Chit Chat

Raleigh, NC Recommendations

Posting the picture of my pups reminded me that I have been meaning to ask if anyone had any recommendations for things to do/see/eat in Raleigh, NC. I have never been and google gave me plenty of ideas but I need to narrow them down. In early March I am heading there with our paralyzed dog to participate in a clinical study at NCSU. I will have two full weekdays to entertain myself and my dad who is making the trip with me. Thanks in advance! 

Re: Raleigh, NC Recommendations

• I live in NC and I'm going to be honest, there isn't anything overly exciting to do in Raleigh. I'd suggest to go Downtown or Hillsborough Street one night to go out. If you enjoy southern cooking visit the Farmer's Market and then the Farmer's Market Restaurant afterward. There are tons of museums that are mostly free. There is a beer trolley that you can do where to peddle around the city and drink beer. A couple of decent breweries to tour.

The good thing about Raleigh is that it's smack dab in the middle of everything. You could make a day trip to the beach (Wrightsville or Downtown Wilmington) or a day trip to Boone. 

• Thanks @emmaaa, I had that same feeling when I googled, lots to do but nothing that was a "must see". My dad will probably like the idea of the beer trolley though!

I don't want to go too far outside of Raleigh in case any issues arise with my pup during the clinical study but I will look more in to where we could go on a day trip. Thanks again! 
  • @Lulawife You're welcome! I understand not wanting to be far from your pup! There is PLENTY of things to do, just no must-sees in my opinion. 

• I live in Raleigh.  It's not NYC or DC or Boston but there is definitely stuff to do and see and places to eat.  Where are you staying?  DC and I enjoy Brasa steakhouse in Brier Creek, 18 Seaboard and J. Betski's over by William Peace University. Downtown we like Buku, Oak City Meatball Co., Gravy, Jimmy V's.  

As far as stuff to do in the Triangle area (so you'd be about 30 minutes max from NCSU campus): the NC Art Museum is small but nice; I personally love the Lemur Center at Duke; sitting in the cheap seats for a Hurricanes hockey game.

Anniversary

• JaxInBlue said:
    I live in Raleigh.  It's not NYC or DC or Boston but there is definitely stuff to do and see and places to eat.  Where are you staying?  DC and I enjoy Brasa steakhouse in Brier Creek, 18 Seaboard and J. Betski's over by William Peace University. Downtown we like Buku, Oak City Meatball Co., Gravy, Jimmy V's.  

As far as stuff to do in the Triangle area (so you'd be about 30 minutes max from NCSU campus): the NC Art Museum is small but nice; I personally love the Lemur Center at Duke; sitting in the cheap seats for a Hurricanes hockey game.

I'm originally from Durham. If it is a nice day, I suggest going to Duke Campus and the Duke Gardens. I'm a bit biased but they are beautiful. There should be some flowers in March.
  • JaxInBlue said:
    I live in Raleigh.  It's not NYC or DC or Boston but there is definitely stuff to do and see and places to eat.  Where are you staying?  DC and I enjoy Brasa steakhouse in Brier Creek, 18 Seaboard and J. Betski's over by William Peace University. Downtown we like Buku, Oak City Meatball Co., Gravy, Jimmy V's.  

We are staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites but will have my car so we can pretty much head wherever. A friend of mine recommended Oak City Meatball Co. too and the menu looks great. 

I just googled the Lemur Center at Duke and that is right up my alley! Thank you!
  • JaxInBlue said:

I'm originally from Durham. If it is a nice day, I suggest going to Duke Campus and the Duke Gardens. I'm a bit biased but they are beautiful. There should be some flowers in March.
    Duke Gardens is absolutely beautiful! It's beautiful year round but there should be nice flowers in March!

• emmaaa said:
    JaxInBlue said:

Duke Gardens is absolutely beautiful! It's beautiful year round but there should be nice flowers in March!
    H proposed to me at Duke Gardens at the beginning of April - it was gorgeous!
  • emmaaa said:
    H proposed to me at Duke Gardens at the beginning of April - it was gorgeous!
    That is so sweet! It never gets old seeing all he beautiful flowers and trees and shrubs there!

• There's a great kink community there... that's all I really know about Raleigh.

• If you like arcade games and beer, there's Boxcar. It's a bar/arcade complete with cupholders on the machines to hold your beer.