DIY Wedding Forum

Looking for ideas

FI and I are both outdoorsy... we haven't decided for sure yet, but it's very likely our wedding will be outdoors. In the bush, more or less.

We're looking at making the favors ourselves, to save cash... and we're having a lot of trouble coming up with something to commemorate the day without seeming tacky.

I kind of like the idea of tree slice coasters... but FI thinks they're tacky. He likes a pinecone fire starter... I think it's tacky.

We both like the idea of food, but are both worried about bugs.

Re: Looking for ideas

• VADI said:
    FI and I are both outdoorsy... we haven't decided for sure yet, but it's very likely our wedding will be outdoors. In the bush, more or less.

We're looking at making the favors ourselves, to save cash... and we're having a lot of trouble coming up with something to commemorate the day without seeming tacky.

I kind of like the idea of tree slice coasters... but FI thinks they're tacky. He likes a pinecone fire starter... I think it's tacky.

You could skip favors entirely.  They aren't required.

If you really want them, the consensus is that edible favors are the only kind people typically like.  I've thrown out more of those silly "bells" and baggies of mints than you want to know about.  It's likely giving someone a single coaster is going to result in them throwing it out.  I actually kind of like the firestarter, because I make my own and would use that, but many people don't camp or don't have fires, so that would be a "know your group" thing.

You could do a cookie/candy bar, individually packaged smores (although some people hate them, some love them) etc.  Our favors are booze, so for the kids/non drinkers I am putting together containers of awesome candy and chocolate.

If you are worried about bugs, do you have a plan to keep your wedding meal bug-free?
  • Not really, no. We're not even sure what to do about the meal yet, either... we'd like to have a reception, but it will really depend on whether we can pull it off with the budget we have. We're thinking it will likely be a bbq type affair... or a light spread.
  • Re: favors, what about packaged edible favors that evoke the outdoors (meaning: things one might eat around a fire)? I love PPs suggestion about s'mores, but as she mentions, not everyone likes s'mores. Our you could have little packages of hot cocoa wrapped together with cinnamon sticks and mini marshmallows. Or cookies shaped like pine trees, pinecones, tents, etc. 

Re: your wedding/reception, you mentioned not having a plan for bugs, but do you have a plan for inclement weather or temps that are too cold/too hot for guests to be outdoors comfortably? 
  • There's a small cabin nearby we might be able to use... but we haven't secured permission yet. SO many things to think about.

• I was planning on posting about reception stuff in the reception forum. Obviously there are other things than favors to think about.... but it's the DIY part of our wedding, thought it was appropriate here.........
  • You can skip favors. They're not necessary. 

But if you're asking people to come witness your wedding ceremony, you need to host something for them that includes some kind of food and drink (the reception). The reception is a thank you to the guests for attending the ceremony. 
    And they need to be hosted appropriately. With chairs, a reasonable climate plan, toilets, food and drink appropriate to the time of day etc. favors should be one of the last things you think about. 
    YES. All of this too. It sounds like you have a lot of other things you need to figure out. 

My H and I love the outdoors too and we're very much into rock climbing. My H, god love him, wanted to have our ceremony at the cliff we climb at. He wanted us to exchange vows after climbing up, hanging in mid-air, and then do a simul-rappel down. In a wedding dress and tux. Such a fun idea, right? But the logistics were a nightmare and that would have been insane to do to our guests. So we compromised. We climbed by ourselves the day before, and the next day we got married close by at a mountain resort, with a fully hosted event.  
  • VADI said:
    I was planning on posting about reception stuff in the reception forum. Obviously there are other things than favors to think about.... but it's the DIY part of our wedding, thought it was appropriate here.........
    It's totally the appropriate place to post just too soon to worry! :)
  • VADI said:
    I was planning on posting about reception stuff in the reception forum. Obviously there are other things than favors to think about.... but it's the DIY part of our wedding, thought it was appropriate here.........
    LOL I'm a planner. I like having a plan... and I can't plan anything else right now... but I can plan favors! ahhaha
  • VADI said:
    VADI said:
    LOL I'm a planner. I like having a plan... and I can't plan anything else right now... but I can plan favors! ahhaha
    I'm a planner too, and if you're anything like me, you'll change your mind 20 times. It's probably a good idea to have some ideas and write them down with costs, but my advice is to definitely get the big things out of the way first, and stress about the little stuff later. :)  
  • VADI said:

Figure out your guest list first and foremost, because it drives everything else!  For all you know, your ceremony and/or reception may never even take place outdoors.  Starting anything too soon may actually end up costing you cash, particularly if any of your plans need to change between now and your wedding date.
  • MobKaz said:
    VADI said:

Figure out your guest list first and foremost, because it drives everything else!  For all you know, your ceremony and/or reception may never even take place outdoors.  Starting anything too soon may actually end up costing you cash, particularly if any of your plans need to change between now and your wedding date.
    Absolutely this. My plans changed about almost everything between getting engaged and married. Favors are completely optional. Take care of the location, officiant, catering, and seating before getting your heart set on something you don't need.
  • lol, I know what you're saying.

Newfoundland is pretty special... it's almost a way of life. The hunting, fishing, outdoors... if you don't love it... you don't live there.  The OOT guests will only really be my immediate family, and a few close friends, all of whom are aware to dress appropriately.

We're looking at a few places - most are an outdoor / indoor venue, we just need to settle on one.
  • I would table favors right now. Especially if you're already trying to save cash. It's amazing how fast money goes when planning a wedding. 

If, at the end, you are looking for things to spend money on, then consider favors. And I do not think DIY is always cheaper. 

Edible favors are usually pretty popular. You could have cookies in the shape of pinecones and trees (compromise).
    *********************************************************************************

• I last moved about 10 years ago.  I can't tell you how many wedding favors I threw in the trash before loading up the moving van.
    Wedding favors are not required.  If they are "keepsake" wedding favors, then they are a damned nuisance!
    I think you should focus your time and energy on planning your wedding for your guests comfort and convenience.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • My idea of "roughing it" is a hotel with doors to the outside.  I would MUCH rather focus on not having to deal with bugs while I eat at a reception (even if only "cake & punch" reception) than worry about a favor.  It sounds like bottles of bug spray might be your best bet thus far (it'd be in the family of the event that gave away CFL bulbs as favors)..  Please consider that the bush is a logistical nighmare that is going to cost you a lot in add-ons (table/chair/tent rentals, garbage hauling - and pest management including the four-legged critter kind, bathroom/PP rental, etc.)..  A shelter house at the park will get you that outdoorsy experience with access to indoor plumbing and proper shelter, access to plug-ins, and won't cost a fortune.