Attire & Accessories Forum

Who should be renting a tux?

Help! my FH and I can't seem to agree on who should be renting tuxes.  He thinks it should just be himself and his 6 groomsmen.  I think his father, my Step father(also our officiant) and our 4 ushers(my brothers) should rent as well maybe in a different color/accessories/boutonniere.  Or at least should have the option if they want it.  Suggestions? Thanks!

Re: Who should be renting a tux?

• I agree with both of you... I think the only people who should have to rent tuxes are the GMs, but since some of the others are part of the ceremony, you have some flexibility.

You can ask that your officiant/your step dad wear "all black" or "a black suit" or something very general since he's officiating the wedding but you shouldn't make him rent any attire. 

Your dad isn't part of the WP at all. He is a guest of honor. You should not make your dad pay for anything attire wise. You shouldn't even dictate his clothes, colors or otherwise. (Same with your mom's if you were thinking about telling them what to wear. They're also guests of honor and can dress themselves.)

I'm on the fence about your brothers. Since they're not in the WP, I think you could ask them to wear a black suit. Maybe buy them a tie that fits your colors. They'd still look really nice and "part of the team".

You could definitely offer everyone boutonnieres though. You could make them different colors based on role.
    *********************************************************************************

• edited January 2017
    We offered the tux rental to our fathers and non WP brothers and let it be their choice. We also gave bouts to all of them. 

ETA:  My FIL wore a suit and looked nice and felt comfortable. My dad wore a tux because he thought it would look better walking me down the aisle (I didn't care) and my BIL chose a tux because he flew and hates packing suits. 
  • Help! my FH and I can't seem to agree on who should be renting tuxes.  He thinks it should just be himself and his 6 groomsmen.  I think his father, my Step father(also our officiant) and our 4 ushers(my brothers) should rent as well maybe in a different color/accessories/boutonniere.  Or at least should have the option if they want it.  Suggestions? Thanks!
    I'm with your FI.  Just he and the GM need to be in tuxes.  If you'd like to treat your FFIL and stepfather, and they want to wear them, go ahead and rent their tuxes too.  Non-WP brothers/ushers don't need tuxes...you can honor/distinguish them with boutonnières if you'd like.

*Exception: if your wedding is black tie, they'll all be in tuxes but again, your fathers and brothers can get their own, only the WP should have to rent a specific one 
  • You only get to dictate the wedding attire of those in your WP and it should be in line with the lowest budget when asked in private.  This is true of men or women.  The fathers/ushers should be free to wear whatever they want, but if they ask you can say that you would like them in a black suit.  I would get boutonnieres for everyone as a way to distinguish a "who's who" and to honor them just a little more. 
  • We're having a small WP. FI, his dad & brother all attended a family wedding a while back for which they all purchased black suits. They're just going to wear those. My dad would be the only other male in the WP/family, so he just decided to get a suit from the same store the other guys got theirs. Simple enough, and most guys will be able to get multiple wears from the same suit.

I'd give your male family members the option, as sometimes they like to match the dress or "fanciness" of the WP, but don't make it mandatory.