Wedding Party

"Kits" for the kids in our party....

So we have four kids in our wedding. 

Two girls 10 yrs and 3 yrs
And two boys 9 yrs and 6 yrs

I want to make each one a little kit so they will have something to keep them entertained during the rehearsal stuff and the wedding day.

So any ideas would be awesome. Especially for the two older kids. 

The 9yrs is my train bearer and the 10yr old is gonna be our junior bridesmaid, and neither is a common role so I think they don't feel very excited about their roles in the wedding. 

The 3yr old is our flower girl and the 6yr old is our ring bearer.

Any thoughts or ideas would be awesome!

Re: "Kits" for the kids in our party....

• I don't know what you could get the older kids to keep them busy. DD bought coloring books and crayons for her FG (and younger brother) to have at the reception. For the ring bearer who was a couple of years older, she bought puzzle and word search books along with pre-sharpened pencils (recommended by the parent).
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    The 9 and 10 yr olds will probably have tablets or whatever they're calling Nintendo gameboy's these days- at least that's what the kids of DH's side of the family always seem to have every time I see them- and they're all around that age.  If not those, they're old enough to entertain themselves.

Maybe a coloring/activity book for the 6-year-old?  And my almost 3-yr-old DD loves bubbles and little board books (anything by Dr. Suess, Mo Willems, etc.)
  • So we have four kids in our wedding. 

Two girls 10 yrs and 3 yrs
    And two boys 9 yrs and 6 yrs

I want to make each one a little kit so they will have something to keep them entertained during the rehearsal stuff and the wedding day.

So any ideas would be awesome. Especially for the two older kids. 

The 9yrs is my train bearer and the 10yr old is gonna be our junior bridesmaid, and neither is a common role so I think they don't feel very excited about their roles in the wedding. 

The 3yr old is our flower girl and the 6yr old is our ring bearer.

Any thoughts or ideas would be awesome!
    I'm going to guess they aren't excited, because these aren't really roles in the wedding. I'm not even sure what a "train bearer" is. Why didn't you just have the 10 year be a bridesmaid? She's probably feeling "less than" the other bridesmaids because that's effectively what you've made her. Even kids know what you're making things up and that they're not really included. 

That said, shop for them like you would for any other holiday or birthday. At 9 or 10 kids don't really need to be "kept entertained", but you should get them a gift for being in your wedding. I would think the 3 and 6 year olds would need more "stuff" to keep them entertained than the older ones. 
  • edited March 2017
    Wow.... ok, sorry I asked on this forum, apparently this is not a very friendly community. This is the second time I was met with exremely rude people when I asked for help and ideas, kinda see why so many people use Pinterest!

To quote Brides.com - 

Oftentimes if you have a loved one who falls between the ages of eight and 14 (or, in your mind, is too old to be a flower girl and too young to be a bridesmaid), you can honor her by including her in the bridal party as a junior bridesmaid. Of course, if your girl is 13, for example, she likely won't be planning — or partaking — in common bridal party functions such as the bachelorette (unless, of course, you keep it PG). Filling this role is completely up to you, and is often used when you have a much younger sibling, cousin, or niece that you're close to. A junior bridesmaid's sole responsibility is to walk in the processional alongside the rest of your bridesmaids. She should wear a dress that falls within your bridal party's perimeters, but it is, often a lot more modest and young-looking than the other bridesmaids's gowns (designers like Watters make special junior bridesmaid looks for this exact purpose). If you want she can also stand in the receiving line but that's completely up to you. She should be included in the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner, and may be included in the pre-wedding bridal shower if you wish.

So THAT'S junior bridesmaid.

To quote confetti.uk -

Train bearers usually come in pairs; they carry and arrange the bride’s dress train. This was far more common years ago when the bride’s dress was long, but with the changing fashion there has been little need for them.

So THAT'S a train bearer. 

Now I will admit we are being a little unconventional useing just the one, but with my wedding dress so long (5ft) we thought it would be a lovely role. 

My fiancé and I sat down with them both tonight, and explained their roles and how important they are, and this seemed to cheer them both up. Our junior bridesmaid is looking forward to getting to be with the ladies and be the first one out. She is also trilled that her mama said she could help with you be of the bridal showers. Our train bear likes that he has a big kid role and made me practice with him two or three times.  

Neither of these are made-up terms. If You weren't going to be helpful at LEAST educate yourself before you choose to be rude. Otherwise you look ignorant as well as unhelpful and hateful. As far as how we feel about them, let me simply say speak not what you know not of.

To the other two ladies thank you, you both gave me some great ideas for the two little ones.
  • OP, sometimes the tone you read over the internet sounds harsh but people on these boards really want to be helpful. They are often blunt. When I first started here I thought some of the responses were harsh but you just need to lurk awhile to know people mean well. 

I have heard of junior bridesmaid (I had one many years ago when I think it was more acceptable) but had never heard of a train bearer except for royal wedding/movies. I'm glad you had a talk with the kids about their roles and that they seem excited. I do think it would be fine for you to just refer to the young girl as a bridesmaid. 

Stick around and get to know the tone of the boards and the individual posters.
  • Wow.... ok, sorry I asked on this forum, apparently this is not a very friendly community. This is the second time I was met with exremely rude people when I asked for help and ideas, kinda see why so many people use Pinterest!

It can really suck when people are mean to you when you are just looking for guidance.  I just went back to your old post about chair covers, which I'm assuming is where you met the other rude people. . . . . . . . . If you consider anything said there or here to be rude, I feel sorry for your ability to interact in real world setting.  Everyone has seemingly been beyond helpful!  Am I missing something?
  • Coloring books - although I agree with others that the parents will manage their kids entertainment.

I don't really care about jr. bms or train bearers. I understand the "what for?" sentiment, but if a 10 year old has a "jr" title, I'm not getting my panties in a bunch about it. Just me though. I also give little to no fucks about the idea of a train bearer. Whatever.

But I also think it's dumb to get butthurt over a disagreement on roles over the interwebz. I mean, if you don't want anyone to disagree with you, why not just google "things to keep a 10 year old entertained" and "things to keep a 3 year old entertained for more than 90 seconds"? 
    *********************************************************************************

• lnixon8 said:
    Having a 9 year old boy in charge of making sure your dress looks good seems super counter intuitive.
    LOL this. I was MOH in a friend's wedding who had a 6 or 7 foot train and I had trouble keeping that sucker looking good while she was standing up there! It seems a boy that age would prefer to be an actual GM or just attend like a regular person. Ditto the 10 year old girl.