Wedding Woes

Have y'all seen this?

http://theslot.jezebel.com/melania-trump-definitely-loves-her-husband-and-is-very-1791531766

Man, I just feel more and more sorry for her.  I doubt that she signed on for any of this, and I doubt that he gives a crap.

Re: Have y'all seen this?

• I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle of the mess.  I also think at this point, her priority is Barron (regardless of whether or not the armchair diagnoses are correct) because he's a 10 year old child. 
  • I can honestly see both sides of this situation. I do think she's miserable, but I don't feel too bad for her. I wonder if there is some kind of "cheerleader" clause in their prenup where she is required to support him regardless for X number of years until he divorces her for a younger woman. 
  • I don't feel bad for her in the slightest, even assuming she is unhappy.  And I'm not making that assumption either.  She knew what marrying Trump would be.  I'm sure she didn't know he would become POTUS someday, but I highly doubt she is unhappy with that circumstance either.

I will say this, I hadn't seen the footage where he left Melania at the car while he went up to greet the Obamas without her.  Wowzers.  It doesn't even occur to him to be a gentleman when the whole world is watching.

Okay, so I don't know if this is true...because it isn't there now...but I read an article that said on the official White House website under the Melania bio, it talked about that she was a successful entrepreneur who launched her own jewelry line in 2010 that is currently being sold on QVC (paraphrasing).  I just checked the WH website and all of that is there, just like the article I read described, except the QVC part.

I was pretty furious when I read that article.  But either that part was never there or the Trumps or someone else on the White House staff had the good sense to remove the blatant sales pitch for her jewelry line.  I don't mind the bio saying she has a jewelry line.  To me, that kind of information seems appropriate for a person's bio.  But not the practically saying "and you can buy it at QVC" part.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTT said:
    This is all so damn dumb.

There is plenty to criticize about Trump and his administration w/out going after his marriage.  I really truly do not give 2 craps about their marriage or even Melania really, as long as there's no physical abuse or other non-consensual things.  I usually dislike it when people think you can't care about multiple issues, but I've seen more BS about their marriage floating around than I have about the global gag order being reinstated.  One of these issues costs lives and the other isn't even good gossip.

Fair enough, but my point is that she looks completely miserable, and I feel badly for her.
  • She is a distraction from his shit. She is there to play a role. To be fair, she is a poor woman's version of his first wife who was the brains of his organization for many years and is where his kids get their brains from. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2017
    VarunaTT said:
    This is all so damn dumb.

There is plenty to criticize about Trump and his administration w/out going after his marriage.  I really truly do not give 2 craps about their marriage or even Melania really, as long as there's no physical abuse or other non-consensual things.  I usually dislike it when people think you can't care about multiple issues, but I've seen more BS about their marriage floating around than I have about the global gag order being reinstated.  One of these issues costs lives and the other isn't even good gossip.

I agree.

I only feel sorry for her because I think she signed up to be a trophy wife/mother, not a First Lady.   I bet in a million years did she think he would win. Heck, 10 years ago she might not every believe he would have ever run, let alone win.  Being the FLOTUS isn't easy. Everything you do, everything you wear is criticized.  Then add in recent years we have some strong FL like Michelle and Hilary, well it can't be easy for her.   She was happy being a tycoon's wife, mother and entrepreneur .   FLOTUS are not elected, but there are very high expectation of them.

ETA - I also think she has a little bit of a resting bitch face.  So she looks miserable in some pictures when she might not really be at all.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I don't feel bad for her in the slightest, even assuming she is unhappy.  And I'm not making that assumption either.  She knew what marrying Trump would be.  I'm sure she didn't know he would become POTUS someday, but I highly doubt she is unhappy with that circumstance either.

I will say this, I hadn't seen the footage where he left Melania at the car while he went up to greet the Obamas without her.  Wowzers.  It doesn't even occur to him to be a gentleman when the whole world is watching.

Okay, so I don't know if this is true...because it isn't there now...but I read an article that said on the official White House website under the Melania bio, it talked about that she was a successful entrepreneur who launched her own jewelry line in 2010 that is currently being sold on QVC (paraphrasing).  I just checked the WH website and all of that is there, just like the article I read described, except the QVC part.

I was pretty furious when I read that article.  But either that part was never there or the Trumps or someone else on the White House staff had the good sense to remove the blatant sales pitch for her jewelry line.  I don't mind the bio saying she has a jewelry line.  To me, that kind of information seems appropriate for a person's bio.  But not the practically saying "and you can buy it at QVC" part.

They removed it. Changed it from "she launched her own jewelry line,'Melania™ Timepieces & Jewelry,' on QVC" to "she launched her own jewelry line in 2010", basically.

They don't sell it anymore.
  • Im conflicted with all this tbh. If she is being emotionally, physically, or psychologically abused (and that wouldn't surprise me), then she needs help and support. If she isn't, this still isn't something she signed up for. And she has a child. Who also had no choice in any of this. In generally we put too much on the winces of women whose husbands decided (maybe with their support, maybe not) to take on something that would irrevocably change their lives. 

And lets be real, it's going to be hard as hell for her to get out of that marriage without his permission, while I'm sure he could leave at the drop of a hat. There is clearly a power imbalance in that marriage, but let's also not pretend that just because she's wealthy and has resources that she's got it easy. 
  • I'm in between @charlotte98975 and  @VarunaTT  on this one.

First of all, there are so many real reasons to criticism him  so I'm frustrated that people keep taking the low hanging fruit.  Secondly, I'm not so apt to compare a couple who has been accustomed to the pomp and circumstance for 8 years (plus his Senate and state career) to a couple on their first day.  I imagine even for someone like Trump it had to be a bit nerve wrecking and overwhelming so I'm not going to read into his body language with his wife.  I like the video where she tries to give Barron a high five and he disses her.  It's an endearing, real life interaction and it's cute.

However, Trump has successfully gaslighted the American people so it's not a shock that she's likely been manipulated too.  Sure, she may be tormented in designer duds, but abuse is abuse.
    Can we talk about how adorable the video of Barron playing peakaboo with the baby during the order signing was? 
  • Heffalump said:
    I'm in between @charlotte98975 and  @VarunaTT  on this one.

First of all, there are so many real reasons to criticism him  so I'm frustrated that people keep taking the low hanging fruit.  Secondly, I'm not so apt to compare a couple who has been accustomed to the pomp and circumstance for 8 years (plus his Senate and state career) to a couple on their first day.  I imagine even for someone like Trump it had to be a bit nerve wrecking and overwhelming so I'm not going to read into his body language with his wife.  I like the video where she tries to give Barron a high five and he disses her.  It's an endearing, real life interaction and it's cute.

However, Trump has successfully gaslighted the American people so it's not a shock that she's likely been manipulated too.  Sure, she may be tormented in designer duds, but abuse is abuse.
    I see what you're saying, and FWIW, I don't feel like I'm coming at it from a low-hanging fruit perspective.  I'm not trying to say "I hate Trump, ergo his wife sucks, ha ha at all of them."  Every time I see her, she looks genuinely unhappy.  And TBH, it's not hard to imagine why. Maybe it seems like more of a contrast after seeing Michelle Obama looking confident, comfortable in her skin, and generally like she was having a pretty a good time--even from Day 1. 

Yes, she signed on to being a trophy wife, with all that it entails, and apparently she was okay with that.  Not my choice, but it's her life, you do you.  But then he decides to run for president and actually wins.  That's a whole other ballgame.  By all accounts, she's a good mother to Barron, and now she has to deal with secret service, possibly moving and changing schools, crazies, celebrities commenting on his neurobiology, and everything else.  People are protesting in the streets (rightly so), there is no shortage of people pillorying her husband (rightly so), and I think all she wanted was to lunch with her friends, raise her kid, and sell some jewelry.  And that's all been blown up.

Don't feel bad for her if you (general) don't want to, but it's not really a distraction from bigger issues.  It's okay to be mad about the global gag order, repealing the ACA, the EPA gag order, and still feel sorry someone who seems to be more or less collateral damage.
    I agree with a lot of this. But some of the personal attacks on her I've seen, or the "I don't feel bad for her at all, she's just as terrible as him" I think are unwarranted. Yes she stayed with him, but women stay in relationships for all kinds of reasons. Let's just not vilify her when she's not the one burning down the country. 
  • @Heffalump, sorry that wasn't directed at you per say.  It's more along the lines of the people who are all over them for the superficial things, including those images from the inauguration.

It's like criticizing Hitler for wearing a stupid mustache and ignoring genocide.  Focus people!
  • @Heffalump, sorry that wasn't directed at you per say.  It's more along the lines of the people who are all over them for the superficial things, including those images from the inauguration.

It's like criticizing Hitler for wearing a stupid mustache and ignoring genocide.  Focus people!

Oh, I know, which is why I was careful to put "you (general)."  I agree, I saw some nonsense about Chelsea Handler making fun of Melania's accent and I was like "Seriously?"  WTF? 
  • Heffalump said:
    @Heffalump, sorry that wasn't directed at you per say.  It's more along the lines of the people who are all over them for the superficial things, including those images from the inauguration.

Oh, I know, which is why I was careful to put "you (general)."  I agree, I saw some nonsense about Chelsea Handler making fun of Melania's accent and I was like "Seriously?"  WTF? 
    Yeah someone I know posted about the SNL writer and then Chelsea with some dumb comment about how if people did it to Clinton....um, she was ripped apart by comedians.  Because they're comedians!