Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding Website with Save the Dates?

Hello! 

I have a question that I have heard mixed thoughts on. We are getting ready to send out our Save the Dates and we didn't list our wedding website on it because there wasn't room, and I didn't think it was as important. Now I'm thinking that it would be good to include it because it's out of town for most people and I would like people to have some ideas of hotel, venue, read our story if they wish. So I was thinking to include it on a little slip of paper when I send them out. What are people's thoughts on this? Better to wait and include on invitation or do it early?

Re: Wedding Website with Save the Dates?

• Please, please, please, don't put it on your invitation.  I see nothing wrong with including a paper along with your STD.  I don't know if this is proper etiquette, but if I was an OOT guest I would appreciate all the info I could get early and in one place. Happy planning!
  • We had ours on the back and it turns out hardly anyone saw it! Our families ended up spreading the information to anyone who asked, so it was no big deal. My mom had initially suggested I send an email with the website on it but that seemed a little...weird....to me so I didn't do it, but that's an option for you as well.
  • If your registry info isn't on your wedding website, I think you can share it wherever you want.  Do you have a lot of OOT guests?  If so, they'd be better off having hotel block info 6-12 mos out than 4-8 weeks out (traditional STD vs traditional invitation timing).  That said, your guests are also capable of researching hotels in the area themselves- all the STD really needs is the date and city, state.

I didn't send STD's bc DH and I were engaged for less than 6 months, but I'm a sucker for those wedding website "how me met" and "meet the BP" and the photo album of the couple, so when I receive STD's, I really love having a website included :) 
  • eileenrob said:
    If your registry info isn't on your wedding website, I think you can share it wherever you want.  Do you have a lot of OOT guests?  If so, they'd be better off having hotel block info 6-12 mos out than 4-8 weeks out (traditional STD vs traditional invitation timing).  That said, your guests are also capable of researching hotels in the area themselves- all the STD really needs is the date and city, state.

I didn't send STD's bc DH and I were engaged for less than 6 months, but I'm a sucker for those wedding website "how me met" and "meet the BP" and the photo album of the couple, so when I receive STD's, I really love having a website included :) 
    Same here, but apparently we're in the minority. I've heard people say they check the visits on their wedding websites and it's in the single digits for a 150 person wedding.

I also like when the registry info is a tab on the website, it makes it so easy to get a shower gift.
  • I wouldn't put it -on- your invitation. If you want to include it with that, I would say have an extra little card. 90% of my wedding is OOT, so I did put it on my STD's. But I would probably include it first in the STD's, because I'm a planner, personally, and I like to have all my ducks in a row ahead of time. Especially if you're getting married on a busy weekend. 
  • I love when the wedding website is listed on the save the date! I vote definitely definitely do this if you have a website. I know the other stuff is fluff (pics, BP, etc.), but I also really enjoy it! I wouldn't worry a ton about registry info being listed there, since there's lots of other info, but that's just me. Etiquette traditionalists may disagree. 
  • Hello! 

I have a question that I have heard mixed thoughts on. We are getting ready to send out our Save the Dates and we didn't list our wedding website on it because there wasn't room, and I didn't think it was as important. Now I'm thinking that it would be good to include it because it's out of town for most people and I would like people to have some ideas of hotel, venue, read our story if they wish. So I was thinking to include it on a little slip of paper when I send them out. What are people's thoughts on this? Better to wait and include on invitation or do it early?

Do you have a lot of out of town guests? If so I'd try and include it on the STD or include an insert. Otherwise you might be fielding a lot of questions about hotel blocks, accommodations, etc. so it might be better to have all that info in the same place. We had quite a few OOT guests and many used the website for hotel info and directions. 
  • I would definitely include on the STDs if you have OOT guests. You can also put it on an accommodation card in your invitations.
  • Include it on/with your STD if you have OOT guests.

I definitely use it.
  • I would include it with your save-the-dates and on an insert with your invitations if not every guest will receive a save-the-date.
  • Y'all - she said she can't include it on STDs because there wasn't room and they're already ready to mail them. 

We put ours on our info insert that went out with our invitation. Personally, I find that helpful when I get an invitation. Usually I'll save the info insert and write down the time and address on that instead of saving the invitation. 

If you want people to have the wedding website prior to sending out invitations, just email it to people. You don't need some formal, grand announcement and, presumably, people who will want the website also have email. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Y'all - she said she can't include it on STDs because there wasn't room and they're already ready to mail them. 

We put ours on our info insert that went out with our invitation. Personally, I find that helpful when I get an invitation. Usually I'll save the info insert and write down the time and address on that instead of saving the invitation. 

If you want people to have the wedding website prior to sending out invitations, just email it to people. You don't need some formal, grand announcement and, presumably, people who will want the website also have email. 
    ^ I should clarify my statement then. OP said something about including the info alongside the STD, when I said include it, I was agreeing with that statement. I can't speak for everyone else though. 
  • TNDancerTNDancer member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2017
    I included our wedding website ona little business card in the same envelope. Vista print is always having sales for that stuff and you can get it quick.
  • Yah, unless the STD is postcard I would still recommend printing a small insert (can be regular copy paper) with the info. on it. 
  • Thank you all :) I think I will include it on a little slip of card stock or paper. Haven't got around to hotel blocks yet but I do plan on listing some nearby hotels for starters. I agree it's quite easy to book a hotel in advance. Most guests will be out of town so my thought was that maybe this will be helpful for them because I'm listing some things to do in the area as well. Cheers!