Chit Chat

Intercultural marriage. beside English, do your children speak a second or third language?

thestaircasethestaircase member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited February 2017 in Chit Chat

Hi, I was wondering if you in an intercultural marriage, beside English does your children speak the native language of yours and your DH language?
To 'you', it is important that your children know their mom and dad native language? Or just English is enough (especially if live in the U.S)?

Do you mind share what languages do your children speak?--It is your native language or your DH native language? Or both?
If your trilingual (speak more than one native languages), how do you come to decission of which one to teach them?

Sorry, boring questions I guess, but if anyone can help answer my questions above I really appreciate it. Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Chinese/Vietnamese married to a Sierra Leonean.. My husband his homeland (Sierra Leone, West Africa) it a small country with 6 millions population. Children there when go to school English is the main language taught and spoken in school, they speak their native language at home.
My husband with his family he speaks his native Sierra Leoean language (the language that his ethnic group/tribe speak). This is the language he speaks with his mom, dad (deceased) and his older sister.
Yes, he knows English.

He bilingual, but I'm trilingual.. I'm fluent in speaking reading and writing Chinese, (Mandarin, Cantonese, and Shanghainese dialect because I'm native Shanghai born).
And Vietnamese (due to my mother side, my mom is Vietnamese).
English is my third language.

If you were me, beside English, what native language would you teach the baby?
English is the worldwide language, plus we live in the U.S so ofcourse English will be baby main language.
I guess the second language it be Mandarin?

-----------
A friend help gave me input she said that for the second language, chose a language that both mom and dad spoke in common. The thing is and my husband we don't have a common language (beside English).
I definately don't know his native Sierra Leoean language (the language that his ethnic group/tribe speak).
And he doesn't know (my languages) Mandarin, Cantonese, or Shanghainese dialect. Or Vietnamese.. Well, he does know a bit of Mandarin and Vietnamese from me lol, just a bit.

Seem like the baby will be trilingual if learn mom Mandarin, and dad native language.. To me it is very important that the baby know where their dad come from their dad culture and heritage. I just hope 3 languages isn't too much for a baby. 

Re: Intercultural marriage. beside English, do your children speak a second or third language?

• I'd pick Mandarin. It's the most useful second language of the bunch, and you'll have the easiest time finding classes in it to supplement learning at home. 
  • I'm not bilingual, neither is my H, but many of my friends are. They have said teaching a child works best when the languages are reinforced at home or in school. So if your child is at an English speaking school then using another language at home (or vice versa) or when parents make a dedicated effort to teach the language at home consistently if they are use it regularly in the home. 

How did you learn earn multiple languages? Maybe this will help you decide how to approach it with your child. 
  • My kid will be doing French Immersion in school. He will also have the option of taking Spanish, Italian, and German in Secondary School. I speak French and his father German. Canada is bilingual and jobs pay better if you can use both languages.
  • Research suggests that learning new/multiple languages at an early age creates new pathways in the brain that make it easier to learn new languages later on. So, I would agree with PPs and teach your child(ren) Mandarin. You could speak Mandarin only to them, and the father could speak English only. Once they're in school, they'll be speaking English there with teachers and friends, so the father could begin speaking his native language with them. Trilingual would be great, but it would be best done gradually. Keep in mind, that in higher grades in school, they will be required to learn another foreign language, and most school districts are limited, offering only French or Spanish. Your children would then be beyond trilingual!  

My uncle married a woman from Lithuania who was a translator and spoke 5 languages. Their two children speak both English and Lithuanian. They only speak Lithuanian to their mother, and English to their father. When they're a bit older, their mother might introduce another one of the languages she speaks, or she might just allow them to learn a foreign language at school. Two years of foreign language are required in high school anyway. Spanish is a useful language, so it would be great if they go with that. My SIL is a secondary Spanish teacher, and she plans on teaching her daughter Spanish by only talking to her in Spanish and my brother only talking to her in English. We'll see how that goes, because while the baby is only two months old, my SIL has not yet started. While my aunt from Lithuania even spoke her "baby talk" in her native language.

Your children will have a great advantage with the diverse background of you two as their parents!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KnotYetTiedKnotYetTied member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2017

Edit - Double post through site glitch.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I speak French to my nieces and nephews.  They also now attend French Immersion, but I've been doing that since they were born.  They'll learn English here easily, since they speak that at home and it's the predominant language.  

My nephew gets English from us/his Dad, Spanish from Grandma and Polish from his Mom.  He understands us all and uses the different languages interchangeably depending on what he wants and who is he with.  He's 3.

Please speak different languages to your child.  Doesn't matter which one, though PPs are right in that Mandarin will be the most useful out of all of them.  It's so much easier to learn as a child growing up rather than in school when you're older 

• I agree that I would try to speak all 3 languages with your future children.

Children pick up languages easily; all babies are born able to recognize the phonemes from every language, but this is slowly lost over time if they are not subjected to that language (by the age of 7). So your children could become fluent in any language if learned before the age of 7, where as as an adult it is much more difficult.

Both of DH's parents are immigrants. His mom is Greek and and his dad is Hungarian. They did not speak each others languages and spoke only English at home. While DH and SIL understand some spoken words of the language (such as if FIL is talking on the phone to his relatives in Hungary, they can pick up the gist of the conversation), neither of them is fluent in either language because their parents never spoke either to them. Unfortunate I think!
  • I agree with a focus on Mandarin for utility later in life. I just see that being more universally useful.

But no problem with teaching the basics in the other two - after all, you'll want the kids to be able to have basic conversation with their relatives. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I agree with PPs who suggest speaking either Mandarin or Vietnamese AND your husband's Sierra Leonean language with your child. I grew up mostly in the US speaking Swedish at home. My parents figured we would get plenty of English outside the house so we always spoke Swedish with each other. H is American and fine with me speaking Swedish with our future children.

I think the most important thing is discipline. It's easy let your child respond in English or switch to English entirely, but if you stick with always speaking and expecting responses in Mandarin or Vietnamese it'll be easy and natural for your child. 
  • I wish I had grown up surrounded by additional languages. My mother grew up speaking German, but when she and my uncle came to America, my grandmother wanted them both to learn English, so they were forbidden to speak German at home. I'm not sure whether it ever occurred to my mother to teach us German. 

I was briefly a nanny for an Indian family who spoke Telugu (a South Indian language), English, and some Hindi at home. The girls had no trouble with English.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    When I was a kid I learned a little Spanish and French along with Hebrew, but after a few years the lessons stopped In Hebrew. I took some Hebrew lessons again in college. I can pray in Hebrew and recognize the difference between it and Aramaic, but I can't go to Israel and have a conversation, unfortunately.

Also, from 4th to 10th grade I studied Spanish in school, but by 10th grade I really didn't enjoy it anymore thanks to some bad textbooks and a class scheduled for right after lunch when I couldn't concentrate on it well. So I understand some Spanish but not well enough to have a conversation with a native speaker. This was an issue today at my job because I had to use a translation program on a list of items that we need some clients who are native speakers to provide us, and my boss (who is a native speaker) needs the list to be edited. Tomorrow I'll have to figure out how to edit the list.

I agree with teaching them Mandarin, Vietnamese and Sierra Leonean (for your husband) if it's important that your children understand and speak these languages.