Wedding Etiquette Forum

Rehearsal

Hello everyone! 

I am planning a small wedding (25 guests or less) for July of this year. I do not believe that we actually need a rehearsal.  Wedding is at 7pm outside weather permitting, inside if the heat is too much or it is raining. There will be an obvious aisle either way and my FI is walking down the aisle first with our dog. So he will already be standing there, so his groomsmen  (4) can line up behind him. The bridesmaids (3) will follow the groomsmen and I believe, are fully aware how and where they should be. 

Thoughts? Is it against etiquette to just not have one? I have only been in one wedding, the rehearsal was a disaster, and was not useful for any of us on the actual wedding day. That bride says she shouldn't have wasted her time with it. Thank you in advance for any input. 

Re: Rehearsal

• Hello everyone! 

I am planning a small wedding (25 guests or less) for July of this year. I do not believe that we actually need a rehearsal.  Wedding is at 7pm outside weather permitting, inside if the heat is too much or it is raining. There will be an obvious aisle either way and my FI is walking down the aisle first with our dog. So he will already be standing there, so his groomsmen  (4) can line up behind him. The bridesmaids (3) will follow the groomsmen and I believe, are fully aware how and where they should be. 

Thoughts? Is it against etiquette to just not have one? I have only been in one wedding, the rehearsal was a disaster, and was not useful for any of us on the actual wedding day. That bride says she shouldn't have wasted her time with it. Thank you in advance for any input. 
    Totally fine not to have a rehearsal! Most of the time they're unnecessary, and it sounds like your ceremony is pretty straight forward. There is nothing that says you need to have one, so if it doesn't work for you and your FI, don't feel bad about skipping it. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Totally fine to skip one.  Your ceremony sounds very straightforward.
  • You are not required by etiquette to have a rehearsal. If you skip the rehearsal, you are not required to host a rehearsal dinner. If you end up having a rehearsal, you should host something appropriate for the time of day immediately afterwards.
    *********************************************************************************

• I had a small wedding also.  We were going to have a rehearsal, but our officiant couldn't make it at the last minute.  It was NBD and the ceremony went just fine the next day.

We still had a "rehearsal dinner" that night, because it was already planned.  It just turned into a lovely night of socializing with family I don't usually get to see. 

Like other PPs have said, it's fine to have no rehearsal.  And, if you don't have a rehearsal, you don't need to host a lunch/dinner either.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Awesome thanks ya'll! We have a group of people staying at our home where the wedding will actually be, so we having a "dinner" already (pizza). And then a game night with d&d and video games. 
  • Yup, no need for a rehearsal, especially for such a small, straightforward wedding. Walking down an aisle is not rocket science.  I honestly don't know why so many people freak out about rehearsals. 

• Awesome thanks ya'll! We have a group of people staying at our home where the wedding will actually be, so we having a "dinner" already (pizza). And then a game night with d&d and video games
    This sounds like the best way to de-stress before the wedding, IMHO. :)