Wedding Party

Dj or no dj

So having reception at casual park pavilion. I found a dj for $300 however my fiancé says we don't need one bc people won't dane. I thought we need music and equipment to play it anyway. Plus the dj could be emcee. The pavilion we rented is small, but there is a space in front people could dance. Here's a picture of it. So dj or no DJ?

Re: Dj or no dj

• What time of day is the reception? Afternoon? How long have you planned it for- basically enough time to eat and mingle, or several hours?
    If it's shorter, I'd go with no DJ, but if you expect people to hang around awhile, a DJ would be nice to encourage dancing for those who want to.
    It's also "know your crowd." If your fiance thinks no one will dance, is he right? Are most people you know pretty chill?

There's really no right or wrong answer here. This is really up to your preference. You could also rent a few speakers and hook up an Ipod, but then, you need someone with the expertise to set up all that in the first place. 

• It's from 4-9. His family prob won't dance but my friends and family might. Do you think the space in front of pavilion will be enough room? 
  • For only $300, I would definitely book the DJ. You're going to need a sound system and microphone regardless - even if you play music from a phone. Once you look into how much that costs, plus delivery, set up and pick up...plus creating your own play lists, plus being your own emcee.... I think you'll find that this is money well spent. 

I'm having a hard time orienting myself in that pic you posted. Is the dancing space on top, like a roof top deck? Or is it that sloping hill/cement patio in the foreground? How many people are you inviting?
    *********************************************************************************

• It be on the cement patio. It's actually pretty flat there. I let my fiancé have final say on this park. Now I'm very hesitant about it but trying to make it work. The rooftop has seating. Inviting about 100. Hopefully I can make it look nice and it works. The reason he picked it is bc it has a gorgeous view of the skyline. 
  • It be on the cement patio. It's actually pretty flat there. I let my fiancé have final say on this park. Now I'm very hesitant about it but trying to make it work. The rooftop has seating. Inviting about 100. Hopefully I can make it look nice and it works. The reason he picked it is bc it has a gorgeous view of the skyline. 
    So if you're inviting 100 people and you only think a small portion of them will dance, your space seems fine. However, in general, you'll get a lot more people engaged if you don't separate the spaces. So if there's enough space on the rooftop patio, I would have seating and a small dance area all together up there. 

Depending on the time of year, it may be dark by 9:00. It's hard to tell from the pic, but do you have lights? I just see the one parking lot light. That'll definitely be a consideration whether you have a dance floor or not. But it'd be cheaper to only have to light one space vs. two. 

I'm sure you've already thought about this, but you have a rain plan right? It'll also be cheaper to cover one space than to cover two spaces, if needed.
    *********************************************************************************

• So having reception at casual park pavilion. I found a dj for $300 however my fiancé says we don't need one bc people won't dance. I thought we need music and equipment to play it anyway. Plus the dj could be emcee. The pavilion we rented is small, but there is a space in front people could dance. Here's a picture of it. So dj or no DJ?
    This is a know your crowd issue.

I don't care what time of day it is or whether or not I have alcohol. I will dance. Even if the DJ sucks or the Spotify playlist veers randomly from classic rock to Latin to EDM from song to song, I will dance.

For $300, I think it's definitely worth the investment, even if you just have a handful of guests like me.
  • Thanks guys!! I feel better and I'll get it!
  • We just used an Ipod for background music at my reception.  It worked just fine and no one needed to monitor it.  But it was a small, intimate affair with only 35 guests and there was no room to dance anyway.

With all that said, I do agree with the other PPs.  $300 is a great price to have someone else in charge of the music, acting as emcee, etc.  Especially since you think some of your crowd will want to dance, at some point.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For $300, hire the DJ and don't question!  $300 is well worth the time just to have the sound system available for announcements, toasts, etc. and not have to lift a finger yourselves picking up, renting, attending to, and returning a sound system (this from someone who owns a sound system for work) whether you have dance songs available or not.  
  • You could definitely create a playlist on your ipod and hook it up to some speakers- but you should price out the cost of renting speakers and a microphone.

$300 for a DJ is a great price!

• A DJ for $300 is a steal. Book him -- if your crowd would go for dancing.

• A DJ is nice because like you said, they can act as the MC introducing the bridal party, you & FI. Tell people to please take their seat for dinner, it's time for the first dance, it's time for the cake cutting. They will bring in the speakers and mic so people can not only hear him, but any toasts that will be made. Just make sure there is a way for him to get electricity for his set up. Even if there isn't dancing, having some nice light background music makes things more relaxing.