Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Band for reception but looking for ideas for cocktail hour dinner music

We are thinking about having a band play for the reception. They play for three hours. We are trying to decide what to do about music for the ceremony and the cocktail hour/dinner. What have you done or seen done at weddings with live bands?

Re: Band for reception but looking for ideas for cocktail hour dinner music

• We have a DJ during the reception, but we'll have a piano soloist throughout our cocktail hour. Would something like that work?
  • A soloist or even piped in music would be fine.
  • Thanks for the ideas so far! Another issue we have to consider is that are venue is outside at a winery and they don't have a sound system. Not sure if bands setting up early would let us just play music or if soloist would have their own equipment. Looking for ideas on what other people have done for that.

• I went to a wedding at a winery that had a band for the reception but an acoustic guitarist for the cocktail hour (which was outside). He just had like 1 speaker and was AWESOME. He also happened to be really cute, so a lot of the ladies at the wedding were big fans. It was totally something at that particular wedding that got remembered as a "pro".

My BF plays guitar for fun/a hobby and he has an amp similar to the one this guitarist used, they're not terribly expensive and with a few extension cords I dont think it would be too crazy equipment wise.

Disclaimer: I haven't done this, just a suggestion
  • I went to a wedding at a winery that had a band for the reception but an acoustic guitarist for the cocktail hour (which was outside). He just had like 1 speaker and was AWESOME. He also happened to be really cute, so a lot of the ladies at the wedding were big fans. It was totally something at that particular wedding that got remembered as a "pro".

My BF plays guitar for fun/a hobby and he has an amp similar to the one this guitarist used, they're not terribly expensive and with a few extension cords I dont think it would be too crazy equipment wise.

Disclaimer: I haven't done this, just a suggestion

do you remember if they had a microphone and speaker for the ceremony?