Registry and Gift Forum

Parents Gift Ideas?

I'm curious to see what all gift ideas you all have for parents gifts? I was planning on me and my fiancé each writing heart-felt letters to my parents and his parents. I think we should each write a separate letter to each person..so I'd write 4 letters (my mom, my dad, his mom, his dad) and he'd write 4 letters. I think this will be really sweet and will mean a lot to all of them. 

Apart from the letters, I don't know what else to get them? We do not have a large budget for these gifts (about $50 total), so I really need them to be meaningful and thoughtful. I know my parents wouldn't even expect a gift and definitely don't want me to spend much money on them. What ideas do you all have? 

Thanks! 

Re: Parents Gift Ideas?

• I always think a photo from your wedding day is a lovely idea if the parents display photos. If they don't display photos, a small wedding picture album. Shutterfly has regularly been running coupons for albums. The albums could be specific to the parent sets so that they would include their side of the family, friends along with pictures of you and your H.
  • We gave albums that I made on Shutterfly (yes- SF often has sales!). Each album was slightly different.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    Pictures always work for me!  A box of See's Chocolate Truffles isn't bad, either.  My best gift from DD was a hug and a heartfelt, "Thank you, Mom, it was perfect!"
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • MobKaz said:
    I'm curious to see what all gift ideas you all have for parents gifts? I was planning on me and my fiancé each writing heart-felt letters to my parents and his parents. I think we should each write a separate letter to each person..so I'd write 4 letters (my mom, my dad, his mom, his dad) and he'd write 4 letters. I think this will be really sweet and will mean a lot to all of them. 

Apart from the letters, I don't know what else to get them? We do not have a large budget for these gifts (about $50 total), so I really need them to be meaningful and thoughtful. I know my parents wouldn't even expect a gift and definitely don't want me to spend much money on them. What ideas do you all have? 

Thanks! 
    How well do each of you know your respective in laws?  It seems a little awkward for you to write to his parents and vice versa.  I was thrilled to receive a joint card from my DD and SIL, as well as from my DS and DIL. 

I personally preferred my kids not spend money to show their gratitude/appreciation (we gifted them their weddings).  DD framed a few family photos from the wedding and presented them to my husband and I.  DS and DIL had small photo albums made for both sets of parents.

If you live nearby, you could also offer to host a dinner for them, either separately or jointly.  A big bowl of pasta, salad, and bread could be an inexpensive but delightful way to show your appreciation!  I love the gift of time with family!
    We know each other's parents very well, as we have been together for 5 years and are both really close with our families. I thought about wedding pictures, but I would rather give them something before the wedding and not have to wait months to get my photos back from the photographer. I think they would still like a framed photo of all of us together in the past but I still thought I'd need something else. 
  • I like the chocolates idea! 
  • I would do a nice picture frame with a picture of you and FI, or you, FI and them in it and include a note of thanks, then when wedding pictures were finished I would select one with you, FI and them in it and replace the other photo in the frame. 
  • We did drinking vessels for our parents that were etched with a really awesome wedding logo, our names, and the date.  We got them from a local dealer for $50 which was a steal because they are awesome.  My mother got a wine glass, my father got a beer mug, and his parents got coffee mugs.  We also wrote each of them a thank you cards to go with the gifts.
  • justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

**Removed Quote for ToS violation**

I'm calling vendor. 
  • I've never heard of gifts for the parents? Have I been in a cave? I'm going to poll my married friends to see if they did this? Since I obviously know nothing about this, is there anyone else we buy a gift for besides the WP?
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017

I've never heard of gifts for the parents? Have I been in a cave? I'm going to poll my married friends to see if they did this? Since I obviously know nothing about this, is there anyone else we buy a gift for besides the WP?

Nope!  I agree with you!  It is not necessary to give gifts to anyone except the wedding party.  It does seem to be a trend for couples to do this, but it is not a requirement.  My daughter gave me a big hug and a box of chocolates!  I never turn down chocolate!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• I've never heard of gifts for the parents? Have I been in a cave? I'm going to poll my married friends to see if they did this? Since I obviously know nothing about this, is there anyone else we buy a gift for besides the WP?

We didn't give gifts to our parents either. I did give my mother and MIL both a small gifts at the shower but we didn't do parent gifts for the wedding.