Attire & Accessories Forum

If my bridesmaids match, do the groomsmen need to match as well?

I already got my 2 bridesmaids matching dresses,  but my Fiance has 4 groomsmen and we've been thinking about not having them exactly match,  just going with our Victorian theme,  to save them money.  
Would matching bridesmaids next to mismatched groomsmen even look good? 

Re: If my bridesmaids match, do the groomsmen need to match as well?

• I already got my 2 bridesmaids matching dresses,  but my Fiance has 4 groomsmen and we've been thinking about not having them exactly match,  just going with our Victorian theme,  to save them money.  
    Would matching bridesmaids next to mismatched groomsmen even look good? 
    I have not a clue, but my guess is if anyone doesn't look good, it'll be because they're wearing clothes they're not comfortable in. Victorians didn't tend to match one another, so there's that.

I doubt it'll make a difference at all. What are you thinking of asking the GMs to buy? Is it something they might ever wear again? Where will they find it in varying price ranges?
  • No, they don't need to match.

Stick with neutral colours for the main outfit and you can tie it all together with a pop of one of your wedding colours for the tie/bow tie/pocket square or boutonniere.
  • Many times the mismatched thing only applies to bridesmaids while the groomsmen all look the same, I don't see why the opposite can't look just as nice? I agree with PP, stick with a neutral color or give them some guidelines and use something to tie it all together. 
  • We are doing mismatched colors. Bridesmaids one color, groomsmen with a different but complimentary color. 

Go for it!
  • We used matching Ties/Bouts to make the GM consistent but there were at least 4 different shades of grey. I would agree with the PPs to keep the colors within a family but they don't have to match perfectly.