Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

A Fun Look Back

One of my favorites parts of our wedding was our engagement announcement.  A co-worker of mine recently got engaged and asked to see it so I pulled it out to show her and read through it again myself.  It was so fun that I wanted to share it and the awesome accompanying photo of course!

(Personal identifying information such as names and locations have been crossed out for the privacy of our families)

BP and JM announce loudly, clearly, and with strong steady voices their engagement to be lawfully wedded into marriage, which will encompass “knot tying,” “hitching,” “broom jumping,” “glass stomping,” and the oppression of no more than one ankle each by the fastening of balls and chains to said ankles.

The bride to be is the daughter of HP and LP of X, PA. She is a 2010 graduate of X College where she learned how to manage time by drinking coffee, was very active in theater, and failed statistics because it's useless. She works as the Secretary of Special Education for X.  In her free time she is active in community theater, has achieved the status of a level 80 night elf hunter, and much to the chagrin of her groom-to-be she's never eaten, or attempted to eat, their pet cat.

The groom to be is the son of SK and JK of X, PA, and the late JM. He is a 2002 graduate of X University where he discovered electricity, taught sharks to lie, and of the force became a pupil he did. He currently works as a Guest Relations Representative at X. In his free time he is present in community theater on occasion, enjoys eating sins, and causing strangers' pets to doubt their owners.

They will assume their roles as spouses on Halloween which, contrary to popular belief, is the most wonderful time of the year. The ceremony, requiring guests to attend in costume, will take place at the Masonic Hall in X followed by a frightfully festive and fantastical feast, fraught with fearful fun and fabulous frivolity ranging from funny to freakishly phenomenal.

Re: A Fun Look Back

• edited March 2017
    Cute!

ETA: I missed the required costume part. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017
    Um, OK.  I don't really get it.  How did this announcement reach your family and friends?  Engagement announcements are only published in newspapers.  Was this on Facebook?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • One of my favorites parts of our wedding was our engagement announcement.  A co-worker of mine recently got engaged and asked to see it so I pulled it out to show her and read through it again myself.  It was so fun that I wanted to share it and the awesome accompanying photo of course!

(Personal identifying information such as names and locations have been crossed out for the privacy of our families)

BP and JM announce loudly, clearly, and with strong steady voices their engagement to be lawfully wedded into marriage, which will encompass “knot tying,” “hitching,” “broom jumping,” “glass stomping,” and the oppression of no more than one ankle each by the fastening of balls and chains to said ankles.

The bride to be is the daughter of HP and LP of X, PA. She is a 2010 graduate of X College where she learned how to manage time by drinking coffee, was very active in theater, and failed statistics because it's useless. She works as the Secretary of Special Education for X.  In her free time she is active in community theater, has achieved the status of a level 80 night elf hunter, and much to the chagrin of her groom-to-be she's never eaten, or attempted to eat, their pet cat.

The groom to be is the son of SK and JK of X, PA, and the late JM. He is a 2002 graduate of X University where he discovered electricity, taught sharks to lie, and of the force became a pupil he did. He currently works as a Guest Relations Representative at X. In his free time he is present in community theater on occasion, enjoys eating sins, and causing strangers' pets to doubt their owners.

They will assume their roles as spouses on Halloween which, contrary to popular belief, is the most wonderful time of the year. The ceremony, requiring guests to attend in costume, will take place at the Masonic Hall in X followed by a frightfully festive and fantastical feast, fraught with fearful fun and fabulous frivolity ranging from funny to freakishly phenomenal.

Oh, no!  You didn't!  :(
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • This did run in our local papers!  The one paper did request that we submit a photo that showed our faces but that would have ruined the whole spirit of it so we said no and told them they could either use that one or run it without a picture.  They ran it with the photo and we got the most hits of any announcement that month plus it inspired a really cool article about making weddings less formal and more personal.

Also yes, our guests were required to attend in costume and every single of of them went above and beyond!  It was fantastic!
    edited March 2017
    This did run in our local papers!  The one paper did request that we submit a photo that showed our faces but that would have ruined the whole spirit of it so we said no and told them they could either use that one or run it without a picture.  They ran it with the photo and we got the most hits of any announcement that month plus it inspired a really cool article about making weddings less formal and more personal.

Also yes, our guests were required to attend in costume and every single of of them went above and beyond!  It was fantastic!
    I just can't go along with "requiring" your guests to dress a certain way.  Inviting them, making it optional - maybe.  I know several people who would have been offended by this breech of etiquette.  I am guessing that there was some disapproval in the community that you did not see.  Many people regard marriage as a solemn and sacred occasion.  Then they party at the reception.
    As long as your announcement was published in the newspaper, not mailed, I have no issue with that.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Well, considering everyone showed up in a costume it doesn't seem like anyone had too big of a problem with it!  We also put it out there that a mask with formal attire "counted" as a costume and there were a few guests that went that way with it instead of a full blown costume.  The few who truly disproved of the way we structured our day simply didn't attend which we preferred.  Naturally, we didn't want attending our wedding to make anyone uncomfortable!
  • Didn't you have your bridesmaids force people who didn't show up in costume to wear masks or was that a different Halloween wedding?
  • downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2017
    Sorry, but I just can't get behind requiring your guests to wear costumes to your wedding...and to me, a mask with formal attire is still a costume. Some people just aren't into wearing costumes (myself included), and it isn't fair to make them wear something they're uncomfortable with in order to attend your wedding. What would you have done if someone had shown up without a costume? Is it really preferable to you that someone not attend your wedding at all rather than show up just wearing what they'd normally wear to a wedding?
    edited March 2017
    Well, your wedding has already taken place.  I wouldn't have brought this up, but when you post something and expect us to tell you that it is wonderful, I think of the new lurker Knotties who might not realize that the costume requirement is rude.
    It is not unusual for brides to ask us about telling their guests to wear, or not to wear certain colors or styles for their wedding.  They are always told that it is rude to tell the guests what to wear.  Costumes are no different.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • greeninspringgreeninspring member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited March 2017
    I know this wedding is done and passed but I think requiring costumes is so much more worse than requiring certain colors (both are wrong). Lots of people do not feel comfortable wearing costumes, even to regular Halloween parties..much less a wedding. 

ETA: I don't get why people who think formal weddings are out of date or boring. I know the OP said this inspired a separate article on casual weddings. I think both casual and formal can be nice if they're done tastefully and fit the couples style but I wouldn't say that ones better than the other. 
  • Also, statics are useless. Seriously, that's in your wedding announcement?
  • OP, I see that you redacted the info in your post here (which I get--I would, too).  If you're concerned about internet privacy, just be aware that one of your previous posts links to the original announcement with names and other details.  If privacy is a concern, you may want to remove that link.
  • I just....why? Did you not get enough attention the first time around? 

And damn, how tacky to require your guest to put on a costume. And those that didn't want to oblige - you're glad they didn't come? Wow. 
  • I actually would love to see pictures though. It sounds like an awesome party. But I wish OP would have simply told guests they have the option to wear a mask or costume if they want, without acting like it is a requirement to get in the door. 
  • Spoiler alert: we can still find the real announcement as well as the article about your wedding. And why did you come back if "after taking her fill of rude and downright mean comments" you left the Knot? Seems like you came back after all. People didn't disagree with your plans because they weren't "traditional." Get a grip. People took issue with your plans because they were rude. You should have never forced people to dress up. That was rude.

One of my good childhood friends had one of the most eclectic weddings I've ever been to. She wore ten inch heels. The music played was death metal and punk. She incorporated her (and her husband's) other fun quirks into the wedding (which did include their love of the macabre/Halloween). But she didn't ask anything of the guests, just that they come and celebrate together. You demanded your guests dress up to match your vision. How selfish. 

• Damn, my sinus and chest congestion have affected my brain. :| What everyone else said.
  • flantasticflantastic member
    edited March 2017
    Also, statics are useless. Seriously, that's in your wedding announcement?
    Statistics are useless to her, but it matters how many hits the announcement got relative to others.
  • I don't know, for some reason I just can't get over his shirt in the announcement picture.
    That is the only  thing I enjoyed in this whole post.