Illinois-Chicago

Salvage One - Advice

Hi:

I was wondering, since S1 is a popular venue, if anyone has any advice in terms of planning?  We booked a date - April - but I'm planning it from out of town and don't really know where to begin and don't know anyone else that has gotten married there.

Specifically - 
1. who did you use as a caterer?  were you able to negotiate the budget down at all?  Is it practical in the space to try to have trays for appetizers out instead of servers during cocktail hour or is it too cluttered with the antiques?

2. who did you use to cleanup decorations or BYOB alcohol at the end of the night?  I noticed it has to be something like 'swept' in the contract.

3.  where did you book a hotel block?

4.  did you have an informal after party at a bar? which one?

5.  One review mentioned noises during the ceremony or cocktail hour while they were setting up the upstairs...was that an issue for you?  

6.  Was heating ok?  I saw that was an issue in another review.

7. any other advice -- !

Thanks!

Re: Salvage One - Advice

• edited March 2017
    Hi:

I was wondering, since S1 is a popular venue, if anyone has any advice in terms of planning?  We booked a date - April - but I'm planning it from out of town and don't really know where to begin and don't know anyone else that has gotten married there.

Specifically - 
    1. who did you use as a caterer? Venues usually have "preferred" caterers- ask the coordinator at the venue.  were you able to negotiate the budget down at all? In my experience, minimums couldn't be negotiated unless it was an off-weekend but you could adjust the contents of a package somewhat- swap out one thing for something else, for example. Is it practical in the space to try to have trays for appetizers out instead of servers during cocktail hour or is it too cluttered with the antiques? Again, just ask the coordinator. In my experience, if money isn't an issue, get the passed apps rather than a tray. People will crowd around trays but passed apps have been flow. 

2. who did you use to cleanup decorations or BYOB alcohol at the end of the night?  I noticed it has to be something like 'swept' in the contract. Ask the coordinator for recommendations. EDIT TO ADD- Your caterer will clean up their own stuff. You normally have to remove your own decor unless it's in, say, a florist contract. BYO-Alcohol? I hope you mean purchasing your own and not having guests bring in their own. If you're bringing it all, again, talk to your caterer. 

3.  where did you book a hotel block? Use Google Maps and start making phone calls. If you can find one really close, people may walk or be okay taking cabs/uber. If one isn't close, it would be wise to consider a shuttle. 

4.  did you have an informal after party at a bar? which one? Most weddings I've been to don't have an after party; even informal parties just end up being a hotel. In my experience it's not really worth planning unless your crowd is widely comprised of night owls. 

5.  One review mentioned noises during the ceremony or cocktail hour while they were setting up the upstairs...was that an issue for you?  If you already booked it it's too late to worry about that. 

6.  Was heating ok?  I saw that was an issue in another review. If you already booked it it's too late to worry about that. 

7. any other advice -- !

Thanks!
    Hi,
    I know this was posted ages ago but maybe you still needed some help.