DIY Wedding Forum

DIY Invitations

I've been working on designing my own invitations with Adobe Illustrator, and pretty soon I'll have to get them printed. So right now I guess I'm just looking for some final critiques and feedback. I've ordered some sample prints to check how the colors come out, because I don't really trust my laptop screen, but my colors are white, a light sage-ish green, and beige. 

Also, I've been looking at the paperandmore.com site for printing- has anyone used it before? They have a pearlescent paper that I'm thinking of using. 

Re: DIY Invitations

• I came back to this post to say the same thing. I was squinting hard to read the color of the font + font combo and I am wearing my glasses which are current..... I think that would translate the same on printed paper. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    I agree, that light green font is hard to read. Get a sample first for sure, but you might need a couple shades darker.

The use of "request the honor of your presence..." is only used for religious ceremonies. If you are not getting married at a church/house of worship, you would use "request the pleasure of your company...". If you are, then ignore me ;).

Otherwise, the invite looks lovely.

I have not used the printing company you have listed. The biggest thing is to get a sample of anything first. We did however design our own programs and get them printed at Staples, so I would think you can't go wrong with a reliable printing company (again, get the sample).
  • I agree about the font if the sample is as light as the digital text. I suggest a darker color or thicker or bold letters.

If you're interested in feedback about your wording, I would delete the "and" from "Two thousand seventeen".

Traditionally, wedding invitations use passive voice if the couple is hosting and active voice if family members (or the couple and their family members) are hosting. "The honor of your presence is requested/The pleasure of your company is requested..." or "Mr. Groomsdad and Ms. Groomsmom request the honor of your presence/pleasure of your company..." or "Together with their families, Bride and Groom request..."
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse

• I agree about the font if the sample is as light as the digital text. I suggest a darker color or thicker or bold letters.

If you're interested in feedback about your wording, I would delete the "and" from "Two thousand seventeen".

Traditionally, wedding invitations use passive voice if the couple is hosting and active voice if family members (or the couple and their family members) are hosting. "The honor of your presence is requested/The pleasure of your company is requested..." or "Mr. Groomsdad and Ms. Groomsmom request the honor of your presence/pleasure of your company..." or "Together with their families, Bride and Groom request..."
    I thought that I had read that the host line depends on who's paying for the wedding. So it was like, if we're just paying for it ourselves, we only need to list our names as the hosts?

I thought that I had read that the host line depends on who's paying for the wedding. So it was like, if we're just paying for it ourselves, we only need to list our names as the hosts?
    Hosting has nothing to do with who is paying, it would be who is actually hosting the wedding- meaning who is collecting RSVPs, greeting guests, etc. 
  • I think the design looks really nice. I agree with everyone else who said that color is really hard to read. I suggest a darker green or some other dark shade. I think the font itself is fine as long as it's several shades darker. 
  • @justsie is correct about the definition of hosting.

If you are hosting ( a nonreligious wedding) without your families, the traditional wording would be "The pleasure of your company is requested at the wedding of Name and Name ..." because the bride and groom don't directly invite guests to their own wedding.
  • @CMGragain is the invitation wording expert.
  • These are really pretty.  I agree that the green is a little tough to read but that might just be how it shows up digitally.  I think getting samples done would be a good idea to make sure it comes out legible. 

As for all the wording we paid for the majority of the wedding and we were the ones who did all the legwork so they just said our names.
  • It is a faux pas to directly invite people to your own wedding.  Modern wording is fine, but it shouldn't break important etiquette rules.  As the bride and groom, you are the ones who are being honored.  You do not invite people to an event to honor yourself.
    If the ceremony in NOT being held in a church, your wording is also incorrect!  "Honor of your presence" is only used for church weddings.  This is a very important rule, and many people will notice this.
    No zip codes on invitations!

Here is alternative wording that is polite (non-church ceremony):

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of

Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name

Sunday, the date of Month
    two thousand seventeen
    at two o'clock

Venue Name
    123 Maple Street
    Anytown, Iowa

Reception to foll9ow

If the ceremony is being held in a church, this is the proper wording:

The honour of your presence is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    (etc.)

I'm so glad you posted this before printing.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Ladies, I feel bad that I missed the post earlier.  I am not always around.  If you see a post like this one and I do not respond to help the OP, please PM me and let me know that I can help someone.  Thanks!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Design are nice with font but yes font color is too light to difficult to see. So i think some dark shade is best.

• Design are nice with font but yes font color is too light to difficult to see. So i think some dark shade is best.
    Please check the date of the last post prior to commenting.  The original poster started this thread close to a year ago.  This is considered a dead/zombie thread.