Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Choosing to not have wedding band bad idea?

I have a e ring that, at this point, seems impossible to find a band that could fit well with any band thats not custom made. The curves are not symmetrical. Could I just forgo getting a band and use my e ring instead? We're on a tighter budget at the moment and if I went with a custom ring I feel like that would have to be filled with diamonds to match the ring instead of just a simple white gold band that fits. I'm at odds with myself.

Re: Choosing to not have wedding band bad idea?

• I hand a similar issue.  While I have a wedding band, I wear it on my right hand and only my e-ring on my left hand.   Sometime when I don't want to wear my e-ring, I just move the band over to my left hand. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Very pretty. Rings do not have to be exchanged. A white gold plain ring could be created to match the curves if you really wanted something. 
  • I have the same problem. There is zero hope of getting a band to go with my e-ring, which I am fine with. I plan to wear my wedding band on my left and e-ring on my right. However you definitely don't need a band if you don't want to. Just use your e-ring. No biggie!
  • Just use your engagement band during the ring ceremony.  It looks fine!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Beautiful ring! You definitely don't have to have a wedding band and could just exchange your engagement ring during the ceremony. If down the road you wanted a band, you can always add it later for an anniversary (or any reason)

• Agree with PPs, no need to get another ring if you don't/can't. Just exchange rings with your e-ring and use that as your wedding ring once you are married- or buy something to wear on another finger/hand like someone else suggested. 
  • edited March 2017
    A very good friend of mine has an engagement ring similar to this:

It also serves as her wedding band. If you do not want to get another ring, you definitely do not have to. As PPs have suggested, just exchange rings using your e-ring.

Edited because I said OPs but I meant PPs.
  • I agree with PPs that you don't have to get a wedding band. My grandmother didn't have any ring for a ling time and then decided several decades after getting married that she wanted a ring but just got a simple band. If you want to get a wedding band I think a simple white gold band that fit the curves would be beautiful. You don't have to add diamonds to it to make it match. 
  • I have the domed version of the ring @sparklepants41 posted. I got it cleaned a week before the wedding and didn't put it back on until the ceremony when we exchanged rings. 

Beautiful ring too, BTW!
  • edited March 2017
    lyndausvi said:
    I hand a similar issue.  While I have a wedding band, I wear it on my right hand and only my e-ring on my left hand.   Sometime when I don't want to wear my e-ring, I just move the band over to my left hand. 
    So you could also do the opposite which lots of people do and wear their e-ring on the right and wedding band on the left. There's also the option of not always wearing your e-ring. But if you're on a budget why not wait to solve this down the track when money isn't as big of an issue? no one is going to think it's strange if you don't have a wedding band.

EDT: saw a spelling mistake as a pressed send!! you'r!!!
  • I have an aunt who doesn't wear a band b/c she couldn't find one that would go with or fit the engagement ring. I say just leave it w/o one. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Your ring is stunning. I think it looks great just like that. If you really want to get a band get an inexpensive one to wear on the right hand like some others said.