Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Directions. Need them?

I was wondering if nowadays putting directions in the wedding invites is a must since nowadays everyone uses mapquest or has a GPS. What do ya think??

Re: Directions. Need them?

• Options
    I think everybody uses mapquest or has a GPS.  I can't give them directions from everywhere they happen to be coming from so they'll have to look that up anyway.  I don't see the point in the cards, really.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options

I think it's nice to have them. Especially if you have out of town guests. I dont think it's a MUST. But really if you just google the directions and type them up yourself it's not really that much extra work. Long as you make sure they will fit in your envelopes. The map, that;s kinda tough, but if I can do it, anyone can :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    What i did was make up cards for the out of town guests with directions from the hotel to the church, church to reception, and then reception. back to the hotel. It's not a must like I said, but a courtesy to your guests. Especially if they traveled a long way to come to your wedding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had to include directions, but only because our house (where we're getting married), is not on the map yet!  It's been over a year - our subdivision and street is new and GPS, MapQuest and Google Maps, DOES NOT have our address yet.  People are constantly getting lost on the way to our home.  So, I think that including the directions (I find maps useless) is a nice courtesy.
  • Options
    i still say it's a must. not everyone uses gps and mapquest, well they pretty much suck.
  • Options
    Not necessary at all - just makes poastage more expensive.  It is nice to give people direction cards (ceremony to reception) with the wedding program.
  • Options
    I agree, GPS are not reliable. My sister was getting lost all of the time and my grandma got her one, and she still gets lost going to places she has never been. We included directions in ours. I feel the same way about the internet, etc but I guess kinda out of a courtesy (esp for the older folks who may not do the computer thing) it is nice to have them. It does take more time, but it may be well worth the time now and avoiding a lot of phone calls to you or your parents when they get there invites. Or they could get lost and decide not to come in the end.
  • Options
    I don't think there are any etiquette requirements to send directions with the invite but it would be nice if the ceremony is somewhere hard to find.
     I didn't put directions to the ceremony in the invite since I have no idea where people are coming from and it's on a major road.  I am going to put maps from ceremony to reception in with the ceremony program though.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say they're a "must", but I prefer getting them. We don't have a GPS, and I really don't trust MapQuest-it tends to send me straight into the worst neighborhoods ... that are actually nowhere near where I'm trying to go.

I put them in my invites. But our venue was awesome and provided them to us for free.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    i'm including directions because everyone is coming from out of town. as well our church isn't mapped correctly in google maps! so if they typed in the church name in google they would go to the wrong place. ek.

though if most people live in the city you are getting married in and it's a known venue then i would say you don't need them. though it doesn't hurt.
  • Options
    I don't think everyone uses GPS or mapquest.  

Directions are always a nice touch.  We included directions to the church from the hotel, and put from the church to the reception venue in the program.  I figured local people would probably be able to find the ginormous cathedral downtown, or could at least figure it out from the major highway in the hotel directions, but our OOT guests might have a hard time with it.

My FIL left his directions in the hotel and got lost on the way.  We had to wait and start late for him.    
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards