be dress boots..  Image result for Dressy cowgirl boots white
  • I don't think there is anything wrong with buying a new pair of boots. Lots of brides buy a new pair of shoes (flats/heels/converse sneakers) so it wouldn't be weird to apply that concept to a pair of boots. Agree with breaking them in ahead of time. Sounds like this is part of who you are so would be very appropriate for you.
  • CMGragain said:
    Haha there are all sorts of boots. If you ever have a chance to spend much time in Texas, you will find that out. 
    @cmgragain There are also lots of non-cowboy dress boots. If you google dress boots for men, you'll see a lot of options. 

Including these ones. Lovely!!

• These are some of my favorites..this style is most popular in South Texas and the Valley. And yes, I did have a groomsmen ask if he could wear a pair of these. He was joking but I told him he could feel free to bust them out at the reception :)

edit: I feel like I have to note the sarcasm in my comment when I said these were my favorites
    I don't quite understand how you are supposed to even walk in shoes like this...but this is coming from someone who can't walk in any heel higher than like 2 inches so take that for what its worth.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2016
    What a sense of humor!  I love it!
    I am from Iowa.  In Iowa you wear boots to clean out the barn.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg