Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Gift Help!

edited January 2017 in Wedding Party
Hello everyone,

I would like to hear your opinion. I am getting each of my bridesmaids a tote with their name embroidered on it, a nice zip up sweater with their initials embroidered on it, and a 3-picture frame (has a picture of us from when we were younger, a poem that represents our friendships over the years, and a more recent picture in it).

Should I get something else to include with the gifts? I want to make sure they know how much I appreciate everything they are doing for me and everything we have been through.

I am planning to get the matron of honor something extra of course. Just curious if those 3 gifts mentioned above are enough.

Thanks in Advance!! :D 

Re: Bridesmaid Gift Help!

• Do all of your bridesmaids like/want totes and sweaters with their initials embroidered on them? You don't have to get everyone the same thing. You should strive to give them something personally tailored to them, just as you would for their birthday or Christmas. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • It's hard to answer whether a tote bag, a sweater, and a picture frame are "enough" since there's no hard rule on how much you should spend or how many gifts there should be.  The big thing is to shop for each friend like you would on her birthday- what are her favorite things?  What's her style?  What are her interests?  I personally don't like things with my initials on them, but you know your friends better than me.
  • Hello everyone,

I would like to hear your opinion. I am getting each of my bridesmaids a tote with their name embroidered on it, a nice zip up sweater with their initials embroidered on it, and a 3-picture frame (has a picture of us from when we were younger, a poem that represents our friendships over the years, and a more recent picture in it).

Should I get something else to include with the gifts? I want to make sure they know how much I appreciate everything they are doing for me and everything we have been through.

I am planning to get the matron of honor something extra of course. Just curious if those 3 gifts mentioned above are enough.

Thanks in Advance!! :D 
    I cannot imagine ever wanting a sweater with my initials on it.  Do your BM's have absolute identical tastes and likes?  If not, please don't diminish their gifts in that way.  If you really want to let them know how much you appreciate their support, show them by taking the time to purchase thoughtful and personal gifts tailored to each individual girl.  Out of curiosity, why would the MOH warrant additional gifts? 
  • I would shop for each BM like it's their birthday. A new yoga mat/towel for the yogi, a starbucks gift card and mug for the coffee lover, a sweet knife for the chef, a trashy magazine subscription for the gossip girl, a nice clutch for the party goer, a bookstore gift card for the reader.....

Gifts that are identical except for the monogramming never strike me as nice or personal. They always scream "it was easier for me to shop for all of you at the same time and pretend it was personal." You want to make things a little more thoughtful for your best friends standing up with you on one of the most important days of your life.
    *********************************************************************************

• I know all the blogs, Pinterest, even tke Knot website pushes for similar/identical BM gifts, but unless they all have the same tastes/interests a personal gift would mean a whole lot more, IMO. I've been a BM so many times and the gifts that I've used and loved have been ones that were personal to me or my style, not uniform to the other women in the bridal party. 

I got my BM similar Michaels Kors purses, but I really wish I had just shopped for them like it was their birthday. 
  • scribe95 said:
    You are basically asking, how much should I spend on them, and that varies depending on your overall budget and circumstances. It it much more than I spent, for instance, but that doesn't make either of us right or wrong.

P.S. Another vote for hating embroidered stuff - especially clothes. 
    Yes, and if you spend a lot on something I won't ever use or wear (like an embroidered/monogrammed sweater and tote) it just makes me more uncomfortable about how impersonal the gift is.
  • I'm going to echo that unless you know these ladies are into embroidered things I'd reconsider.   I have a great monogrammed tote from LL Bean that I like but I wouldn't wear a monogrammed sweater.    
  • I have received two pieces of jewelry as wedding party gifts. The first wedding, we all received a different bracelet that we didn't have to wear to the wedding (although one of the BMs did because it looked nice together, but most of the pieces just didn't "go") and that was individualized according to our taste. The second wedding, it was a necklace, which we wore for the wedding, that matched all the other BMs necklaces and our dresses. 

Guess which piece of jewelry I wear several times a month and which piece of jewelry hasn't been touched since I took it off after the wedding? 

I'm not saying totes and sweaters are bad gifts, I'm just saying when everyone gets the same thing, I question whether everyone will truly like and use it. The necklace for the second wedding, one of the BMs does wear on occasion and has others in that style, but I've never seen the third BM wear it (which doesn't necessarily mean she never does. It just really doesn't seem like her style.) 

Also, definitely stay away from monograms unless you know they use and wear monogrammed things on a regular basis. Count me as someone who would never wear something with my initials on it. 
  • I am one of those people that would hate a monogrammed sweater/tote. Its just not me.  I like the picture frames, its a nice gesture and displays a "then and now" vibe.  I would scrap the monogrammed things if you can.  If not, than see if you can add something that is more personalized for each BM.

I got each of my BMs travel coffee mugs and gift cards/coffee from their favorite places.  Two loved DD, one loved Starbucks and one loved a local place.  Then I wrote a heartfelt letter of thanks and rolled it up and slid it inside the bottles.  It wasn't the most expensive/fancy gift but I know they would all appreciate it.  Then I got them all something else small and in tune with their personal tastes.

• I do wear monogrammed things, so that would be fine for me, but don't get them all the same thing. To me that just says "These seem nice, I'll order 5 and be done." I received several gifts that were meant to be worn for the wedding, one of which I promptly gave away, and the other two I can't find (which I'm totally okay with), and everyone else received the exact same thing. I felt like it was twin day during spirit week at school.
  • MobKaz said:
    I cannot imagine ever wanting a sweater with my initials on it.  Do your BM's have absolute identical tastes and likes?  If not, please don't diminish their gifts in that way.  If you really want to let them know how much you appreciate their support, show them by taking the time to purchase thoughtful and personal gifts tailored to each individual girl.  Out of curiosity, why would the MOH warrant additional gifts? 
    Me either, but some people are into it. ;)

Image result for laverne and shirley
  • Heffalump said:
    MobKaz said:
    Me either, but some people are into it. ;)

Image result for laverne and shirley