Chit Chat

December Wedding

I'm recently engaged and I would to do an early an December wedding and I have told a few people that idea and some say that they think it's a bad idea because it's the holiday season and I will not receive as many gifts. 
What are your thoughts on this? Please help!

Re: December Wedding

• I think you need to ask some other people for their opinion. It seems weird that one of things they mention is that you'd receive less gifts.

December could be nice because a venue might already be decorated for Christmas and would require less decorations on your end. One negative could be that because of the holidays people might be busy with parties, family events, etc and might not be able to attend your wedding.
  • No you are right, i didn't take it the wrong way. It's just crazy someone would say that to me and i was kind of heart broken i wanted it to be because I love the month of December and I love that time of the year. I don't are about the gifts. We have been living together for years. It was just weird someone would say that to me!
  • Yeah, the "not receiving as many/as expensive gifts" thought is just gross.  I'm not necessarily saying you feel that way, OP.  I hope not.

But, if some of your friends/family are making negative comments about a Dec. wedding, maybe that is because they know it will be more difficult for them to attend?  As @KnottieJanel mentioned, that is something to keep in mind.  Definitely check with your VIPs on the date(s) you all are thinking of.  And it's possible you might have more declines, simply because of the time of year.  Especially if you have a lot of OOT guests.

Congrats on your engagement and good luck with your planning.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • She was here for like 5 minutes.
  • Yeesh. That was fast. 
  • I'm recently engaged and I would to do an early an December wedding and I have told a few people that idea and some say that they think it's a bad idea because it's the holiday season and I will not receive as many gifts. 
    What are your thoughts on this? Please help!
    I got married in December. No idea if it affected the number of gifts received, but I sure feel like people were very generous. Way more generous than I ever imagined! I also didn't go into my wedding thinking about what gifts I may or may not receive. 
  • Weird GBCK...

I won't even address the gifts thing because, dumb. But outside of that, I think turnout is lower for December weddings depending on your family and social circles. For example, we have family all over the country which makes November and December busy travel months for us. Unless a wedding is local, we opt not to go, generally. Nothing personal, but with a baby now, we just can't take back to back to back trips. It's like this for a lot of our family and friends - for whatever reason, everyone seems to be scattered geographically and trying to fulfill lots of obligations that time of year.
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm kinda sad, guys. I feel like we just lost a good one. She even said "I don't care about the gifts".

I know, why did she delete?

• geebee908 said:
    She was here for like 5 minutes.
    It's that time of year.

• I wasn't here for this, but I'm thinking MUD since it's so slow around here?

• Man, that was fast.  

For lurkers, check with your VIPs.  We had 165 people out of 234 attend and that was after last minute cancellations due to an ice storm, illness and a death.
  • That was super quick. I was coming to share my experience with a December wedding.

For future reference, DH and I got married on 12/27 because that's what worked best for my work schedule and DH's school schedule. We first checked with our parents, then WP, then close family. Then check venues. Sometimes they have increased pricing during holiday times but for us it was actually less because it was not "peak" wedding season. The reception venue was not pre-decorated for Christmas but the church was and that was something I just had to live with.

It worked out for us that a lot of our guests who lived OOT were in town for Christmas with their families and were able to attend the wedding when they may not have been able to otherwise. Our guest list was 275 and we had about 200 RSVP yes. 

As far as gifts, I agree that that's not what is important for your wedding. And while I have no other wedding of my own to compare it to, I felt our family and friends were very generous =

• emmaaa said:
    That was super quick. I was coming to share my experience with a December wedding.

For future reference, DH and I got married on 12/27 because that's what worked best for my work schedule and DH's school schedule. We first checked with our parents, then WP, then close family. Then check venues. Sometimes they have increased pricing during holiday times but for us it was actually less because it was not "peak" wedding season. The reception venue was not pre-decorated for Christmas but the church was and that was something I just had to live with.

It worked out for us that a lot of our guests who lived OOT were in town for Christmas with their families and were able to attend the wedding when they may not have been able to otherwise. Our guest list was 275 and we had about 200 RSVP yes. 

As far as gifts, I agree that that's not what is important for your wedding. And while I have no other wedding of my own to compare it to, I felt our family and friends were very generous =
    My sister's wedding date is 12/27 too! She lives in Canada, so everyone got the 26th off.  Her wedding was small anyway, and I think most of the guests were taking the week off for Christmas anyway.  I don't think she had any 'no shows' but she also only had 40 people.  It was a beautiful wedding.  

She also got gifts - but her wedding wasn't about that.  It was about getting family together. 

• I'm kinda sad, guys. I feel like we just lost a good one. She even said "I don't care about the gifts".

Maybe it's just me, but I think you're given the OP too much credit. Obviously she does care about gifts, or she wouldn't have worded her first post that way. She would have said something like, "Isn't that awful? We don't even care about the gifts." Rather than, "What are your thoughts on this? Please help!" It sounds like she deleted her profile when she didn't get the answers she was wanting.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So excited to see fellow December wedding people commenting! I got married 12/27 as well. It worked for my VIPs-- all of which made it. For lurkers, that's the most important consideration when it comes to a wedding date.

We definitely got gifts, way more than I would have thought, considering both our families are typically broke, and we knew around the holidays that people have more important things to consider than a wedding gift.

So, lurkers, just remember that if people want to give gifts, the date isn't going to matter. Those who give, will give anyway. Those who don't, won't anyway. The best thing to do is let that be the business of the guests.