Wedding Woes

Re: "Trump wants 20 percent import tax to pay for Mexico wall"

• So, we'll be culling out some space for a garden this spring/summer and hitting up the farmers markets as much as possible.  I guess I should figure out how to can shit too so we can have decently fresh stuff next winter.  #itstheonlyway 
  • Goodbye guacamole. 
  • How does a 20% tax "wholly respect the American taxpayer" when that 20% will just get added into the cost of the item when we purchase it at the store???  It would cause Americans to NOT purchase any Mexican goods, where would that land us?  Taxpayers still paying for a stupid wall that doesn't need to exist.  #FuckingWall
  • Goodbye guacamole. 

Sorry, I can't help myself for the bit of tangent.  Avocados were one of the few exceptions to NAFTA, way back when.  I don't know if this is still true but, at the time, 95% of the avocados sold in the U.S. came from CA.

With 50% of those specifically coming from the small city of Escondido (north San Diego County).  The "next door town" to the college I went to, lol.

I'll hang my head sadly on the tequila and delicious margaritas they produce.  But unless things have changed radically since I was in school, our guacamole should be safe.

Not that he'd listen to me, but I wish I could sit down with him and say, "Darlin', I know you've always lived in NYC, so I'll try to excuse your utter ignorance.  But I grew up 60 miles from the Mexican border.  No one comes into the U.S. across miles of inhospitable desert wasteland.  Illegal immigrants coming in from Mexico use tunnels and they hide in cars that go through checkpoints.  Because that is where civilization is and that is where the roads are. There are already walls.  There are already gates.  At all the places the majority of illegal folks come in through.  So stop!  Just stop.  Stop making a fool of yourself.  Stop threatening to enormously waste our tax dollars and the price of our Mexican imports."

Oh!  And also, Trump.  Have you ever seen those hilarious dog videos where a puppers, against all odds and every obstacle their owners put in the way, STILL manages to constantly get out of their walled in yard?  News flash.  People are pretty smart like that also.  I'm just sayin'.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Goodbye guacamole. 

Sorry, I can't help myself for the bit of tangent.  Avocados were one of the few exceptions to NAFTA, way back when.  I don't know if this is still true but, at the time, 95% of the avocados sold in the U.S. came from CA.

With 50% of those specifically coming from the small city of Escondido (north San Diego County).  The "next door town" to the college I went to, lol.

I'll hang my head sadly on the tequila and delicious margaritas they produce.  But unless things have changed radically since I was in school, our guacamole should be safe.

Not that he'd listen to me, but I wish I could sit down with him and say, "Darlin', I know you've always lived in NYC, so I'll try to excuse your utter ignorance.  But I grew up 60 miles from the Mexican border.  No one comes into the U.S. across miles of inhospitable desert wasteland.  Illegal immigrants coming in from Mexico use tunnels and they hide in cars that go through checkpoints.  Because that is where civilization is and that is where the roads are. There are already walls.  There are already gates.  At all the places the majority of illegal folks come in through.  So stop!  Just stop.  Stop making a fool of yourself.  Stop threatening to enormously waste our tax dollars and the price of our Mexican imports."

Oh!  And also, Trump.  Have you ever seen those hilarious dog videos where a puppers, against all odds and every obstacle their owners put in the way, STILL manages to constantly get out of their walled in yard?  News flash.  People are pretty smart like that also.  I'm just sayin'.

SITB:

YES.  This is just pure common sense.  

• VarunaTT said:
    Goodbye guacamole. 

SITB:

YES.  This is just pure common sense.  

Aye, there's the rub!
  • Goodbye guacamole. 

Definitely was true, but it seems no longer:

In 2014, the United States consumed about 4 billion avocados, 85 percent of which were imported. That’s 3.4 billion avocados from overseas each year.

Source (and also an interesting article if y'all have not had the chance to read it yet):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/01/26/america-could-need-to-buy-25-billion-avocados-so-mexico-can-pay-for-the-wall/?utm_term=.b0b6613afd05

And yeah, he'd better not slap an import duty on tequila just when we need it most.
  • TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    Heffalump said:
    Goodbye guacamole. 

Definitely was true, but it seems no longer:

In 2014, the United States consumed about 4 billion avocados, 85 percent of which were imported. That’s 3.4 billion avocados from overseas each year.

Source (and also an interesting article if y'all have not had the chance to read it yet):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/01/26/america-could-need-to-buy-25-billion-avocados-so-mexico-can-pay-for-the-wall/?utm_term=.b0b6613afd05

And yeah, he'd better not slap an import duty on tequila just when we need it most.

I wonder if you guys bought it from duty free in Canada if that would count? I'm just trying to help my neighbours out...

ETA: Quotation
  • It's possible I have outdated info again, lol.  But it used to be up to "two 750ML" bottles of liquor could be brought over the border.

Seriously, though (not that tequila isn't serious), I bet we would all be absolutely stunned* at how much is imported from Mexico.  That's what happens when countries are geographically close to each other.  Not only items we directly buy, but also items that are components of American goods we buy.  Bottom line, 20% import tax=higher prices for the American people.

*I'm sure Trump will be stunned also.  I highly doubt he looked at any facts or research about Mexican imported goods and their impact on our country.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @varunatt that has been my reaction every time there is breaking news. 

Speaking of which, it's almost noon EST and he hasn't destroyed anything yet?  On the 7th day he rests?

The import tax/NAFTA/wall stuff really bothers me.  Living in Michigan people are very anti-NATA.  I'm a liberal who breaks from the party and state on that.  I also think the NAFTA argument is too little, too late.  Automation isn't on the horizon, it's here and within a decade plant jobs won't be what they are today and we need to focus on diversifying our workforce, not holding out for jobs that are going to be eliminated anyways.  Plus, I was supposed to get a bid package for one of customers in Mexico and haven't yet, which makes me wonder if this is causing them to change purchasing strategies.
  • VarunaTT said:
    @varunatt that has been my reaction every time there is breaking news. 

Speaking of which, it's almost noon EST and he hasn't destroyed anything yet?  On the 7th day he rests?

The import tax/NAFTA/wall stuff really bothers me.  Living in Michigan people are very anti-NATA.  I'm a liberal who breaks from the party and state on that.  I also think the NAFTA argument is too little, too late.  Automation isn't on the horizon, it's here and within a decade plant jobs won't be what they are today and we need to focus on diversifying our workforce, not holding out for jobs that are going to be eliminated anyways.  Plus, I was supposed to get a bid package for one of customers in Mexico and haven't yet, which makes me wonder if this is causing them to change purchasing strategies.

PREACH.  I got into an argument with someone the other day about this, b/c I asked them what factory jobs they thought there was going to be exactly, besides the supervisor and the IT person.  That's it, it's all done by automation now.

Also, I think it was just last year we finally close a trade deficit with Mexico, b/c we import so much from them.  I'm sure this is going to screw that all to hell and back.

There's just so much short sightedness going on and it's maddening.  Then with the social justice attacks, it just gets sickening.  I basically feel like you're screwing the economy and your citizens to get us back to cis-gender hetereonormative white male guided society and there's a whole lot of people that were miserable AF during that time.  Like...everyone who wasn't a cis-het-white-male.

My H and I were watching a documentary about secret societies the other day, like Masons.  And the folks in them were talking about why they were great.  How the contacts they made have helped them in their career/business.

Well, how very nice for them.  Except women can't be members.  Perhaps minority males can, but I sure as f**k have never seen one as a member on one of those shows.

My H is a cis-het-white-male.  I joked with him while we watched it that, especially in this new Trump era, he needed to start taking advantage of his straight, white, maleness.  It's the perfect time.  He ruefully laughed and sadly said, "I know, right?" 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @varunatt that has been my reaction every time there is breaking news. 

Yep.  The reason my boss is headed there next week is because we have some sizeable customers there.  Considering this stupid drama has tanked the peso, it's sure not doing us any favors.
  • VarunaTT said:
    @varunatt that has been my reaction every time there is breaking news. 

PREACH.  I got into an argument with someone the other day about this, b/c I asked them what factory jobs they thought there was going to be exactly, besides the supervisor and the IT person.  That's it, it's all done by automation now.

Also, I think it was just last year we finally close a trade deficit with Mexico, b/c we import so much from them.  I'm sure this is going to screw that all to hell and back.

There's just so much short sightedness going on and it's maddening.  Then with the social justice attacks, it just gets sickening.  I basically feel like you're screwing the economy and your citizens to get us back to cis-gender hetereonormative white male guided society and there's a whole lot of people that were miserable AF during that time.  Like...everyone who wasn't a cis-het-white-male.

My H and I were watching a documentary about secret societies the other day, like Masons.  And the folks in them were talking about why they were great.  How the contacts they made have helped them in their career/business.

Well, how very nice for them.  Except women can't be members.  Perhaps minority males can, but I sure as f**k have never seen one as a member on one of those shows.

My H is a cis-het-white-male.  I joked with him while we watched it that, especially in this new Trump era, he needed to start taking advantage of his straight, white, maleness.  It's the perfect time.  He ruefully laughed and sadly said, "I know, right?" 

My mom's husband is African American and he's a Mason. Definitely not common, but they do have minorities. However, my mom gets ragey (and rightly so) over the fact that women are not permitted to become members.
  • @varunaTT - It's maddening how people I work with don't even see it.  We sell forklifts that don't need operators.  We're going to a conference in March about automating forklifts, and everyone's like - well Ford kept 700 jobs in Detroit they were going to send to Mexico.  Yeah, and the Economist says those jobs are temporary anyways!

But then again our technicians like Trump because he tells it like it is.  Yeah and when you're still on your back under a truck wrenching in 30  years because he raised the age for social security you're going to be glad that's what you based your vote on.

I also work with a few "I don't feminism" women.  Well, your daughters do.  And I know you make less than the male manager at the same rank in the hierarchy as you, so have fun being an independent woman.

• Goodbye guacamole. 

I have to disagree with this.  I grew up 2 miles from the border (I spent my high school years drinking in Mexico after literally walking over the bridge, we were that close).  There are plenty of people who pay coyotajes (coyotes) money to smuggle them across the border.  They often use the desert because it is less patrolled than the city borders.  Coyotes drive these people near the border and then lead them across.  Coyotes are notorious for leaving people stranded in the desert with no water once they are on the American side of the border.  It is sadly not rare to come across someone in the desert in desperate need of help (or even worse - deceased).  

• @Heffalump and @kimmiinthemitten, not that I'm surprised, but it's so sad to already be seeing immediate negative effects of him spouting his mouth off with no thought.  He just doesn't get it and I want to repeatedly punch a wall.

It's fine for him to scream, "Jump," in his own corporations and everyone yells back, "How high?"  But words out of his mouth now can have drastic global effects. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My mom's husband is African American and he's a Mason. Definitely not common, but they do have minorities. However, my mom gets ragey (and rightly so) over the fact that women are not permitted to become members.

it still pisses off my grandmother.  Thought she did tell me there was a female equivalent of some sort for the wives.

I snuck a peek at my grandfather's Mason bible a few times.  I couldn't tell any difference, which my movie-influenced perception was highly disappointed by.
  • VarunaTT said:

My mom's husband is African American and he's a Mason. Definitely not common, but they do have minorities. However, my mom gets ragey (and rightly so) over the fact that women are not permitted to become members.

it still pisses off my grandmother.  Thought she did tell me there was a female equivalent of some sort for the wives.

I snuck a peek at my grandfather's Mason bible a few times.  I couldn't tell any difference, which my movie-influenced perception was highly disappointed by.
    Yes it is called the Eastern Star. My Dad was a Mason but I don't think my Mom was. Yeah there was no difference in the Bibles that I remember. Dad kept his out on a table in the living room.

Just curious, do you object to fraternities and sororities too? No problem if you do (H hated the greek system but I was in a sorority).
  • IDK if you meant me @ILoveBeachMusic, but I find the evolution of my opinion on sororities and fraternities kind of interesting.  I didn't like them in college.  I think it's b/c the system I was familiar with was the social.  

The leadership/major focused ones, I wish I had known more about b/c the people I know as an adult have really benefitted from the connections and experiences they made through those organizations.
  • VarunaTT said:
    IDK if you meant me @ILoveBeachMusic, but I find the evolution of my opinion on sororities and fraternities kind of interesting.  I didn't like them in college.  I think it's b/c the system I was familiar with was the social.  

The leadership/major focused ones, I wish I had known more about b/c the people I know as an adult have really benefitted from the connections and experiences they made through those organizations.
    Sorry @VarunaTT, I didn't realize you hadn't made the original comment about all male organizations and the connections they made. I knew I was answering you about the Mason's female organization. My husband's opinion has changed in the same way yours has. For our youngest son, it was very beneficial for him to be in a fraternity (emphasis on grades, philanthropy and connections) while our older two (boy and girl) had no interest in the greek system. I am still in touch with many of my "sisters" and it has been quite beneficial from medical advice, parenting and work leads.
  • VarunaTT said:
    IDK if you meant me @ILoveBeachMusic, but I find the evolution of my opinion on sororities and fraternities kind of interesting.  I didn't like them in college.  I think it's b/c the system I was familiar with was the social.  

Sorry @VarunaTT, I didn't realize you hadn't made the original comment about all male organizations and the connections they made. I knew I was answering you about the Mason's female organization. My husband's opinion has changed in the same way yours has. For our youngest son, it was very beneficial for him to be in a fraternity (emphasis on grades, philanthropy and connections) while our older two (boy and girl) had no interest in the greek system. I am still in touch with many of my "sisters" and it has been quite beneficial from medical advice, parenting and work leads.

I was the one who originally made the comment.  I was in a sorority in college so this is hardly an unbiased opinion, lol.  But I see it as being different.

I see the secret society memberships, granted just what I've seen on documentaries, can have far reaching effects in helping one's career.  And the main one, Masons, is male only.  There isn't a female version of this kind of far reaching club.  Not saying there should be.  And I'm not counting a Mason's "wife" club, which I'm assuming one would have to be the wife of a Mason to join (though I don't know that for sure).

Whereas, with the college Greek system, there are both fraternities and sororities.  Similar for both genders.  Plus I don't necessarily see people getting a huge leg up in a job, just because they are in the same frat/sor as a potential hire or for a promotion.  I'm not saying that doesn't happen, but I don't think it's the norm, unless (maybe) there is a more personal connection.  But that goes both ways with just being in the Greek system.  For example, I was friends with a lot of fraternity guys.  Because we hung out in the same circles.  One of them, who graduated one year before me, offered me a job when I graduated.  I didn't take it, but he offered it to me because he knew me.  And offered it to me over members of his fraternity who were graduating at the same time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker