Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Help! Efficiently Searching for Wedding Photographers

Help! Looking for tips on easily locating a photographer that has my date available, fits my budget, and my style. I’m finding that even with sites like The Knot, I still need to message a ton of photographers just to find a handful that fit my criteria. Anyone else experiencing this?!

Thanks for your help!

Emily from Toronto

Re: Help! Efficiently Searching for Wedding Photographers

• Yep, I had to do a lot of leg work, but I had saved a "form" letter that I sent to each person, so that I didn't have to keep re-creating the wording and my questions.

The Knot allows you to specify a dollar range when searching ( $, $$, $$$, etc) and I thought that was helpful. Before you reach out to them you can check out the photographers website - once there you can sort of tell their style by the pictures they showcase. They may even mention their style if they give a bio, etc. You're going to have to ask about dates, unless they have a calendar on their website, but I found none did.

Have you booked a vendor for the ceremony and reception? These two places might even have a "preferred vendor list" or a list of suggestions. I used that and it was really helpful (having my ceremony & reception at the same place).
  • I'm from Toronto and can help. I just went through looking for a photographer. I liked luminous, Samantha Clarke and focus. Hope this helps!!! 
  • I also struggled. The photographers that were easy to find via wedding websites, wedding shows, or google searches tended to charge more than was our budget. We ended up finding our photographer after connecting with friends and other brides. I can pm you the photographer's info, if you are still looking. Good luck!