Favors

Ideas for garden themed wedding.

Hello all. I'm looking for ideas for favors for about 115 guests for a garden themed wedding that won't break the bank.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. -Lao Tzu

Re: Ideas for garden themed wedding.

• Skip them if it doesn't seem easy/natural. 

Or or do something edible. Little candies or snacks will get consumed. Candles and charms/ knock knacks will get left behind or thrown away eventually. Save your money or put it towards something else. Little packets of wildflower seeds might be cute but I would only do it if it is something you are prepared to use the remainder of.
  • Most people agree that edibles are the way to go. Cookies or candies wrapped of course are not horribly expensive. Is there something for which your area is known? DD had caramels that were made by a local company. I think including the the box we put them in, they cost about $2 per person.
  • Agree with PPs.  Go edible/consumable.  Maybe chocolate covered sunflower seeds if you want something different?  A cookie frosted and shaped like a leaf or flower would be nice as would a lemonade or ice tea mix.  If your wedding location is known for a certain type of dessert or snack, you could use that item.
    Anniversary

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017
    Favors are not required at weddings.  They are completely optional, and many couples skip them.

Themes are not necessary for weddings.  If a garden "theme" is making choices like this difficult, then skip the theme and just have a nice garden wedding.

Those "wildflower" seed packets are really weeds.  They spread like crazy, and you end up pulling them out for years to come.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Favors aren't necessary, but if you have your heart set on them, edibles are definitely the way to go. What about flower-shaped cookies or candies?
  • Ugh I hate edible flavors. Like if I wanted candy I'd buy it myself? Why would you give me a cookie after you served me dessert? It just makes no sense. I feel like an edible favor is just part of dessert.

OP, if I were having a garden wedding, I'd go for mini succullents or some other kind of seed / plant. This seems easy!
  • I have to agree that edibles are the way to go. If people don't want them, they'll leave them and then at least you're saddled with cookies (oh nooooo!) instead of a bunch of shot glasses or something. 

If you don't want to go edible, what about a wildflower seed packet? Or, best of both worlds, give them a cookie (or something) and write the "thanks for coming" on seed paper like this: https://www.botanicalpaperworks.com/native-species-seed-paper
    *********************************************************************************

• I do like the idea of tea! I also like the idea of seed packets as I am a certified Master Gardener in my county and my guests know that this is my "thing" but, like others have mentioned it isn't interesting to everyone. A plus on the seed end is it can be done for roughly a dollar a guest. Is there a way to do a tea favor for similiar cost? If not I will be resigned to a pretty floral cookie, although I'm not entirely excited by that idea especially since the cookies can't be made too far ahead of time. I want to cover as much ground as possible now and leave the last few months of my engagement to other more time sensitive matters.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. -Lao Tzu

• I do like the idea of tea! I also like the idea of seed packets as I am a certified Master Gardener in my county and my guests know that this is my "thing" but, like others have mentioned it isn't interesting to everyone. A plus on the seed end is it can be done for roughly a dollar a guest. Is there a way to do a tea favor for similiar cost? If not I will be resigned to a pretty floral cookie, although I'm not entirely excited by that idea especially since the cookies can't be made too far ahead of time. I want to cover as much ground as possible now and leave the last few months of my engagement to other more time sensitive matters.
    If you purchase bulk tea and inexpensive tins (I get them online) you could probably be pretty close to a dollar.  I've purchased 2 oz tins with lids for .98 cents each.  I've also seen tea packaged in little glass vials.  
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I do like the idea of tea! I also like the idea of seed packets as I am a certified Master Gardener in my county and my guests know that this is my "thing" but, like others have mentioned it isn't interesting to everyone. A plus on the seed end is it can be done for roughly a dollar a guest. Is there a way to do a tea favor for similiar cost? If not I will be resigned to a pretty floral cookie, although I'm not entirely excited by that idea especially since the cookies can't be made too far ahead of time. I want to cover as much ground as possible now and leave the last few months of my engagement to other more time sensitive matters.
    One of my coworkers did tea favours for their wedding. They bought the tea ("Mint to Be") from David's in bulk as big as they could get. Then they bought their own little tins (probably had 2-3 tea servings in it) that they packaged the tea in, then had stickers made for the tins with their initials and wedding date. David's tea *is* pricey, but if you buy bulk and separate it yourself, the favour still shouldn't be more than $1-2 per person.

Packets of seeds is an option- likely not too pricey, it's something that is "you" so it makes sense, and easy to transport. The only concern would be, especially with wild flowers, is are they a species that is native to your guests region?

A small plant or succulent is a nice idea, but for any guests traveling, the plants may not make the trip. And as said above, it's easier for you if a bunch of edible items get left behind if guests don't want them vs being stuck with a bunch of small potted plants or other trinket you don't need 10 of.