Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Having a meltdown about my ceremony.....

So here in Ohio there is a beautiful lake with a park with structures to rent. There are 3 separate structures, but we only wanted to use the one. (pavilion seating already there, and beautiful backdrop for the ceremony) Ok so when we set the date back october of last year. We had intended to use this structure, but because of construction they couldn't tell me if they could rent it or not. 

On their website today was this *DUE TO PHASE 2 OF THE CONSTRUCTION PROJECT AT COE LAKE - WE WILL ONLY RENT UP TILL JULY 10, 2017 - HOWEVER, THE PERGOLA WILL REMAIN OPEN ALL YEAR - PLEASE NOTE, YOU WILL NOT HAVE ACCESS THROUGH THE MAIN PATH - YOU WILL NEED TO USE THE PATH BEHIND THE PAVILION AREA*

I was devastated! To say the very least. Now I have emailed them to be sure that using that structure on 10/14 is out of the question or not. I have not heard back as of yet.  As i am researching other options. The other options present problems if it rains. This pavilion is covered and provides full coverage in case of rain, so I do not need a plan b.   

So i didn't have a contingency plan for this to happen. Which I know that is my own fault, and I am looking for other Gazebo's or structures near where my reception will be held. BTW its is across the lake from where we wanted to have the ceremony. 

I am freaking out and my FI tells me to be calm and it will all work out. But I am freaking out, because what is the point in having a wedding if i have no where to have the ceremony???? 

Please calm me down, because at this point i am ready to call the whole thing OFF!!! 

Re: Having a meltdown about my ceremony.....

• levioosa said:
    Jaime6166 said:
    So here in Ohio there is a beautiful lake with a park with structures to rent. There are 3 separate structures, but we only wanted to use the one. (pavilion seating already there, and beautiful backdrop for the ceremony) Ok so when we set the date back october of last year. We had intended to use this structure, but because of construction they couldn't tell me if they could rent it or not. 

On their website today was this *DUE TO PHASE 2 OF THE CONSTRUCTION PROJECT AT COE LAKE - WE WILL ONLY RENT UP TILL JULY 10, 2017 - HOWEVER, THE PERGOLA WILL REMAIN OPEN ALL YEAR - PLEASE NOTE, YOU WILL NOT HAVE ACCESS THROUGH THE MAIN PATH - YOU WILL NEED TO USE THE PATH BEHIND THE PAVILION AREA*

I was devastated! To say the very least. Now I have emailed them to be sure that using that structure on 10/14 is out of the question or not. I have not heard back as of yet.  As i am researching other options. The other options present problems if it rains. This pavilion is covered and provides full coverage in case of rain, so I do not need a plan b.   

So i didn't have a contingency plan for this to happen. Which I know that is my own fault, and I am looking for other Gazebo's or structures near where my reception will be held. BTW its is across the lake from where we wanted to have the ceremony. 

I am freaking out and my FI tells me to be calm and it will all work out. But I am freaking out, because what is the point in having a wedding if i have no where to have the ceremony???? 

Please calm me down, because at this point i am ready to call the whole thing OFF!!! 
    You need a margarita and to take a break from planning.  This is unfortunate, but it's not the end of the world.  "Worst" case scenario, you can just have the ceremony at the reception site.  
    This is true we could try to do that. But reception site is booked for 6 hrs only. If we did that we would have to see if we could have the hall for 8 hrs. Plus if we do not get married at 2pm our officiant is out, because of prior obligations. 

We are non denominational we do not belong to a church. If we did this wouldnt be a problem, but we dont so yea i am freaking out. Maybe a couple of shots would help. 
  • STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2017
    Jaime6166 said:
    levioosa said:
    Jaime6166 said:

You need a margarita and to take a break from planning.  This is unfortunate, but it's not the end of the world.  "Worst" case scenario, you can just have the ceremony at the reception site.  
    This is true we could try to do that. But reception site is booked for 6 hrs only. If we did that we would have to see if we could have the hall for 8 hrs. Plus if we do not get married at 2pm our officiant is out, because of prior obligations. 

We are non denominational we do not belong to a church. If we did this wouldnt be a problem, but we dont so yea i am freaking out. Maybe a couple of shots would help. 
    Or, have your ceremony within the 6 hours. Or, find another park, or add two hours to your rental.  Or, rent a different space entirely. You've known from day 1 this might happen. Calm down. You have plenty of time to find another solution and I'm sure it will be lovely!
  • Jaime6166 said:

So, I'm a little confused; the Pergola is just the structure where you would have the ceremony, not the pavilion you planned to use, right? Or can you still use the pavilion? I'm confused. 

But, what does your contract say? What structures are listed specifically? What aren't? If they are listed in the contract they may be free to make them available (or not). 

If the structure that you intended to use is not available, what would you like the venue to do about it? Would you like them to allow you to bring in a a tent? Would you like to get out of your contract? Think about what your ideal outcome is when they get back to you. 

To the bolded: are you seriously considering calling off your marriage because of a venue?!
  • Jaime6166 said:

So, I'm a little confused; the Pergola is just the structure where you would have the ceremony, not the pavilion you planned to use, right? Or can you still use the pavilion? I'm confused. 

But, what does your contract say? What structures are listed specifically? What aren't? If they are listed in the contract they may be free to make them available (or not). 

If the structure that you intended to use is not available, what would you like the venue to do about it? Would you like them to allow you to bring in a a tent? Would you like to get out of your contract? Think about what your ideal outcome is when they get back to you. 

To the bolded: are you seriously considering calling off your marriage because of a venue?!
     To the bolded: There is a pavilion, a gazebo, and a pergola. We planned to use the pavilion. Now they just provided the update stating that they will only rent those structures till july i am getting married in oct.  (pergola is out because it takes a muddy path to get there not an option)

We didn't have a contract or anything regarding this, because they wouldn't let any one rent the structures till they knew when phase 2 of construction would start and be done.  They just put that update on their site today.  

Well where am i going to get married if we do not have a space to do that at?? We do not belong to a church. FI checked with the hall cannot have it for more than 6 hrs. I am looking at other options but they do not allow for a contingency if it rains.  So i feel like it is hopeless. 
  • This particular website shows 236 ceremony sites for Berea, Ohio. Is it possible that one of those may work? I think you'll find someplace to have your ceremony.

http://www.weddingmapper.com/wedding_vendors/oh/berea/ceremony_venues/5?sort=reviewed_wedding_count&z=1

• Jaime6166 said:
    Jaime6166 said:

To the bolded: There is a pavilion, a gazebo, and a pergola. We planned to use the pavilion. Now they just provided the update stating that they will only rent those structures till july i am getting married in oct.  (pergola is out because it takes a muddy path to get there not an option)

We didn't have a contract or anything regarding this, because they wouldn't let any one rent the structures till they knew when phase 2 of construction would start and be done.  They just put that update on their site today.  

Well where am i going to get married if we do not have a space to do that at?? We do not belong to a church. FI checked with the hall cannot have it for more than 6 hrs. I am looking at other options but they do not allow for a contingency if it rains.  So i feel like it is hopeless. 
    So you didn't actually have a contract with this venue, it was just the one you planned to use? You wanted the pavilion and now that is no longer an option. That does suck. 

How many people are you inviting?

But now you're not tied down to them, and there are tons of places you can look in to. What about art/history/city museums or historical societies; public parks (are there any near lakes/rivers/pretty views); university/town/city libraries, community theaters, movie theaters, high school or college auditoriums; aquariums or botanical gardens, or zoos. 

Again, I think you're overreacting. Seriously considering calling off your marriage to the person you love because the venue you wanted fell through?! This seems excessive to me. All you really need to be married is an officiant and the two of you (and witnesses depending on the state). 
    115 is the total guest list plus the BP.  I realize that there are tons of places that we could go. But we are limited i am not trying to have a ceremony 2hrs or more away from our reception that would be too much. I would lose guests between the two. 

I am probably overreacting. I tend to do that alot.  Its not just the venue issue its trying to stay close the reception hall.  Keep the distance down between the ceremony and the reception.  As well a be close to where we were going to have the ceremony, so that we can go there and take pictures.  

We do have metro parks there are a couple other gazebos i am looking into. But with all of those i have to have a weather plan B. I can't even wrap my head around a plan A let alone a plan B if those don't work out too.  

It is just frustrating everything was coming together so beautifully until today. So yea i felt like it was hopeless. Can't get married without somewhere to have the ceremony is how i feel.   :(
  • geebee908 said:
    This particular website shows 236 ceremony sites for Berea, Ohio. Is it possible that one of those may work? I think you'll find someplace to have your ceremony.

http://www.weddingmapper.com/wedding_vendors/oh/berea/ceremony_venues/5?sort=reviewed_wedding_count&z=1

Yes they have plenty on there. The venue spot that i wanted came up 6 times just in the first 2 pages. Just saying. It sux having your heart set on something and stupid construction ripping it out. 
  • What's the average temperature for that time of year in Ohio? Isn't a little cold for an outdoor wedding? 

• Jaime6166Jaime6166 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2017
    What's the average temperature for that time of year in Ohio? Isn't a little cold for an outdoor wedding? 

That day in Ohio the lowest it has ever been over the last 10 yrs is 65
  • Jaime6166 said:
    What's the average temperature for that time of year in Ohio? Isn't a little cold for an outdoor wedding? 

Well, that's really easy to disprove. Last year on October 14th, the low was 38 degrees. Here's the link. 

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/Berea+OH+44017:4:US
  • Jaime6166 said:

Umm.. I live in Toledo and I'd beg to differ. I just googled Cleveland as well and the average Cleveland temp on 10/14 is 49, with highs around 65. Whatever, maybe the town is significantly different, but it might be real cold in October. It wasn't this year, but it has been in the past. 
  • Jaime6166 said:

Well, that's really easy to disprove. Last year on October 14th, the low was 38 degrees. Here's the link. 

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/Berea+OH+44017:4:US
    Yes the low at night.. I am getting married at 2 pm should be the warmest part of the day.  

I have lived here my whole life.  It doesn't get cold in October till like the 20th or something. Because my  old highschool Homecomings would fall on that same weekend. All of us girls all through high school  in strapless dresses taking pictures outside and everything.  IN October!!! 
  • Jaime6166 said:

Umm.. I live in Toledo and I'd beg to differ. I just googled Cleveland as well and the average Cleveland temp on 10/14 is 49, with highs around 65. Whatever, maybe the town is significantly different, but it might be real cold in October. It wasn't this year, but it has been in the past. 
    Jaime6166 said:

I mean during the day.  We did a historic workup before choosing the date. 
  • What does it matter any way at this point.  I will not have the space to have outdoors.  Because the structure that we chose was mostly closed in and has a fireplace that can be used if it was too cold. I thought that thru. 
  • Jaime6166 said:
    What does it matter any way at this point.  I will not have the space to have outdoors.  Because the structure that we chose was mostly closed in and has a fireplace that can be used if it was too cold. I thought that thru. 
    I just looked up the pavilion and it does not look closed in. Anyway, if it's never cold that time of year, why would you even consider the fireplace as an option? 

Listen, you have 8 months to find another space. Be happy you found out about it now. 

• Jaime6166 said:

OP, I strongly suggest you take this ceremony venue snafu as a sign that you need to move your ceremony indoors. These average temperatures are way  too chilly for an outdoor ceremony. You have eight months to sort this out. I planned my coastal wedding in the Boston area in just under five months, and my H and I did not have a church ceremony either. It's not difficult. Your easiest option would be to have your ceremony at your reception venue (your guests will LOVE you for this).
  • Jaime6166 said:

OP, I strongly suggest you take this ceremony venue snafu as a sign that you need to move your ceremony indoors. These average temperatures are way  too chilly for an outdoor ceremony. You have eight months to sort this out. I planned my coastal wedding in the Boston area in just under five months, and my H and I did not have a church ceremony either. It's not difficult. Your easiest option would be to have your ceremony at your reception venue (your guests will LOVE you for this).
    Cant use the Reception venue for the ceremony!!! We have already checked!! we have inquired about getting our deposit back non refundable. We are in for a penny in for a pound on this one. 

• Jaime6166 said:
    What does it matter any way at this point.  I will not have the space to have outdoors.  Because the structure that we chose was mostly closed in and has a fireplace that can be used if it was too cold. I thought that thru. 
    I just looked up the pavilion and it does not look closed in. Anyway, if it's never cold that time of year, why would you even consider the fireplace as an option? 

Listen, you have 8 months to find another space. Be happy you found out about it now. 

I was thinking if for some reason it is cold the fire place is an option to keep it warm. Plus if not its a beautiful backdrop to require very little decorating. Which is another plus because of our budget. 
  • Jaime6166 said:
    Jaime6166 said:

Cant use the Reception venue for the ceremony!!! We have already checked!! we have inquired about getting our deposit back non refundable. We are in for a penny in for a pound on this one. 

So you do have a deposit, but not a contract, am I understanding that right? 
  • Jaime6166 said:

Are you sure about that. Two years ago my son was in a wedding in Ohio  (west central - near Dayton) in early October. It was in the 40's, windy and raining. Yep outdoor ceremony. The WP was miserable as were the guests.
  • Jaime6166 said:
    Jaime6166 said:

You have the reception venue for 6 hours and you can't adjust your day's timeline 8 months out to accommodate a ceremony there? What does your reception timeline for those 6 hours include? Maybe we can help you adjust that to include your ceremony.
  • Jaime6166 said:
    Jaime6166 said:

So you do have a deposit, but not a contract, am I understanding that right? 
    we have a deposit and a contract for the RECEPTION VENUE. Period that is all that we had set in stone besides everything else. So we have already checked we are not able to use it for both. 
  • geebee908 said:
    Jaime6166 said:
    Jaime6166 said:

You have the reception venue for 6 hours and you can't adjust your day's timeline 8 months out to accommodate a ceremony there? What does your reception timeline for those 6 hours include? Maybe we can help you adjust that to include your ceremony.
    I appreciate it i really do.  But we wouldn't be able to use our officiant. For one that is why the ceremony is at 2. cocktail hr from 4-5 we arrive 5ish first dance then dinner etc. But we have checked with the venue we wouldn't be able to ahve the ceremony there before hand like that. 
  • Jaime6166 said:
    geebee908 said:
    Jaime6166 said:
    Jaime6166 said:

I appreciate it i really do.  But we wouldn't be able to use our officiant. For one that is why the ceremony is at 2. cocktail hr from 4-5 we arrive 5ish first dance then dinner etc. But we have checked with the venue we wouldn't be able to ahve the ceremony there before hand like that. 
    Then you have the problem of a gap because your ceremony isn't going to take 2 hours. What are your guests supposed to do between the end of the ceremony and 4pm? It sounds like it would be easier to find a new officiant and use your reception venue for the ceremony to eliminate the gap and venue problems.
  • You really shouldn't be having a gap like that between your ceremony and reception. You may need to find a new officiant as well as a new ceremony venue. 
    every wedding for my family and friends never went straight to the reception not at all. So i am not sure why this is a problem. If our ceremony time goes correctly it is only hr 15 mins between the two. its not like i am getting married at 6am and reception is at 6 pm then i see that as a gap.