DIY Wedding Forum

DIY veil, go simple or different?

Oh man finally time for the projects. I bought the illusion tulle material for my veil. I definitely want it to hit past floor length. I love the sonnet veil on BHLDN 
I'm already an artist and I know how to use gold leaf so I think I can replicate the concept (but still make it unique) because I can notttt afford a $625 veil (damn). I've been incorporating subtle painterly things into the wedding (watercolored our ceremony site onto direction cards, will watercolor programs, etc), so this sort of veil might bring something kinda personal but not make it into some weird theme and overdo it. I'm just pretty terrible at matching accessories together so I want to ask strangers of course, I know friends would just say it's a good idea when it's not lol.
This is my dress which is a little more gold in person, I didn't use the official sottero&midgely photo because it's misleading, so I found some random lady: 

Would these these two work well together? Or should I go with a simple drop veil with nothing on it? I'm also wearing a small leaf crown with minimal jewelry.

All opinions welcome before I get to painting! Thanks :p

and if anyone has some tulle advice and knowledge drop them here too!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DIY veil, go simple or different?

• edited October 2016
    The sonnet veil and your dress will look gorgeous together! I really like the gold. Post pics!
  • The sonnet veil and your dress will look gorgeous together! I really like the gold. Post pics!
    Thanks! I will :D 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Keep it simple!  It'll still look fantastic together - Also, knowing how much the gold leaf is going to add up to in a hurry, and knowing it'll easily brush off, I wouldn't go that route...
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2016
    MesmrEwe said:
    Keep it simple!  It'll still look fantastic together - Also, knowing how much the gold leaf is going to add up to in a hurry, and knowing it'll easily brush off, I wouldn't go that route...
    True about the flaking. I'm actually getting the gold leaf for free though (My dad does art/furniture restoration so he's giving me the extra he has, and he has alottttt). I'll try some test pieces with the sample tulle I have first and see how it works before doing it on the actual veil.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MCmeow said:
    MesmrEwe said:
    Keep it simple!  It'll still look fantastic together - Also, knowing how much the gold leaf is going to add up to in a hurry, and knowing it'll easily brush off, I wouldn't go that route...
    True about the flaking. I'm actually getting the gold leaf for free though (My dad does art/furniture restoration so he's giving me the extra he has, and he has alottttt). I'll try some test pieces with the sample tulle I have first and see how it works before doing it on the actual veil.

I'd love to see pics of your sample.  I suspect that will come out really pretty.

I hear you on veil cost.  I tried one on at David's Bridal and LOVED that it had rhinestones dotted throughout it.  $250 veil.  Hell no.  But gave me the idea ;).  Found a brand new one that looked exactly the same from an Ebay seller for $12, including shipping.  Cha-ching.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • geebee908 said:
    Gorgeous!
    Thanks!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Beautiful!
    Thank you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So, what was your cost for the project and what kind of time commitment was it? I'm curious about the cost to buy this retail vs. what you put into it in materials, time, and talent (fair wage?).
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2017
    geebee908 said:
    So, what was your cost for the project and what kind of time commitment was it? I'm curious about the cost to buy this retail vs. what you put into it in materials, time, and talent (fair wage?).
    The tulle and comb materials were <$20 on etsy. The acrylic was a bottle I already had for a few years, probably $5. The gold leaf and oil was gifted by my dad, he does restoration and gets it cheaper than most places and I didn't use too much of the oil so I'll give it back to him, but I don't know for how much, I estimate in a store they would cost $50+. In total the project cost me about $25. The trials took about 2 hours I think, I was testing the pattern and such. The actual creation of the veil pre-painting took me 2-3 hours (measuring, cutting and sewing). The painting process took me half a day. Maybe 6-7 hours total? I spent all Presidents' Day doing it while my fiancé was at work :p 

Store bought: $650
    Cost for me: $25
    Time: 12 hours with trials.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Looks beautiful!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards