Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

sand ceremony picture frame vs vase?

FI family is big on the unity candle ceremony, however our wedding will be outside so we do not want to use the unity candles. We are going to opt for a sand ceremony instead. Now my question is for anyone who has experience with sand ceremony's already. would a personalized picture frame be too difficult to use? would I be better off buying a vase instead? and what are your thoughts on shadow boxes?

Re: sand ceremony picture frame vs vase?

• My main concern about a picture frame is how big is the opening to pour the sand? You don't want to have such a small opening that you end up spilling sand all over the table. We used a vase for our sand ceremony. In the end, use what will mean the most to you.
  • Many of us here find that a "unity ceremony" is a bit redundant as the wedding ceremony is the actual unity ceremony. In the end, just do what you want in regards to the vessel.
  • My main concern about a picture frame is how big is the opening to pour the sand? You don't want to have such a small opening that you end up spilling sand all over the table. We used a vase for our sand ceremony. In the end, use what will mean the most to you.
    That would be my only concern as well. How easily can you fill it? Will it fill evenly without you having to shake the frame around?

Otherwise, use whatever you want for the sand ceremony.
  • If you used a shadow box frame, that might work. However, most of those I think are about 12x12 inches, which would be WAY too big and take forever to fill. If either of you or a family member is handy, maybe you could take a nice looking frame front and add a deeper back to it.
  • Either is fine.   IMO, I think the frame is "better" because it ultimately holds a photo.   By the time you're married a few years you may look at a vase sitting around wondering what to do with it.

I will say:
    -If you have kids, expect that the perfection of the frame will be shaken up eventually - enjoy it.
    -You don't need to add to the ceremony as PPs said.   The ceremony IS unifying.