Flowers

WHICH FLOWER ROUTE TO TAKE FOR A BUDGET WEDDING?

My mom took on flower duty, but I don't think she knows how expensive they can get for a wedding;I only have a slight idea and it's not within budget. So! I found a site called Afloral for silk flowers, and we'd use Michael's for the rest?  Will a florist make my flower arrangements with silk flowers and a couple of choice real flower arrangements?

Re: WHICH FLOWER ROUTE TO TAKE FOR A BUDGET WEDDING?

• Tia&Dre said:
    My mom took on flower duty, but I don't think she knows how expensive they can get for a wedding;I only have a slight idea and it's not within budget. So! I found a site called Afloral for silk flowers, and we'd use Michael's for the rest?  Will a florist make my flower arrangements with silk flowers and a couple of choice real flower arrangements?
    Some flowers are way more expensive than others, especially at different times of year. Silk flowers are not necessarily going to be cheaper. Flexibility is key. Can't tell you what the florist will be comfortable doing - I imagine some would arrange their flowers with your silk flowers, but then they're probably going to charge you for their labor in arranging it as well as for the flowers.

How many flowers are you looking at having? I'd cut everything besides bouquets, bouts, and corsages. If you're going to do it yourselves, arranging flowers is a lot of work, even with silk. You don't need floral centerpieces, aisle decorations, etc.
  • I'm having an intimate fall, outdoor ceremony. I would've only wanted to have flowers in the aisles; I'd need about 5 bridesmaids bouquets, 5 bouts,  3 corsages, and petals
  • Tia&Dre said:
    Florists are in business to make money.  If you are supplying your own flowers,  most florists would not want to be responsible for arranging flowers, especially from a source they do not personally use.

Why silk flowers?  Is it just to save money, or is that what you really want?

Try Sam's Club, Costco, or your local grocery stores.  They often have floral departments.  Go simple.  A ribbon tied around a small bunch of long stemmed flowers (tulips, jonquils, carnations) can make a lovely bouquet for your bridesmaids.  My sister had her attendants each carrying a single, long stemmed rose.  Daughter had her attendants carry one single hydrangea bloom.  (Not a good warm weather flower, as they wilt quickly.)
    Years ago, the florist I used was very sympathetic, and used inexpensive flowers, carnations, daisies, and baby's breath, to make beautiful bouquets.

There are many ways to stay on budget and still use real flowers.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I did use artificial flowers but my florist specialized in artificial and had many distributers to select from. I also got to see my bouquet/bouts/corsages as they were bring made and provide feedback. Everyone was very surprised that my bouquet was made of artificial flowers. It didn't save me any money but I really wanted to keep the flowers as a memory. Try calling up several florists to ask if they work with artificial and if you can see some samples.

• CMGragain said:
    Tia&Dre said:
    I'm having an intimate fall, outdoor ceremony. I would've only wanted to have flowers in the aisles; I'd need about 5 bridesmaids bouquets, 5 bouts,  3 corsages, and petals
    OK, good fall flowers would be chrysanthemums and daisies.  They come in lots of colors, and chrysanthemums can be big flowers!  .  If you really need aisle flowers, buy pots of chrysanthemums (hardy varieties) and place them near the aisle.  (Check your local nursery.) After the wedding, you can have the parents or guests take them home and plant them in the garden.  What a nice remembrance of your wedding!

Image result for chrysanthemum wedding images

This is a great idea. You could even use them for centerpieces at the reception if you are serving a meal.
  • Before you say "I can't afford a florist" - set a budget, then go into a couple local florists (mid-range) and say "I have a budget of $$$ (be realistic, you're going to have a ton of nickels and dimes into DIY), I need flowers for these people, what can I get for the money?" and WORK WITH YOUR FLORIST!  It's a lot easier to pick them up on your way to the ceremony than it is to arrange them yourselves.  Also, as CMG recommended, check out Sam's Club, FTD, Costco, etc. as they have "Wedding boxes" that you just chop off the ends (which takes more time than you think!) and put them into water.  BUT, work with some florists first before completely limiting it out of the budget! 
  • Can't start a new discussion for some reason!? I also am on a diy flower budget! I know which flowers and how much they may cost but having trouble finding a picture of what it looks like together and where I can order a sample to see if they'll look good together or not! Very frustrating LOL can anyone help? My flowers for the bouquets are burgundy dahlias white anemones dusty miller and Italian ruscus. For the tables burgundy dahlias white anemones dusty miller and Silver brunia balls. PLEASE HELP!
  • Can't start a new discussion for some reason!? I also am on a diy flower budget! I know which flowers and how much they may cost but having trouble finding a picture of what it looks like together and where I can order a sample to see if they'll look good together or not! Very frustrating LOL can anyone help? My flowers for the bouquets are burgundy dahlias white anemones dusty miller and Italian ruscus. For the tables burgundy dahlias white anemones dusty miller and Silver brunia balls. PLEASE HELP!

DIY doesn't mean cheaper. Have you done bouquets and arrangements before? If not, a wedding isn't the best time to be trying things out. If you are a bouquet and arrangement guru, try pinterest for ideas. Most florists can work within a budget. If you say, I have $ money to spend and I need x bouquets/bouts/corsages and table arrangements, they will likely be able to help. They will work with in season items and know how to make arrangements.
  • ernursej said:
    Can't start a new discussion for some reason!? I also am on a diy flower budget! I know which flowers and how much they may cost but having trouble finding a picture of what it looks like together and where I can order a sample to see if they'll look good together or not! Very frustrating LOL can anyone help? My flowers for the bouquets are burgundy dahlias white anemones dusty miller and Italian ruscus. For the tables burgundy dahlias white anemones dusty miller and Silver brunia balls. PLEASE HELP!

DIY doesn't mean cheaper. Have you done bouquets and arrangements before? If not, a wedding isn't the best time to be trying things out. If you are a bouquet and arrangement guru, try pinterest for ideas. Most florists can work within a budget. If you say, I have $ money to spend and I need x bouquets/bouts/corsages and table arrangements, they will likely be able to help. They will work with in season items and know how to make arrangements.
    THIS!!!!  Also - the cost of the "Trials" need to be factored into your flower budget, those stems don't come free!  You're making the item twice instead of just having the florist who has all of the nickel and dime pieces in-stock (for much less $$$) to do it once for likely the same price.  Those anemones are going to bust your budget and none of those blooms are really going to be friendly to DIY work with.  Just something to think about...
  • I'm also trying to have a cheap flower option, so I'm making my own paper rose bouquets out of book pages. :) I'm only going to have a few bouquets and maybe some boutonnieres, and that's it for flowers.