Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Secrets Akumal Honeymoon?

Hello all! My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon 8/14/17- 8/21/17 and are looking at Secrets Akumal Riveria Maya resort. Has anyone been? I know it is a fairly new resort, I think it opened November 2015. I would love to hear about anyone's experience here or other suggestions! We are looking for a relaxing, romantic honeymoon where we can mostly lounge by the pool/beach. A nice beach, pool and fairly nice rooms are important to us. Thank you for your help! 

Re: Secrets Akumal Honeymoon?

• Options
    I haven't been to that particular resort, but I am very familiar with the Secrets brand from my days in the travel industry.  I would wholeheartedly recommend Secrets for anyone seeking a mid-upscale adults-only all-inclusive resort.  In my opinion, they are particularly successful at striking a balance between cultivating a festive atmosphere without tipping over into "college bar" territory.  
  • Options
    sames52915sames52915 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2017
    I haven't been to Akumal, but I have been to Secrets Maroma Beach twice. SMB is absolutely amazing and I would highly recommend it. A couple we met there on our honeymoon have been to a few of the Secrets Resorts and just visited Akumal last summer. I didn't get exact details, but they said it wasn't their favorite. I don't think they had many complaints, just that the others were better. From what I have heard & the pictures it looks like it is a little bigger than the others, but it does look gorgeous!  If you're interested in any of the other Secrets I cant say enough amazing things about Maroma Beach. The staff is incredible, the place is absolutely beautiful & the food is amazing. Its not too small, but not overly large which I loved. And its definitely more relaxing than party atmosphere, which makes it a bit more romantic. Also, with any of the Secrets resorts check out their honeymoon packages- nice extras while you're there & you can also get free anniversary nights if you go back. We were able to get 2 free nights when we went back our first anniversary :)  Good Luck!
  • Options
    Thank you both so much! :)
  • Options
    Hi! So I'm booking my honeymoon right now through a AAA agent and she said all the Secrets resorts have a great reputation... This isn't one of the ones she recommended for us, but I will say that in looking at Mexico resorts I was reading up on the tainted alcohol situation and this resort that you're looking at was listed on one of the articles I read--I'm pretty sure (double check me in case I'm wrong)... I'm sure since then, they have kind of cleaned up their act, but you might want to look into that. Sorry to share kind of bad news--just do a little research about that!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards