Flowers

Flower shop sent me a huge bouquet unsolicited?

edited January 2017 in Flowers
Hi all!  I just had the most bizarre thing happen to me.  My FH and I heard a knock at the door, which isn't even supposed to be used for deliveries as we are in an apartment complex with a prominent mail room, and there was a man there with a HUGE (has to be worth $100) bouquet of white roses.  I had no idea who it was from, and it turned out to be from a flower shop I had never heard of which is not even very close to my wedding venue.  They included a brochure about their business with the flowers.

I am really turned off by this.  I have only given out my address once for wedding-related things as we just moved.  I haven't even gotten around to changing it on the Knot or any other wedding website.  I feel like this was way overstepping.  Not only all of that, but I just boked a florist right before Christmas.  Looking at my vendors, the only one that has my new address is the shop where I bought my address as I got the dress very recently.  Did they sell my address to this flower shop?  The dress shop just so happens to be right down the street from the florist.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?  If this is a normal way of attracting business, then I guess I am worked up over nothing.  However, the dress shop never asked my permission to sell my address or even let me know they worked with this flower shop.  Like I said, I have never heard of it until today.

Any similar experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Flower shop sent me a huge bouquet unsolicited?

• Hi all!  I just had the most bizarre thing happen to me.  My FH and I heard a knock at the door, which isn't even supposed to be used for deliveries as we are in an apartment complex with a prominent mail room, and there was a man there with a HUGE (has to be worth $100) bouquet of white roses.  I had no idea who it was from, and it turned out to be from a flower shop I had never heard of which is not even very close to my wedding venue.  They included a brochure about their business with the flowers.

I am really turned off by this.  I have only given out my address once for wedding-related things as we just moved.  I haven't even gotten around to changing it on the Knot or any other wedding website.  I feel like this was way overstepping.  Not only all of that, but I just boked a florist right before Christmas.  Looking at my vendors, the only one that has my new address is the shop where I bought my address as I got the dress very recently.  Did they sell my address to this flower shop?  The dress shop just so happens to be right down the street from the florist.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?  If this is a normal way of attracting business, then I guess I am worked up over nothing.  However, the dress shop never asked my permission to sell my address or even let me know they worked with this flower shop.  Like I said, I have never heard of it until today.

Any similar experiences would be greatly appreciated!

I had a very similar experience after I purchased my dress from David's Bridal.  Suddenly I had won a free pair of rings, and got all sorts of wedding related spam (physical mail, email, and one through the phone!).  I don't know all the legalities of it, but I agree that the practice is very off-putting.

I have heard of some website that you can put your name in and it removes you from a good deal of those databases, but it won't get everything and I can't remember the name of it right now...I guess I don't have advice so much as to say, I've been there too!

• edited January 2017
    Thanks for the advice cowgirl and southernbelle.  For the record, I'm not complaining about the roses themselves, but simply sharing a feeling of being uncomfortable due to such invasive unsolicited advertising.
  • Thanks for the advice cowgirl and southernbelle.  For the record, I'm not complaining about the roses themselves, but simply sharing a feeling of being uncomfortable due to such invasive unsolicited advertising.
    Yea, I can understand that. It won't stop though, unfortunately. And it's hard to know the source to turn of the water, so to speak. Just enjoy the perks and throw away the rest, I guess.
    *********************************************************************************

• Once you give your address to basically any wedding related thing, it's OUT there. You'll be getting all kinds of shit in the mail. It can be annoying but sometimes the discounts are solid.

BUT WHO COMPLAINS ABOUT WHITE ROSES? It sounds lovely. Personally, I would contact the shop and tell them thank you, the flowers are lovely, but you've already booked a florist. That's just me though.
    Right?!  Invasive is if they send the flowers to your OBGYN during your appointment.  That isn't a cheap promo, and who doesn't like fresh cut flowers?
  • I understand the uncomfortable feeling.

I don't think that companies should be sharing your personal information (phone/address) with other companies, but there isn't much you can do about it. You could call up the dress shop and let them know you are unhappy about it, but you'd have to be sure it was the dress shop. You could let the flower shop know you don't approve of their advertising methods- if you want. But there aren't many laws about sharing this kind of information where you can do much about it.

Enjoy the roses and hope you don't get spammed by anything else!

(I never got spammed about anything. I've heard the biggest culprit is bridal shows).
  • That is odd, but it could be a hell of a lot worse. Enjoy the flowers!
  • This is why it is suggested so much that you get an email specific for your wedding, all of those wedding -related companies sell your information. It's always somewhere, in fine print, so it's "legal" but that doesn't always mean its welcome. Although advising to give out a wedding address would be a new one. 
  • In order to get some of the discounts my dress shop offered with other vendors (percentages off local DJ, extra prints with a certain photographer, extra time on limo, etc) I had to agree to allow them to share my info. I got a few emails and flyers but that was the extent. Maybe your store had something similar? Or if you signed up for "updates" or sales emails, you likely had to agree for them to share your info? It was probably in the fine print. However I'm pretty sure they can't take your info from a credit card or sales receipt directly.

Either way, I don't think this is a huge deal, but if you do then you can set up an alternate email, or if you're really concerned open a post office box for a few months and send everything there.