Wedding Woes

Thursday

I wrote 'Friday' before I caught myself.  So that's how I feel about today.  

I got my review yesterday and my boss paid me a pretty wonderful compliment.  No idea on a raise or our bonus yet, but at least I'm staying employed.  ;) 

Three day weekend coming up.  Also, I'm knocking off at half day next Friday so DH and I can do massages and lunch for our bdays. 

Re: Thursday

• I'm dragging this morning but I'm here.  Just need this coffee to kick in.  I have a manicure tonight but that's about it.
  • Nothing last night. M had to toss his shoes - his foot was cold and wet - so we couldn't do groceries. Guhh ...
    Tonight though.

Oh, I did move the gd filing cabinet upstairs like I'd asked M to do for a friggen week .... his procrastination and "oh I don't need to do it now" pisses me right the fuck off ...

Tonight is groceries though. Plus I have set things up with my benefits because one of my meds doesn't get covered properly. Oh well. I'm planning on doing that later today.

I think I'm going through my clothes in the drawer to organize them. Tomorrow I'm going for coffee with 2 of my friends. We were suppose to go the Tuesday after the holidays, but I was sick and it was shit weather anyways.

We're pretty slow at work for next two days, so I'm cleaning my desk.
  • Our freezer is fixed.  Cost us an arm and the leg up to the knee, but it was good we got it fixed because the whole fan needed to be replaced, and apparently that's a vital piece of equipment needed for keeping food frozen.

I was in a stabby mood last night because I fasted all damn day and they didn't even draw blood because the lab closed.  I pretended I wasn't inconvenienced, and agreed to come back Friday, but inside I was all 

So my entire Friday is completely fucked now since I have to go back for blood work on top of all the other things I needed to do tomorrow (most of which is far more important than being stabbed repeatedly with a needle because no one can EVER find a vein).  AND DH wants me to meet him somewhere on his way home from work tomorrow for a dinner date.  I am indecisive on whether I want to go or not.  I love date nights, but we just shelled out 5 date nights for a functional freezer, and we're not entirely sure if the home warranty will cover it.

Gah, I can't wait for the weekend.  I am fully inclined to sleep through it.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I'm fiiiiiiinally getting my hair coloured today. My usual stylist has been so hard to get into, I've been trying since November. I was finally booked in for last week (I had to book it in Dec), and she ended up having to cancel as she was sick that day and couldn't rebook me until beginning of Feb. So I'm trying someplace new - fingers crossed it goes well, haha I've had so many bad colours and cuts done that I'm so scared to try somebody new. 

I've got a really big day today too. Working 7-2:30, hair 2:30-5:30 and then I'm in class from 6-9:30. I'm earning my glass of wine tonight!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @AtomicBlonde  I admire you for pretending it was okay. I wouldn't have. I would have been like "Oh great, another fast. Can you guarantee I can get this done on Friday?" dripping with snark and sarcasm.
  • Today we have my grandma's visitation and funeral and then the burial is tomorrow.  We'll pull the kids early from school today, get them ready and then get on the road.

No major plans for the weekend.  We'll have the girls' basketball games and Son will have baseball camp on Saturday.  I'm thinking Sunday will just be a lounge around day.

• Atomic - I'd be pissed if I fasted all day and they wouldn't take my blood!  I can get on the hangry side when I fast for a morning blood draw!  And I have been skipped at my Lab Corp location twice now!  Once I even had an appointment and they didn't call me back right away!

Today is my Friday.  We leave for Charleston tomorrow and will need to get up at 5 AM to make sure we can get to the airport in time during North Jersey rush hour.  Not really looking forward to the early morning part, but looking forward to our trip!

Tonight we need to take the dogs over to my parents house.  Thankfully, my mom agreed to cook up Betsey's rice, chicken & egg food while we are gone, so that is one less thing to do tonight!  She also has been scarfing up her food, with crumbles mixed it, so hopefully her weight will start to go back up.  My pup is too skinny in the back!

Then we have a breathing and relaxation techniques birthing class to attend.  My goal is to go all natural, if possible.  So anything to help me along the way will only be beneficial.  I've also been looking into other alternative pain relievers, like TENS machines.  Apparently all UK & Canadian birthing hospitals use TENS machines to help moms pain manage, but in the US they would just rather give you the epidural.  I've also been studying up one the various yoga positions to do during labor too.

At our birthing class last week, my H found out that some of the labor will be done at home.  He didn't know that!  So now he is gung ho to get some of the recommended items for early labor, like the exercise ball and a back massager.

Last night was the viewing for my friend's mom.  I was able to give her a few laughs, which can always be helpful in times of sorrow.  As I mentioned yesterday, her mom lived a full life to 90.  My friend and her mom were taking selfies one day and posting them to fb.  I told them to make a duck face one and they did!  That was one of the pictures on display and I mentioned I'm glad they used it and it got her to start laughing and think of that day.  I'm glad I could put that smile on her face, if only for a limited time.

Afterwards, I went home and H & I packed all of our clothes for our trip.  So the only thing that will need to be packed tomorrow morning will be the toiletries we use daily.

• Whoo!! Good news is that our condo fees aren't going up this year :)

Also last night we did budget because I got the approximation on home daycare for future reference and we could do it NOW if it weren't for M's debt. So best option right now is M getting better paying job. {which would have to be about a 10K increase in salary, but that's pretty average for his job}
  • Heffa - I have everything crossed for your mom's pathology report! 

That picture is pretty weird - it might make you think the bass comes with the house!  And the one with the guy playing banjo?  Also, the initial picture with the truck out front looks so cute and then picture number 2 is the house without the truck.  I don't get it!

• Oh, and s/o Trump, we just got an email from Wooz's teacher that she plans to live stream "a few minutes" of the inauguration tomorrow, along with part of a video called "Flipping the White House."  She's giving us the option to opt out if we don't want our kids to watch.  Hell, IDK whether it will be suitable for grownups, but we're not pulling Wooz out.

A) I thought "Flipping the White House" was going to be something very different, and

B) "Trump himself is working on what aides expect to be a relatively short inaugural address — possibly less than 20 minutes — with the help of longtime speechwriter Stephen Miller and other aides." At this rate, live streaming a few minutes may cover most or all of the speech.
  • @thefanciestbeckler  I hate group interviews. I get so nervous in interviews, let's throw more people in!!
    $10/hr is lower than our minimum wage, even working the normal 40hrs/week that's still low :\ yikes

Vibes for re-enrolling!
  • Heffalump said:
    Leaving early to take my mom to the doctor for her surgical follow up.  Pathology report is due, so fingers crossed.

Random:  I do not understand why you would include this photo in your real estate listing:

I guess I am just wondering why the mannequin in the corner isn't featured more prominently...
    Because the rumpled shirt of questionable cleanness needs to be front and central. Duh...  :p
  • @Heffalump sending your mom good vibes!!!
  • Lots of good vibes for your mom, @Heffalump!

I'm off work tomorrow (taking FW to doctor's appointments, plus I have my own doctor's appointment), so trying to get as much done today as possible. If everyone would quit interrupting me, that would be great.

FW is going to the march in our city Saturday with a friend of hers. I'm jealous, but I already committed to volunteer at a nursing home helping with bingo.

Pussyhats sound awesome, @GBCK!
  • There was finally coffee at my work this morning.  There better not be any more f**k-ups.  Friday morning coffee is especially mandatory.

@AtomicBlonde, I read your vent about the bloodwork and couldn't believe you attempted eating at 4AM, going without food all day, until 4PM.  I have to have fasting bloodwork 2x/year and I can barely manage eating dinner LATE AT NIGHT and then going in for my bloodwork at 9AM (the soonest they do it).  Though, really, they don't even call me in until 9:30ish.  Even when I am the only patient there.  Because, you know, they're busy "leisurely" starting their day.  And eating THEIR breakfast.  And drinking THEIR coffee.  Once I'm done, it's all I can do leave and hurry to the closest fast food place, instead of gnawing on one of their tables like a dog.  Hopefully tomorrow goes a lot better!

@OliveOilsMom, I bought a highly rated TENS machine off Amazon.  Though I admittedly have not used it yet.  I bought it because I often get tension aches in my shoulders and nape of my neck.  But keep forgetting I have it, lol.  All right!  I'm going to try and make a point of using it this evening and get back to you.

@Heffalump, ya know, I probably see hundreds of real estate listings a year.  I have NEVER seen a person posing in the photo, lol.  Sometimes the pic person's reflection will get caught.  Or there might be an accidental pic of someone in the background.  But nothing quite so prominent as that one.

Now the wacky stuff I do see a lot are blatantly bad pics.  Like, there is only a pic of the exterior and it is obviously taken through a car window.  DUDE!!!  You are trying to sell a house... you really couldn't take the extra 30 seconds to at least get OUT of your car?!?

Or, every once in awhile I'll play the "what is the most expensive house for sale in my city" game.  There was a $7M jobbie one time.  With LOTS of pics.  As there should be for that price range.  Except half of them were really blurry.  WTF?!?!  I'm calling ridiculous on BOTH the homeowner AND the agent.  You are selling the most expensive house in town and are half-assing the pics.  Really?  REALLY?!?!

@thefanciestbeckler, maybe it is just my anecdotal experience, but every single time I've had a "surprise" group interview, it has been a total s**t show for what turned out to be a horrible job.  Another time, the job was a decent one, but I showed up for the interview only to find a cattle call.  I waited hours for a 10-minute interview.

My other Queen of the World move, is I would require ALL job opening listings.  Wherever they were listed.  To have a salary range included.  It's time consuming just to send a resume and cover letter to a job.  Then, if called for an interview, take time off...maybe even taking time off from a current job...to go.  Only to find out the company is existing in some alternate reality where what they are willing to pay for X job is ridiculously below the standard.

Granted, where a salary/hourly wage was listed, I have seen OUTRAGEOUS stuff!  Like "2-3 years experience, bilingual in English/Spanish, prefer Bachelors"...$10/hour.  Ummm...I made $10/hour while I was IN college...TWENTY years ago.  Oh, and that was also without speaking Spanish fluently, lol.  Please come join us back in the year 2017.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GBCK said:
    I 1-sewed pussyhats last night and 2-posted about it on my real FB.  Which, for me (since I'm apolitical most of the time, IRL/on FB) is frickin huge about outing myself politically. 
    I did explain the march (the one @ our state capitol, sister march to the one in DC) to the kiddo, and...we have saturday plans now.  And she wore her hat to school.
    (I DID explain we're all about equality--but I DID also say that pussy was a word for privates and I didn't expect her to use it as that.  Here's hoping I didn't just create a major to-do in the first grade)

Today was also her snack day @ school...and she convinced me she wanted to do fruit.  So I divvied fruits (grapes, bluberries, pineapple, oranges) into 27 friggin baggies last night, she said it was to heavy to carr on the bus (she may have been right) so I had to deliver it.

And...we're hoping to possibly swing by the humane society after school today...shhh, that's still a secret.  the pending kitten is not, but today is.  I want to verify it'll work before I say so.  we're waiting for a callback from our vet about the current cat before we add in more stuff.
    It took longer than I will admit to realize you weren't talking about legit hats for cats ....
  • @short+sassy I'd vote you Queen of the World any day ;) Thankfully, this group interview was a small group. I think there were 5 of us in there. Apparently they'd had 2 more groups of the same size go before us. I guess what threw me so much about the situation is that the job listing said they offered "competitive pay and excellent benefits". And given the amount of responsibility the position carried I would have expected MUCH higher pay. The benefits they went over with us were not excellent, either. So either these people are totally out of touch with reality and don't know what "competitive pay and excellent benefits" means, or they embellished their listing. I'm thinking it was the latter of the two.

• I'm getting ready to leave work.  Made it in for 3.5 hours and now my meds are wearing off.  I can't wait to feel better.

@gbck come hell or high water, I will be there too!  I made signs last night and hope to drag my best friend with me.  She's like you, strong in beliefs, private in public but she has posted 3 angry facebook statuses!  I can't wait to take her to her first protest.  I just need to decide if I'm attempting to park in the city or take a bus from a nearby mall.

@Heffalump good vibes and better margins for your mom!  I personally would only make an offer on house if Dixie Barbie Mannequin stays.

@charlotte989875 when hubs is home in the summer and I'm WFH I usually give in and make up that time elsewhere in my day.  Compared to being in the office, I'm way more productive at home anyways so those 20-30 minutes aren't missed.  Plus, I'm a morning person when it comes to that and that alone.  How was his interview, BTW?

@thefanciestbeckler crazier things have happened!  We always say in the sales world that the first mistake you make is making assumptions about what people can and can't afford - so don't assume they can't afford you until they tell you that themselves!  And congrats on grad school, that's a huge decision!
  • I'm getting ready to leave work.  Made it in for 3.5 hours and now my meds are wearing off.  I can't wait to feel better.

@charlotte989875 when hubs is home in the summer and I'm WFH I usually give in and make up that time elsewhere in my day.  Compared to being in the office, I'm way more productive at home anyways so those 20-30 minutes aren't missed.  Plus, I'm a morning person when it comes to that and that alone.  How was his interview, BTW?

Yah, maybe I'm a bad wife on this one, but I'm so much more productive in my office  :/

His interview went well. He won't know anything for another week or so. He said he felt okay about it, but he didn't think he totally explained his skills all that well. They are actually hiring for 4 or 5 of the same position, so he's really hoping at least one works out. Two are to start in February and two or three a few months later so he's really hoping he gets something. Waiting sucks. 
  • @charlotte989875 re: morning sex, neither DH or I have the option of WFH, but we have different off days when he is at home. I usually tell him we need to get up earlier than the usual wake up time if we're going to have morning sex. He usually has no complaints :)

• @charlotte989875 re: morning sex, neither DH or I have the option of WFH, but we have different off days when he is at home. I usually tell him we need to get up earlier than the usual wake up time if we're going to have morning sex. He usually has no complaints :)
    I'd be fine with that! A little planning, and I don't have to be behind at work, everyone wins. 
  • @short+sassy I'd vote you Queen of the World any day ;) Thankfully, this group interview was a small group. I think there were 5 of us in there. Apparently they'd had 2 more groups of the same size go before us. I guess what threw me so much about the situation is that the job listing said they offered "competitive pay and excellent benefits". And given the amount of responsibility the position carried I would have expected MUCH higher pay. The benefits they went over with us were not excellent, either. So either these people are totally out of touch with reality and don't know what "competitive pay and excellent benefits" means, or they embellished their listing. I'm thinking it was the latter of the two.

Puffery.

A few months ago, a good sized local insurance agency actually had commercials on television that they were hiring agents.  I foolishly thought, "Wow, if they need people that bad, they must be paying well out of desperation."  Because I'm a glass "half full" kind of gal.

So I went to their website to apply.  Fortunately for me, they had a lot of pertinent information about the position, the pay, and the benefits.  I didn't even waste my time.  I suspect the look of horror on my face was priceless as I read, "After one year of employment, you will be entitled to three Personal days."  No vacation time.  No sick time.  Three personal days.  That's it.

I left their site thinking, "Wow, no wonder they have to advertise on tv.  That job sounds terrible, lol."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @kimmiinthemitten
    We could actually connect IRL on Saturday...:)
  • GBCK said:
    @kimmiinthemitten
    We could actually connect IRL on Saturday...:)
    I had to go back to the dr for new drugs for this got-awful cough so if I do make it out to protest tomorrow it'lle be A2 instead of Lansing. I'm bummed, but this rally is closer and shorter and I don't think my body can pull an all dayer as much as my soul wants to!