Wedding Party

I Found an Inexpensive Robe Site

13»

Re: I Found an Inexpensive Robe Site

• Devil's advocate moment - let's pretend that the WP is cool with robes.
    Would you seriously think every.single.girl. has the same taste? If my girls were cool with robes, I still wouldn't get them the same BECAUSE THEY AREN'T THE SAME!

I was lucky all the girls ended up liking the dress WE ALL FOUND and they wore the same.
    But if I were to buy them robes, I still would try to find a way to make them more personal to their likes, styles, etc.
    And even if they all liked the same robe, do they all have the same body type? Same thing with dresses, not everything looks good on or fits everyone.
    I got insanely lucky with my dresses - all my girls were different body types and heights, this dress looked great on all of them.
    But before going, we looked at a bunch of dresses to see what everyone liked and would feel comfortable in.

Also I've seen same robe but in diff styles {short, long, etc etc}
  • I just also wanted to add... I went and took a look at this site because while I wasn't planning on doing it initially, my BMs have tagged me/pinned lots of different photos and sites to buy fancy robes on... 
    long story short, yes the robes might only be $12 bucks each, but even on the Canadian site the shipping was quoted as $120 for 4 robes that weigh next to nothing.. BARF
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My shipping was less than $20, so I'm not sure what the issue was for you. 
  • k&n62517 said:
    My shipping was less than $20, so I'm not sure what the issue was for you. 
    I'm in Ontario and the cheapest shipping for 4 robes was $30. I can pick up the same cheapass robes at La Vie En Rose during Boxing Day sales for just as cheap and they are nicer.
  • I do feel like I am getting a negative tone via the internet from this discussion. I joined The Knot because listening to everyone else's problems and advise made me a little less stressed out because I found other women who were in the same boat as I am. So stressed? Yes. I can easily say that I have had stressful moments when it comes to that big day. 
    "cheap ass" is not how I'd go to give my opinion. If someone says their "just being honest"- they need to really analyze that justification.
    As for things bridesmaids don't and do want.. between my fiancé and I, we have probably been in 15 weddings in three years. I've had to paint my nails a color that I didn't want, go to a photographer stripper class for a bachelorette party, wear a button up shirt with my future married named monogrammed on it for "getting ready pictures" (the bride didn't want me to ever be able to wear the shirt again if I had my maiden name), wear the MOST UNCOMFORTABLE shoes to match 5 other bridesmaids, wear a bra made of tape for a backless dress because I was 2/5 bridesmaids that had a bigger bust and the bride wanted us in backless dresses because of a Pinterest picture she saw.. the list goes on. I did all of that for some of my best friends because it was their day, and you know what? There were some perfect pictures captured in all of those weddings. My fiancé has jumped through uncomfortable hoops also. But us all getting ready together was probably the best part of each of those weddings. It was sentimental to most of the brides and, to me, it is so meaningful that I get to be with my best friends and sister all day before I change my entire life. But that's just me.
    I am not doing robes, but felt the need to defend the poster due to the attack on her "cheap ass" robes. There's been numerous comments on this site about "vicious" brides. I think she, along with a few other users, defended herself pretty well and kept it classy because I "SAF" (I saw this on another comment on this thread from someone and had to look it up. Super classy!

• As for things bridesmaids don't and do want.. between my fiancé and I, we have probably been in 15 weddings in three years. I've had to paint my nails a color that I didn't want, go to a photographer stripper class for a bachelorette party, wear a button up shirt with my future married named monogrammed on it for "getting ready pictures" (the bride didn't want me to ever be able to wear the shirt again if I had my maiden name), wear the MOST UNCOMFORTABLE shoes to match 5 other bridesmaids, wear a bra made of tape for a backless dress because I was 2/5 bridesmaids that had a bigger bust and the bride wanted us in backless dresses because of a Pinterest picture she saw.. the list goes on.
    Yep, we all have had to endure much of that pointless, expensive, unnecessary nonsense while being in weddings because we have been in indoctrinated to believe, "It's HER DAY!"

That's why many of us don't have the patience for wedding related bullshit on this site.  We're trying to teach people and spare others from the pain we had to endure, lol.

And we communicate in a direct, often blunt, often snarky, manner.  We don't validate crappy ideas.  But pretty much no one comes right out of the gate with very snarky responses to questions. . . it definitely didn't happen in this thread.

What happened was the OP got overly sensitive and defensive immediately, and started inferring a particular tone bc she wasn't being validated.  And you have done the same thing.

This thread was actually pretty tame.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• @PrettyGirlLost
    not sure why you are calling me overly sensitive? I just explained why this works for me and my friends and hoped it could help others. I feel like you might be confusing my responses with responses from other brides who were arguing. 

I'm not seeking validation for my choices. I didn't post a thread asking if this was a good idea, so I'm not sure how I could have been seeking validation for it. 
  • k&n62517 said:
    @PrettyGirlLost
    not sure why you are calling me overly sensitive? I just explained why this works for me and my friends and hoped it could help others. I feel like you might be confusing my responses with responses from other brides who were arguing. 

I'm not seeking validation for my choices. I didn't post a thread asking if this was a good idea, so I'm not sure how I could have been seeking validation for it. 
    She quoted the person she was talking to and it wasn't you.
  • Heffalump said:
    *snip* But us all getting ready together was probably the best part of each of those weddings. It was sentimental to most of the brides and, to me, it is so meaningful that I get to be with my best friends and sister all day before I change my entire life. *snip*
    Why are you changing your entire life?  You're getting married, not becoming a Scientologist.  Unless you're one of those people who drops their friends once they get married, you're still going to see these people and hopefully remain friends.  (Doubly so for family.)

Your wedding day is definitely important.  But I just don't understand the whole "this is our last chance for the rest of our lives to get photos in matching robes and it's vitally important, so if they love me, they'll do it."
    We had fun with our WP prior to our ceremony- they met us in our bridal suite and we all had lunch together.  We did not get ready together, they showed up to lunch dressed and ready to go.

I have never liked the Getting Ready Together thing. 

In my experience it has been nothing but annoying and a waste of my time.  Brides never have enough MUAs or hair stylists to get everyone done simultaneously- it's expensive to have on site ppl, I get that- so you end up being scheduled to have your shit done 3 or 4 or 5 hours before the ceremony, which means you end up aimlessly hanging around, doing nothing for hours.

Most brides in my experience hadn't even thought about feeding us and getting ready usually lasts through multiple meals; If your BMs are expected to be getting ready at 9am, that's time for breakfast, and if the ceremony doesn't start until 3pm, well they've been sitting around through lunch now too.

There's usually never enough room or an appropriate space to get dressed, and as an adult I don't care to be getting changed in front of people I don't know.  I absolutely detest the presence of the photographer who in my experience was usually male.

And in a few of my experiences there was some sort of drama or melodrama that the bride was wrapped up in- usually over shit that really doesn't matter or isn't important at that point because she's about get get married, the show must go on!  So she was a ball of nerves, or stressed and annoyed, or openly pissed and then there's a flurry of other people coming in and out of the already cramped space, trying to resolve whatever non-issue was happening.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I'm getting ready for a party I like to relax, take my time, listen to music, maybe have a drink depending on the time of day and the event I'm getting ready for.  None of the above is conducive to getting dressed to go out in an enjoyable manner, lol.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• k&n62517 said:
    @PrettyGirlLost

Sorry I took this comment the wrong way, I guess:

"I am the OP and I don't plan to respond to anything any longer or specifically. . ."

Usually ppl say stuff like that when they are getting butthurt, so I'm sorry if I misread you.

Perfect example of how it can be hard to infer the intended written tone!

• Knottie1470954238 said:"I did all of that for some of my best friends because it was their day,"
    I get wanting to ensure you help the bride with their vision - or hoping your wedding party will compromise - but treating them badly in the process isn't okay.
  • Thanks for the info on the robes! Showed it to my girls and they all want one... I guess I'm adding this to their list of gifts. 
  • @vieiras2019, this thread was so old that it was dormant. If you want to discuss the same subject, start a new thread.

That said, the subject of robes for bridesmaids is not a popular one here.
  • Thanks for the info on the robes! Showed it to my girls and they all want one... I guess I'm adding this to their list of gifts. 
    Please reconsider.  If a robe is not something you would typically purchase as a gift for a FRIEND, then don’t do it now just because they are a bridesmaid.  Why do they need this robe for YOUR wedding?  If it is merely for the purpose of posing in some “Pinterest” getting ready shot, then the robes aren’t really a gift, but a prop.  

If you are adamant, then save yourself some money and shop for these robes at Goodwill or Saver’s or whatever thrift shop is local to you.  That is where the majority of these “must have” robes end.
  • Ok, this is obviously a vendor. And yes, making adults dress alike in cheap underwear is tacky and mean, but I really hate the use of the royal "we" on this site. It's very queen bee. As in "we don't recommend spotlight dances" or "we don't like bridesmaids' robes."

There are more diplomatic ways to say this.
  • Those robes aren't "gifts".  There is no such thing as the "bride's day".

I smell a vendor.
  • rebekah-ryanrebekah-ryan member
    First Comment
    edited June 2021