Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Boning question

Below I have included a link to my wedding dress.  I have had two alterations so far and I have a few more.  The dress is discontinued and is a size 12 while I am a size 2.  So, the dress lace fabric lays flat on my chest, and looks decent and fine but I do not fill out the Boning.  I have another alterations appointment in April and was wondering if boning alterations are typical or if they are rare?  Can they take the boning out of the chest altogether? I'd love the dress to just lay on my body.  It sticks out far from my body and while I can live with it and be really happy with it, I'd like to fill it out.  Adding cups made it so the fabric under the collar bone gaped.  

http://www.jasminebridal.com/product_detail.asp?hidP_kind=Bridal&hidP_style=COLLECTION&hidj_line_order=3&selIncSLength=02&hidP_Style_ID=F171059

Re: Boning question

• Options
    Both the boning and the cups are because you have a dress that is 10 sizes too big. What has the seamstress said at previous appointments about altering it so significantly? I agree with @lovesclimbing that you should ask the seamstress and that removing boning seems like a pretty big undertaking. 
  • Options
    What has the seamstress done in the first two appointments?  What is her thought on removing boning?  That's a really big alteration.  She will be your best source, because that is a lot of sizes to try and come in without compromising the look of the original dress (which is very pretty!).
  • Options
    What a gorgeous gown! I agree with PPs that you should check with your seamstress to get her thoughts. This is a very dramatic drop in size and I would be concerned with preserving the original design integrity of the dress. 
  • Options
    I have not asked about the boning yet and if it cannot be done I'll be okay with it because nobody can tell there is a gap between my chest and the boning, it just feels funky to me.  So I could live with it.  

Yeah, it's a huge alteration.  I guess I never thought of it as being a challenge because they never said it would be.  The first appointment was them pinning and the second was doing the length and figuring out the train and how to hook it to the dress.  At the second appointment, nothing had been done yet and in April those two things will be completed and if more needs to happen, then they will alter more.