Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Gifts

Help! I see so many awesome things that I want to get for my girls but everything I love it personalized! Can there be too much personization for your special day? Opinions please!!!

Re: Bridesmaid Gifts

• You'll see this often, but don't put "bridesmaid" or "maid of honour" on anything. If you're going to personalize anything, keep it minimal - their initial - and only if it seems appropriate.

Example - my husband got his guys all a really nice knife. Very functional, but also could be decorative {he got lucky, they're all into knives} and had their names engraved on the blade.

I debated on doing a travel mug for a couple of my girls, if I did I wouldn't have put their name. I would have found something they like, or had their initial.
  • Shop like its their birthday.  Take the focus off your wedding and think about each person individually while planning to spend around the same amount.  You can try to keep things similar if you want (ie: everyone gets subscription box) while honoring personal preferences (ie: the reader gets  book of the month box but the beauty maven gets a make up box).

I would not go overboard on personalization - it's a very personal thing while you may love it, it's more important that the people you are shopping for would love it.

And just remember that anything to be used during your wedding - jewelry, dress hangers, emergency kits - is not part of the gift.
    Anniversary

• Think outside the "bridesmaid gift" box. A girl can only have so many monogrammed tumblers, tote bags and friendship necklaces. Also, these types of gifts scream "it was easier for me to just buy your gifts in bulk, but they're still kind of personalized because I know what your initials are". 

Get a starbucks gift card and a travel mug for the coffee shop girl, a nice clutch for the party girl, a book and a cozy blanket for the old soul, a nice chef's knife for the cook, a new yoga mat for the yogi.... People far appreciate personalized gifts to just another identical robe that they're expected to wear for pictures (and then never again). Know what I mean?
    *********************************************************************************

• Help! I see so many awesome things that I want to get for my girls but everything I love it personalized! Can there be too much personization for your special day? Opinions please!!!

Yes, there definitely can be too much personalization, especially if that's not something that your bridesmaids are into.  Take the excellent advice above.  Very few people want a single wine glass, thin robe, and/or tote bag with their name/monogram on them.

This is a thank you for them, not a collection of things you think are cute, so the focus should be on their likes and dislikes.
  • Heffalump said:
    Help! I see so many awesome things that I want to get for my girls but everything I love it personalized! Can there be too much personization for your special day? Opinions please!!!

Yes, there definitely can be too much personalization, especially if that's not something that your bridesmaids are into.  Take the excellent advice above.  Very few people want a single wine glass, thin robe, and/or tote bag with their name/monogram on them.

This is a thank you for them, not a collection of things you think are cute, so the focus should be on their likes and dislikes.
    I have thrown away every. single. personalized thing I got from someone's wedding. Also thrown away all wedding favors with the couple's names and/or wedding date on it. 
  • Yes, there can be too much personalization.

I can only think of one or two things that I would actually want personalized as a gift. One I already own- a gold chain with gold pendant in my initial (got that from my parents for my 16th birthday- still wear it). The other would be something related to my pets (cats and horse)- like a bracelet with a charm with their name or something. The key here though is that these items have meaning to me and the actual item that is personalized is something that I would like regardless of the personalization.

So if we're talking tote bag, sweater, rob or travel mug that is personalized- nope!

Shop for these people like it's their birthday. If you find something that they would like that happens to be personalized, go for it. But if you're buying something just to buy it- don't.
  • I get the excitement of wanting to personalize things, but only do personalization for you. Fine to get yourself a robe with "Bride" on the back but don't get something like robes for your girls. Shop like it is their birthday and get them something they will love. PPs have provided some nice ideas.

I have thrown away every single personalized wedding thing I have received (and that is a lot of stuff). Don't add to the trash pile.

• Unless your friends like personalized things, you shouldn't personalize them. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Very definitely. 

I have no use for personalized items. When I receive them as gifts, while I accept them with a smile and a nice thank you, inside I am wondering what in the world I will do with it besides let it collect dust or throw it out.