Budget Weddings Forum

Small ceremony venue on a budget!!

Hello!
My fiancé and I are getting married on a Saturday in June and have a very nice reception venue but we are not able to have our ceremony at the same location. We are looking for a relatively small and inexpensive ceremony venue for about 80 people in or around Dayton/Fairborn Ohio area. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated at this point!!

Re: Small ceremony venue on a budget!!

• Hello!
    My fiancé and I are getting married on a Saturday in June and have a very nice reception venue but we are not able to have our ceremony at the same location. We are looking for a relatively small and inexpensive ceremony venue for about 80 people in or around Dayton/Fairborn Ohio area. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated at this point!!

This is an international board so I would try posting this to your locals if they see any traffic as well.  I personally know nothing about venues in Ohio lol.  Also is there a specific reason you can't have the ceremony there?  Has a deposit been paid?

That said, I can give you some ideas on some places.  If you are religious and members of a church you can check there, a local park where you can rent a pavilion, museums, gardens, fire houses, moose/elk lodges, VFW Halls, hotel ballrooms or other "non-traditional" spaces. 

Just keep in mind that wherever you choose be sure that you are properly accounting for guest comfort.  That includes a seat for butt, a weather plan for temps outside 65-80 degrees, excessive winds and/or rain for outdoor venues, a reasonable amount of free (or comped by you) convenient parking, and a distance that is within 30 minutes or so drive time from your reception space.

• Why can't you have your ceremony there? Is it a space thing? What a lot of people do is to just seat guests at their reception tables for the ceremony itself. Then they use a space on the dance floor for the ceremony. After the ceremony, guests get "dismissed" to cocktail hour while you go take photos or whatever. 

Here are some examples of set ups like this:
    Image result for ceremony and reception in same room

If you're on a tight budget, I think finding a separate space for the ceremony will be much more expensive than you think and will complicate logistics.
    *********************************************************************************

• We cant have the ceremony at the reception location because there is not much room. That is an interesting idea though having guests sit at the reception table! Thank you guys for the input!!
  • I've seeen what @southernbelle0915 mentioned being done before, and it works very well.  Plus, less travel for the guests too!

• I also prefer to have the ceremony and reception at the same location, but if you're still looking around OP, try your local art gallery. I was surprised to hear our city art gallery is actually quite cheap to rent the space (you are kept in the main lobby area).