Wedding Woes

Hardwood Floor Vacuum Recs Wanted

We've had this one for several years and I do really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/BISSELL-PowerEdge-Corded-Vacuum-81L2A/dp/B00450U7V8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482940921&sr=8-1&keywords=hardwood+floor+vacuum

It recently broke (the head literally snapped off) so I need a new one.  We don't have pets, but I do clean up hair a few times a month when I give DH and Son their haircuts and in general, this thing worked well.  There are couple things I would want to change about it, but not so much that I wouldn't buy another one.

Before I did, I wanted to see if anyone had a vacuum that they absolutely love.  I wouldn't want to spend much more than what this one costs.  I have an amazeballs vacuum for the bedrooms and the rugs, so I need something specifically for the hardwood floors (the entire kitchen and living room and bathroom).

Any info is appreciated.

Re: Hardwood Floor Vacuum Recs Wanted

• I have a Dyson that the brush rollers turn off with the push of a button. I use it for everything. 
  • I have an iRobot vacuum that I love. We run it every few days (we do have pets) and and it picks up everything from the floor and goes back to its charging port. It's great if you hate vacuuming. 
  • I have a rechargeable Hoover that I use a lot for hardwood and ceramic. I also use my Dyson but it is a lot heavier than the hoover.

• We just got the Bissle CrossWave.    Now we have a small place, but it works great.  It vacuums and mops.  You can use it on area rugs too.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I have the Shark Navigator. I really like it. 
  • Shark lift away. It's got an attachment with a pad. I also like my Norwex mop system. 
  • I just got a Bissell Symphony, it vacuums and steam mops. I love it. We have hardwood all through our house.
  • I just got a Bissell Symphony, it vacuums and steam mops. I love it. We have hardwood all through our house.
    I was debating on getting one of those but wasn't sure!! Would you recommend?
    It's got a bit of a learning curve but if you have a large open space of hardwood or laminate, I highly recommend. The only issue is opening the spot to put the water.
    It's got a bit of a learning curve but if you have a large open space of hardwood or laminate, I highly recommend. The only issue is opening the spot to put the water.
    Pretty much what we have, except for a few areas. Hmm ... I must look into this more! :)
  • Be careful with steam mops on hardwood and laminate. 
  • 6fsn said:
    Be careful with steam mops on hardwood and laminate. 
    I'm new to hardwood. How come? We have dark wood so I'm currently looking for something that'll help
  • 6fsn said:
    I'm new to hardwood. How come? We have dark wood so I'm currently looking for something that'll help
    Depending on how the wood is sealed the steam could damage the wood - raise the grain, discolor the finish. I asked our hardwood guy about it when we bought a shark steam mop. He said his company doesn't recommend using it on wood so I just use it on ceramic and vinyl tile.  I'd check with the company from whom you bought the hardwood or a reputable dealer if you don't where it originally came from.

• 6fsn said:
    Depending on how the wood is sealed the steam could damage the wood - raise the grain, discolor the finish. I asked our hardwood guy about it when we bought a shark steam mop. He said his company doesn't recommend using it on wood so I just use it on ceramic and vinyl tile.  I'd check with the company from whom you bought the hardwood or a reputable dealer if you don't where it originally came from.

The Symphony has a specific setting for hardwood and laminate that isn't too hot or wet. There's a higher setting that we use on the ceramic and tile that is hotter and produces more steam.
  • I'm a Dyson lover. I've had two vacuums in my entire adult life and both have been Dyson brand. The first one broke after 9 years of almost daily use (I'm a bit of a vacuuming freak) and my new one is almost 2 years old and works like new.
  • drglitterdrglitter member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2016
    I also use a Dyson that the brush can turn off. But I use the brush on the hardwood (I know you're not supposed to). I have a dog that sheds in such a way that it looks like I sheared a sheep in the living room, so brushes are necessary. Plus I like that I can go from the rugs to the hardwood without changing machines.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • drglitter said:
    I also use a Dyson that the brush can turn off. But I use the brush on the hardwood (I know you're not supposed to). I have a dog that sheds in such a way that it looks like I sheared a sheep in the living room, so brushes are necessary. Plus I like that I can go from the rugs to the hardwood without changing machines.
    we have tumble weeds from cat shedding lol
  • 6fsn said:
    Shark lift away. It's got an attachment with a pad. I also like my Norwex mop system. 

I just got a shark liftaway and it is A-mazing. I like that you can turn on/off the roller with a switch and change the suction level with a sliding lever.  Keeps the area rugs from getting all sucked up in there but provides some serious sucking power when on max.