Registry and Gift Forum

Next time someone tries to defend honeymoon registries

Re: Next time someone tries to defend honeymoon registries

• Gag is right. This received a major eye-roll on my part.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    Blech.

So tacky. What's the point of registering for a specific experience if that isn't even what you're going to use the money for!?!??!
  • I couldn't read the whole thing. Ick.
  • aside from getting extra cash for your epic vacation!

And I just threw up in my mouth a little.
  • gross

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • TA-CKY. Wow. I've contributed to honeymood funds before (and now realize how dumb that was) so now I wonder if the couples really did whatever activity I bought for them. Nope, nope, nope.
  • TA-CKY. Wow. I've contributed to honeymood funds before (and now realize how dumb that was) so now I wonder if the couples really did whatever activity I bought for them. Nope, nope, nope.
    I also recently saw an article in which the couple talked about how they used their gifts to pay for their wedding. They used a credit card for deposits and set up a honeyfund where guests believed they were contributing to activities for their honeymoon, but instead used it to pay off their credit cards. The tackiness and rudeness was overwhelming.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MCmeow said:
    TA-CKY. Wow. I've contributed to honeymood funds before (and now realize how dumb that was) so now I wonder if the couples really did whatever activity I bought for them. Nope, nope, nope.
    I also recently saw an article in which the couple talked about how they used their gifts to pay for their wedding. They used a credit card for deposits and set up a honeyfund where guests believed they were contributing to activities for their honeymoon, but instead used it to pay off their credit cards. The tackiness and rudeness was overwhelming.
    Oh my goodness, that's even worse!! Tacky & rude is right.
  • I just received a bridal shower invite where the bride and groom wrote a little note asking guests to contribute to a honey fund. So wrong on so many levels! I couldn't believe. Luckily I won't be attending since it is way OOT for me! Seriously, what are they going to do, open envelopes and say so and so donated x amount of money to our honeymoon! Ugh.
  • I don't really see the big horror over the honeyfund sites. It isn't any ruder than a registry might have been considered at first. Paying the fee is not that different from buying stuff at a store...I mean...you're paying for the product and for the store to get a profit...just have a honeymoon registry that takes it out of the amount given and does not charge on top.

That being said, I feel like being honest about what you plan to do with the money is good. Instead of saying the money is for a certain experience and using it for something else, just say "this will contribute to the food we will have on the trip". Which, if you buy food on the trip from the money people gave you, it did.  

Also, honeyfund sites have options for non-honeymoon things. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017
    Knottie1469291583 said:
    I don't really see the big horror over the honeyfund sites. It isn't any ruder than a registry might have been considered at first. Paying the fee is not that different from buying stuff at a store...I mean...you're paying for the product and for the store to get a profit...just have a honeymoon registry that takes it out of the amount given and does not charge on top.

That being said, I feel like being honest about what you plan to do with the money is good. Instead of saying the money is for a certain experience and using it for something else, just say "this will contribute to the food we will have on the trip". Which, if you buy food on the trip from the money people gave you, it did.  

Honeyfund sites are VERY controversial.  While you may not, personally, mind the idea, there are plenty of other people who think it is every bit as tacky as asking for cash.  Why risk offending people?
    I usually advise people to plan the honeymoon that they can afford.  These big, expensive honeymoon trips are a very recent phenomenon.  People are not entitled to them.  Lots of couples decide to skip them and have a great vacation at a later time.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• I don't really see the big horror over the honeyfund sites. It isn't any ruder than a registry might have been considered at first. Paying the fee is not that different from buying stuff at a store...I mean...you're paying for the product and for the store to get a profit...just have a honeymoon registry that takes it out of the amount given and does not charge on top.

You're paying for giving money, which is free. If you pay for something that you would otherwise get for free, you are terrible with money. Everyone knows money is a good gift. Just don't register, most will give cash or cheques. 

Also, begging for money when you are not in need is just beyond vulgar. Have people no shame?

You resurrected a thread last commented on in December to give terrible advice?  Interesting.