Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Father Daughter Dance

Hello!  I'm in need of some assistance in choosing a father daughter dance song.  My problem is that I tend to like the more cliche songs with meaningful lyrics but my dad loves all Italian music.  I know it would mean a lot to him to have it be a song by Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin, but none of the ones I've found make all that much sense.  I liked "The Way You Look Tonight" by Frank, but my dad has bad knees and I was worried it was a bit too fast paced for him.  Any thoughts?  What did everyone else dance to?

Re: Father Daughter Dance

• I just let my father pick out the song we danced to.  I felt that it would be more meaningful to him if he had a say.  I would see what he wants to dance to.  FWIW my FMIL also chose the song that she and my DH danced to at the wedding...the only spotlight song I helped to pick out was the one I danced with my DH. 
  • We did something a little different - I danced with my dad while my H danced with his mom. We chose John Lennon's version of Stand By Me. 
  • So I kind of thought about it this way. I had a lot of visions I'd been thinking about for a long time for my wedding - how I wanted to look, the style of the wedding, that I wanted an outdoor ceremony, what song I wanted to walk down the aisle to, etc.

My dad is very much the "whatever you want" kind of guy but I know he probably had visions of his own for his dance with me. I just let him pick the song. If I had to rank it, it would have been about 1,000th on my list. But it meant a lot to him and that made our dance really special. 
    *********************************************************************************

• My FDD was actually Fly Me to the Moon.  I initially was a little hesitant, thinking the lyrics would be kind of weird, but when I was sharing that dance with my dad, the lyrics were the last thing on my mind.  A lot of people told us afterwards that they thought the song choice was lovely.  (They could have been lying, but the comments were unsolicited.)

FWIW, I asked for Dad's input, and that was the first song he suggested.  

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• What about the Tony Bennett version of The Way You Look Tonight? 
  • Frank and Dean both have quite the catalogue of songs. There must be something that is slower paced and speaks to you.

Frank Sinatra:
    - I Get a Kick Out of You
    - Pennies from Heaven
    - I've Got You Under My Skin
    - You Make Me Feel So Young
    - Fly Me to the Moon
    - I'll Be Seeing You
    - Embraceable You
    - Someone to Watch Over Me
    - It's For My Dad (Nancy Sinatra)

Dean Martin:
    - Daddy's Little Girl
    - Everybody Loves Somebody
    - That's Amore

Asking your dad for his opinion is a good idea too.

We also paired up the Father/Daughter dance with the Mother/Son dance.