Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

How to make a photo slideshow with music?

Does anyone know what program to use to make a photo slideshow with music? We want to make one of those slideshows with photos of us growing up. We have a PC, not a Mac. Thanks!

Re: How to make a photo slideshow with music?

• Does anyone know what program to use to make a photo slideshow with music? We want to make one of those slideshows with photos of us growing up. We have a PC, not a Mac. Thanks!
    Honestly, I would skip this all together.

I would suggest if you absolutely MUST have a slideshow, have it on in the background so people can continue to talk and mingle (and they can watch if they want). Or you can frame a few photos and have them on display during your cocktail hour.

No one likes being a captive audience. Please don't shut down your party where everyone has to stop and watch photos of you. It just turns it into a vanity project. There is a reason there is an old joke about being forced to watch other people's holiday slides. 

You can make a music-less slideshow in powerpoint, but trust me, it will NOT be missed if you decide to do something else. 
  • If you do make a slideshow, please don't force everyone to sit through it in the middle of your reception.  I have nothing against seeing the photos on display along the side of the room (during cocktail hour or the reception), but I've had to "sit through" a few of them and it sucks when all you want to do is continue your conversation, go get a drink, or use the restroom but you feel like you are going to interrupt everything.

That being said, you can make a fairly simple slideshow using MS Powerpoint.  You can add special animations between the slides and have them play specific sounds if you want.  This can be nice as you can make more a scrapbook effect and add text/captions/whatever to the photo(s) on each slide.

I also believe that most photo viewers come with a built in slideshow mode.  Just save all the photos to a single folder (and please make sure there is nothing you DON'T want to share in that folder!).  Then, and this may vary, you can open one of those photos and then click along the top until you find a slideshow option.  Most of the time it is under file menu.  Some have more advanced options then others.

• Not asking if I should have a slideshow, asking how to make one. Any suggestions in that realm would be great!
  • Not asking if I should have a slideshow, asking how to make one. Any suggestions in that realm would be great!
    So powerpoint and photoviewers aren't suggestions? I'm starting to see why this may be beyond your technical expertise. 

Here is a suggestion to help you do it: http://ow.ly/Y0ka308xr6O

So powerpoint and photoviewers aren't suggestions? I'm starting to see why this may be beyond your technical expertise. 

Here is a suggestion to help you do it: http://ow.ly/Y0ka308xr6O

I'm sorry, did you suggest powerpoint or photoviewers as an option for a slideshow with music? Or did you just tell me not to do it and imply that if I do, it's a vanity project, then suggest a music-less slideshow, which was not what I was asking. THEN, you posted that dumb link, probably while feeling very satisfied with yourself.

I'm starting to see why people say to stay off the forums because of the catty women.
  • cowgirl8238cowgirl8238 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2017
    Not asking if I should have a slideshow, asking how to make one. Any suggestions in that realm would be great!

So I gave you two suggestions and even how to do it using the built in photoviewers...

I'm sorry, did you suggest powerpoint or photoviewers as an option for a slideshow with music? Or did you just tell me not to do it and imply that if I do, it's a vanity project, then suggest a music-less slideshow, which was not what I was asking. THEN, you posted that dumb link, probably while feeling very satisfied with yourself.

I'm starting to see why people say to stay off the forums because of the catty women.

Yes making people watch your slideshow is a bit vain, and totally overdone. I HATE being a captive audience member!  The only reason I have stuck around here is to help couples plan awesome, kick ass weddings that won't leave their guests JUDGING and SIDE-EYEing them.  There is no wedding police that will arrest you if you force your guests to sit through a powerpoint presentation of your precious photos, but there are guests that will dislike it...they won't say it to your face...but they will say it to each other.

I have been to a solid 10 weddings over the past three years.  Two couples had these "everyone look at our photos" slideshows that went on for 10 minutes...sure a few people awed or laughed, but most people looked bored.  At one, someone got up to use the restroom and got a death stare from the Bride.  Once it was over someone inevitably leaned over and made a comment like "can't get those last 10 minutes back" or "like I really cared".  When couples had them to the side (3 other weddings had a slideshow/portraits on a table), for people to browse at their leisure no one complained at all.  That was the point we were making.

As a side note the reception is to thank guests for attending your ceremony...I don't really feel like I am being thanked when I have to sit through numerous things.  The spotlight dances are okay, but after 15 minutes of those, plus the speeches, it gets to be a lot.  Then you want to add in a slideshow...I would recommend to anyone who posted this to limit the time you hold your guests captive with such things.

ETA: Missing Word!

• PPs have offered excellent suggestions - you never gave us your skill set, so PowerPoint and photoviewers were pretty great suggestions without us knowing all the facts and/or having telepathy. 

PPs have also offered excellent advice -  as we here at TK have attended a plethora of weddings and some of us have also planned our own. Forcing your guests to sit through a self-serving slideshow during the portion of the day that is actually supposed to be about your guests (the reception) is not a good idea. PPs were merely trying to save you the embarrassment by helping you avoid getting side-eyed by your friends and family.

Furthermore, I think you owe @cowgirl8238 and @LondonLisa an apology for your Veruca-Salt-esque attitude. 

I recommend Adobe Premier Pro, if and only if you know how to use it. I was going to offer a brief tutorial via PM, but I don't want to waste my valuable time on someone with such poor manners. 
  • ahoyweddingahoywedding member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    I'm going to be in the minority here and say I love the slide shows. When I've seen them at weddings in the past, they've typically been played during dinner (once everyone has their food) so it's not like the action is halted. People are sitting down anyway, and they can pay attention or not. 

ETA: Even though I agree with the slideshow idea, Knottie#s that is STILL not a reason to be so rude.
  • edited February 2017
    I'm going to be in the minority here and say I love the slide shows. When I've seen them at weddings in the past, they've typically been played during dinner (once everyone has their food) so it's not like the action is halted. People are sitting down anyway, and they can pay attention or not. 

ETA: Even though I agree with the slideshow idea, Knottie#s that is STILL not a reason to be so rude.
    Agree 100%! Have it on during cocktail hour (if you're having one), during dinner, or even before the ceremony.

Never tried Photoviewer, but PowerPoint is pretty easy. The best way to learn is to spend time playing with it. I basically taught myself, and I'm not a particularly tech-savvy person.

Do make sure you back your slideshow up. Have it on some external media (USB or CD), and in the cloud as well.

Have fun, but don't get carried away!